Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-14-2018, 08:46 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

No real purge here. I was lucky enough to be able to wear the official work uniform for most of my career so never accumulated much in the way off business or business casual clothing. Still have one suit (the one I got married in) and a dress jacket. A few pairs of dress/casual pants and shirts. I continue to wear the 7 or 8 Geoff Norman golf shirts that I bought in Hong Kong in 2001 and they are supplemented by various newer golf shirts with rec sports teams logos that I play on. My 501s get tossed when they rip in compromising places (ie not the knees). The only kind of sock I have is Thorlos and they go when threadbare. I did toss a bunch of vintage underwear recently as the elastic was not anymore. My mother works in a thrift store at 85 and still contributes the odd nice fleece but I have pretty high standards as you can likely tell.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2018, 08:53 AM   #42

I cut a little too deep when downsizing, so ended up having to buy a few things back. While I didn't think I needed dress clothes anymore, then realized my retired life still left many opportunities for dressier attire (certain cruises, helping with early voting which is business casual, dinner events for charities, etc) and still have to factor in weather. Still far less than working years but more than I had estimated.
karen1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:01 AM   #43

My strategy for purging is the same as calmloki, pack the worst clothes to travel and throw them out when I bought new ones in Europe. Mostly cotton t-shirts that I bough for $5 and have worn them for five years already. The worst of the bunch of my clothes, I give them to my art teacher, she cuts them out for the oil painting classes.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:26 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

I sold the high end stuff to thredup thru the mail. They send you a prepaid heavy plastic bag which you fill and then take outside for the mailman to pickup. Pennies on the dollar, but you don't even have to carry to your car. Formal gowns donated to a prom dress charity except my plainest dressiest one and my fun wedding one. Suits and ugly professional heels gone. Sandals that hurt my toe gone. Costume jwelry donated to a thrift shop. Real jewelry im not feeling sold for the metal weight through the mail (this was a hassle, do not recommend). I had probably 30 feet of hanging rod space and I decided speed helped so I went as fast as possible and went hanger by hanger. if I didn't love it and it fit my new lifestyle, I dropped it to the floor. Then a quick sort of trash/sell/donate and a couple pieces went to my sister. I think I had something like 50 dressy sundresses that I wore to daytime ceremonies/receptions/whatever for the military. Those were my favorite to see gone. No more standing in the hot sun in a tight dress and heels pretending like Im not dying inside.
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:28 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
Lots of cables that are now useless,
So I got rid of a bunch of cables and sure enough, there’s one cable I didn’t know what it was for, sure to form, I figured it out (needed it) about two weeks later. Oh well, just a small risk for the benefit gained by getting rid of so much stuff.
Old 10-14-2018, 09:43 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimcdougc View Post
If two new things come in two go out. We downsized to an 800 square foot house. I have lost 30 lbs in the last few months. Won't buy any new jeans until I get down to my desired weight. I did purchase a good leather belt to hold up my pants. lol. I will buy a couple of shirts every time I go down a size till I get to my goal. Need to purge many clothes now so does DH.
How did you lose 30 pounds? Congratulations!
Old 10-14-2018, 09:46 AM   #47

Oh we got rid of lots of furniture we had collected bc we will "never live in a house this big again." And cheap artwork. And assorted window treatments. Guess what we are under contract on? Im short atleast 2 rooms of furniture. Good thing I like choosing new furniture. Would not have matched this house anyway stylewise
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:53 AM   #48

I’ve always get rid of some furniture when I move. They may not fit the decor of a new one. My sister on the other hand is a hoarder, she will pack her new house with old stuff under the pretense of savings money. They look ridiculous.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote