Join Early Retirement Today

The Happiness Gene
Old 12-27-2009, 10:04 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The Happiness Gene

This Happiness Gene was mentioned in another post, but, since it seems to be so indicative of people's personality, I thought it would be appropriate for it to have it's own post as many here might be interested in the subject.
I know people with the happiness gene (like my Grandpa) and others (like my mother) who are the complete opposite. She, however, is now 91, so not sure how much this influences your total physical health; but, she probably released all her anxiety by b*tching all the time at me as a kid. Poor woman...she wanted "perfect" and all she got was me !

Happiness Is Mostly Genetic - Forbes.com
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2009, 10:12 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I know I have the Happiness gene. I inherited it from my Mom, who could get downright zany when she was in a good mood.
In the absence of OPB (Other People's BS), I tend toward outright silliness, doing childish things like kite flying, making sandcastles, coloring, starting garden hose fights, making miniature snow sculptures, etc.
And I always get "the looks" from..ahem...all those "mature" people who forgot how to laugh.
Oh well.
Just smile and wave.
Old 12-27-2009, 10:17 AM   #3

freebird5825, one of the other half-Greeks on this board, I have noticed there seem to be two distinct types in the Greek people: one is downright grumpy and even nasty at times and the other is happy-go-lucky. I got the happiness gene, too, much to my non-Greek mother's regret. We'll be happy fools together then!
Old 12-27-2009, 10:19 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Although heredity may give each of us a sort of "set point" for happiness, also situations and events in our lives can affect our happiness substantially. I am fundamentally a mildly happy person and that could be due to heredity. But because of my normally mildly happy nature, and because my life has never really been a bowl of cherries, I didn't realize how much work stress was bothering me. I knew that I wanted to retire, but the level of happiness that I have experienced since my retirement has been a delightful surprise.

Nature, or nurture - - - in this case, effects of both heredity and environment seem to pop up.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:45 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
...the level of happiness that I have experienced since my retirement has been a delightful surprise.

Nature, or nurture - - - in this case, effects of both heredity and environment seem to pop up.
You go girl!
So glad to hear this.

Regarding maintaining happiness in spite of life's slings and arrows, I think all of us here have a story to tell. This forum is full of lemonade makers from what I have seen. You all inspire me to do better.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:28 AM   #6

W2R is the happiest person I have ever known to retire I think. Good for her!
Old 12-27-2009, 11:51 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

My demeanor is exactly like my paternal grandfather; he smiled and laughed easily. When a person/experience made him angry, he'd burn for a day or two, then get it off his chest and move on. After I move on, I say, "That's a shame."

Old 12-27-2009, 03:37 PM   #8

Whether happiness is a genetic thing or it's just passed down through attitudes and actions, I don't know. However, the one thing that I do know, is that almost all of those folks on my Dad's side of the family were always a happy go lucky bunch of people! Most of them had eeked out a living scratching in the dirt, mostly as hired hands for other folks....and mostly picking cotton. But they were always very thankful for what little they had to call there own, and they were thankful that they were able to provide for their families...even in the worst of times. Many of them shared housing and food with each other for long periods of time when the going got rough....extended family instantly became immediate family. But they all survived the bad times, and continued on to thrive in the good times. My Grandparents, great-uncles/aunts, cousins...the whole array of relatives...they were all that way.....all the time!

I think because of all that they had to endure and go through, is why they were always so thankful for what they had...whether little or much...and they were not only thankful, but happy to be so blessed when there were many others that had it far worse, and were far worse off.

I was with my Grandad the evening before he passed away, and he said even though his time was short, he was very thankful and extremely happy that he'd been blessed with such a full and happy life! The main things that I remember about him are his constant smile, his joy of life, and the joy and happiness that were always present whenever he was around....and he was always singing or whistling a happy tune...always!

My Dad was much the same...always very thankful and happy that he'd been blessed with such a full and happy life, even though he was poorer than dirt for a good portion of his life, and he worked hard all of his life to provide for his family and for he and my Mom's comfortable retirement. He passed away, but he left us with memories of his happiness...his positive attitude, his contentment with life, his (sometimes twisted) sense of humor....and the ever present smile and laughter.

So whether it's a happiness gene, or just that the attitude of happiness rubbed off on me, I dunno! All I know for a fact, is that I'm a very happy person....always was, still am....and hope to remain that way 'til they compost my carcass! Oh, and speaking of compost, did I happen to mention that it's only 83 days 'til Spring?!
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote