Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2021, 08:06 PM   #2001
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Hmmm, one of the technophiles needs to calculate how many miles the stereo costs out of the 620 (potential). Heh, heh, YMMV.
Where is ERD50 when you need him
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2021, 08:17 PM   #2002
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I was thinking the same thing and expect he'll have the answer soon.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply
Old 11-29-2021, 08:26 PM   #2003
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
calculate how many miles the stereo costs out of the 620 (potential).
1,000 km range.
100 km / h.
100 kWh energy.
1 kW 'leakage'.

First approximation:

Time: 1,000 km / 100 km/h = 10 h.
Leakage: 1 kW * 10 h = 10 kWh
'Useful' energy: 100 kWh - 10 kWh = 90 kWh
'Leaky' Range: 90 kWh * 1,000 km / 100 kWh = 900 km.

Only if in autodrive mode as driver would be well done by time battery flattened.

Time to apply calculus to determine precise range.
Samsung4321 is offline   Reply
Old 11-29-2021, 08:31 PM   #2004
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Who needs to go anywhere with the internet, Uber Eats now delivering food and weed, Amazon Prime + FedEx, UPS and Shipt, and soon enough all of THAT will be automated with no human needed. I think Musk said that in 10 years there won't be steering wheels in new production auto. That means my son not only will miss out on the "manual" transmission but also the "manual" steering of a car. AI will be the next thing that gets tackled at break neck speed after we solve the EV puzzle. There is a point of no return but I still think people hold onto things so there will always be that guy down the street with an old gasoline car. But imagine when gas stations stop selling gas. That will be the day.

That whole we are addicted to oil idea will get shuttered.

I am convinced at some point people and goods will be modularized transport. Ride sharing will be common place with transfer stations basically in place of gas stations. You will go to the gas station to get picked up instead of fill up. Then the name of the consumer game will be, how long can we keep you at the transfer to make $$$ off of you.
Old 11-29-2021, 08:39 PM   #2005
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsung4321 View Post

<SNIP>

Only if in autodrive mode as driver would be well done by time battery flattened.
Heh, heh, I was still driving 10 hours in the ol' Buick at age 65. Not so much anymore but YMMV.

So, how many miles lost to the stereo? ~6??

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 11-29-2021, 08:43 PM   #2006
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hmmm, one of the technophiles needs to calculate how many miles the stereo costs out of the 620 (potential). Heh, heh, YMMV.
I saw that the NIO ET7 has a 150-kWh battery to deliver that 600-mile range. That works out to 0.25 kWh/mile, which is about right, usually at the speed of 60 mph.

Then, driving at 60 mph, the motor burns 0.25 kWh every mile or every minute. That's 0.25 * 60 = 15 kW power. Now, add the audio power to that.

The 1kW audio is only peak power. I don't believe any loudspeaker, or human listener can stand 1 kW audio power continuously, but let's just use the 1 kW continuous.

Then, the car uses 16 kW total instead of 15 kW. The range will be shortened proportionally. Instead of 600 miles, it is now 600*15/16 = 562.5 miles.

PS. By the way, a 150-kWh battery is 50% more than the biggest Tesla battery of 100 kWh. I wonder how much this ET7 weighs. The darn thing is going to be heavy like a Rolls Royce.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply
Old 11-29-2021, 08:55 PM   #2007

Quote:
Not available yet. What theory precludes it?
I suppose there is no theory that precludes charging a 100 kWh battery in one second, but in practice I would guess it's impossible. That's a lot of power to be transferring in one second. I suspect the amount of heat created alone would be problematic, not to mention the size of the charging cable and charge point terminals.

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Qs Laptop is offline   Reply
Old 11-29-2021, 08:56 PM   #2008
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I saw that the NIO ET7 has a 150-kWh battery to deliver that 600-mile range. That works out to 0.25 kWh/mile, which is about right, usually at the speed of 60 mph.

Then, driving at 60 mph, the motor burns 0.25 kWh every mile or every minute. That's 0.25 * 60 = 15 kW power. Now, add the audio power to that.

The 1kW audio is only peak power. I don't believe any loudspeaker, or human listener can stand 1 kW audio power continuously, but let's just use the 1 kW continuous.

Then, the car uses 16 kW total instead of 15 kW. The range will be shortened proportionally. Instead of 600 miles, it is now 600*15/16 = 562.5 miles.

PS. By the way, a 150-kWh battery is 50% more than the biggest Tesla battery of 100 kWh. I wonder how much this ET7 weighs. The darn thing is going to be heavy like a Rolls Royce.
Yeah, I recall when folks were experimenting with cars powered by electric motors supplied by lead-acid batteries. Someone very quickly coined the term "Lead Sled."

Oh, and thanks for the calculations.

Old 11-29-2021, 09:02 PM   #2009
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Busy with Christmas decos! I see Samsung4321 and NW-Bound covered it (pick your units - km or miles!), with the real-world observation that no one will be blasting 1KW into speakers for long.

Quote:

... .
-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply
Old 11-29-2021, 09:04 PM   #2010
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qs Laptop View Post
I suppose there is no theory that precludes charging a 100 kWh battery in one second, but in practice I would guess it's impossible. That's a lot of power to be transferring in one second. I suspect the amount of heat created alone would be problematic, not to mention the size of the charging cable and charge point terminals.

https://www.early-retirement.org/for...ml#post2693801
Old 11-29-2021, 09:04 PM   #2011
Give me a forum ...

Can't find out about the weight of this ET7.

FYI: A Rolls Royce Cullinan weighs 6,069 lbs. A Tesla X P100D with the 100-kWh battery already weighs 5,531 lbs.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 11-29-2021, 09:15 PM   #2012
Give me a forum ...

Remember this ad slogan from Wendy's in the 80s: "Where's the beef?"

It's now "Where's the electricity?"

I just saw this article on Yahoo Finance.

Quote:
The cheapest coal in America has never been so expensive, as demand for the dirtiest fossil fuel surges ahead of winter.

Coal from the Powder River Basin in Wyoming and Montana more than doubled in the past month to $30.70 a ton, according to data from S&P Global Market Intelligence released Monday. That’s the highest in spot-market records going back to 2005. Pricier coal from Central Appalacia has also surged to a 12-year high.

U.S. power plants are burning more coal amid a global shortage of natural gas. But miners are struggling to boost output and supply-chain bottlenecks are holding up deliveries...

See: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/dirti...165950822.html

Old 11-29-2021, 09:32 PM   #2013
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
"Coal from the Powder River Basin in Wyoming and Montana more than doubled in the past month to $30.70 a ton"
China sucking in; affecting 'stranded' coal price in USA - especially after banning Australian coal.

Why is the coal industry making more money than ever before?
'"If you look at the increase in coal-fired power demand for the year to August, it's equivalent to 190 million tonnes of coal burnt," Mr Simington said.'
'The price of coal in China has now hit a staggering US$350 ($468) a tonne for a less quality product than Australian coal.'

Coal, Australian thermal coal Monthly Price - US Dollars per Metric Ton
Old 11-29-2021, 09:44 PM   #2014
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
China sucking in; affecting 'stranded' coal price in USA - especially after banning Australian coal.

Why is the coal industry making more money than ever before?
'"If you look at the increase in coal-fired power demand for the year to August, it's equivalent to 190 million tonnes of coal burnt," Mr Simington said.'
'The price of coal in China has now hit a staggering US$350 ($468) a tonne for a less quality product than Australian coal.'

Coal, Australian thermal coal Monthly Price - US Dollars per Metric Ton
Quote:
Remember this ad slogan from Wendy's in the 80s: "Where's the beef?"

It's now "Where's the electricity?"

I just saw this article on Yahoo Finance.

See: https://finance.yahoo.com/news/dirti...165950822.html
I see this as a corollary to the old adage that you can't fool mother nature. Deciding that coal is dirty and Nat. Gas is clean and green(er) sets us up for supply-chain issues that (in the relatively inelastic energy markets) cause wide fluctuations in prices. Maybe some day we'll sort it all out. For now, it's gonna be a mess and it's gonna be expensive - and not all that green IMHO. YMMV

Old 11-29-2021, 09:46 PM   #2015
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
how many miles lost to the stereo? ~6??

'Leakless' range: 1,000 km.
'Leaky' range: 900 km. (Actually 909.09 km).
Change in range: -100 km * 0.6214 ml/km = -62.14 ml.
Old 11-29-2021, 09:54 PM   #2016
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Deciding that coal is dirty and Nat. Gas is clean and green(er) sets us up for supply-chain issues that (in the relatively inelastic energy markets) cause wide fluctuations in prices.
Caused by COVID-19 affected world, esp USA, shifting manufacturing demand to non-COVID-19 affected world, esp China. People bored at home increasing orders of on-line stuff, ports clogged, frantic double ordering.

All turn on head when the stuff passes through the ports.
Old 11-29-2021, 10:03 PM   #2017
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Caused by COVID-19 affected world, esp USA, shifting manufacturing demand to non-COVID-19 affected world, esp China. People bored at home increasing orders of on-line stuff, ports clogged, frantic double ordering.

All turn on head when the stuff passes through the ports.
I was talking about the supply-chain of fossil fuels - not consumer goods. Sorry I didn't make that more clear. YMMV

Old 11-29-2021, 10:13 PM   #2018
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I was talking about the supply-chain of fossil fuels - not consumer goods. Sorry I didn't make that more clear. YMMV
Understood.

Unexpected increase in demand in supply-chain for consumer goods results in unexpected manufacturing energy demand and unexpected price increase for energy and goods.

Longer term demand for goods is inversely related to the relative price of constituent commodities.
Old 11-29-2021, 10:26 PM   #2019

Quote:
Your link addresses a possible charging cable design that can handle 2,400 amps without frying which might, possibly, make it feasible to charge an EV in FIVE minutes.

Wishing something theoretical that might possibly be done in 5 minutes could get extrapolated to be possible in 1 minute is fantasy.

You're going to have to do better than that!

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Qs Laptop is offline   Reply
Old 11-30-2021, 01:10 AM   #2020
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qs Laptop View Post
Your link addresses a possible charging cable design that can handle 2,400 amps without frying which might, possibly, make it feasible to charge an EV in FIVE minutes.

Wishing something theoretical that might possibly be done in 5 minutes could get extrapolated to be possible in 1 minute is fantasy.

You're going to have to do better than that!
Already did - check the current. EV Charging Cable resistance: ~800 mΩ/km = ~8 mΩ/10m.

Joule’s Law: H (Heat) = I (Current) x V (Voltage) x T (Time).

or: H (Heat) = I^2 (Current squared) x R (Resistance) x T (Time).

Water vaporised 10 m cable: = ((1000 ^ 2) * 0.008 * 60) / 2260000 = 0.212 kg = small cup.

3 m cable: 0.064 kg.

Joule
  • energy transferred to (or work done on) an object when a force of one newton acts on that object in the direction of the force's motion through a distance of one metre (1 newton-metre or N⋅m).
  • energy dissipated as heat when an electric current of one ampere passes through a resistance of one ohm for one second.
Closed Thread