The harvest is going full on...

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I had a nice surprise yesterday when I came home from work - My awesome wife had harvested a a big bowl of German butter potatoes (see pictures). Now to be honest -one it is the first time I grew this small potato variety- I love experimenting with new varieties. two- my type two diabetes means I can only have a very small portion (thats ok I am walking 2 times day and losing weight). Maybe I’ll cook up some spinach and put them all in an omelet

The ‘cool hand’ (DS) can have the bulk of them as his summer job at the supermarket is very strenuous so he doesn’t have an ounce of fat on him (ah to be young). I am having tomatoes, mozzarella and balsamic vinegar every night. I push DF to buy corn on the cob as often as possible. Summer is seems shorter each year.

PS I just finished breakfast and they were awesome.

How about you any harvest, farm stand produce you are enjoying? IMG_0307.jpg

Last edited:
Our home backed up against the field of a retired farmer. He rented large garden plots out to folks who lived around the perimeter of his property, so we had a huge garden. I remember digging up potatoes in the afternoon for the evening meal and picking corn, too.

My siblings would take excess veggies, put them in their bike baskets, and go door-to-door around the neighborhood selling them after school and before dinner. They made a killing.

Currently harvesting Okra once a day having eaten the first batch of fried Okra last night. It is also great in soups and gumbo. My wife uses corn meal for the batter and fries it in a skillet with minimum oils. I sent pictures to my kids in Seattle and California just to remind them they should have stayed closer to home :greetings10:

We had strawberries and blueberries earlier, now getting tomatoes and a few peppers.
Thats all I planted this year.

Currently harvesting Okra once a day having eaten the first batch of fried Okra last night. It is also great in soups and gumbo. My wife uses corn meal for the batter and fries it in a skillet with minimum oils. I sent pictures to my kids in Seattle and California just to remind them they should have stayed closer to home :greetings10:

I love to eat fresh raw okra right off the plant.

Of course, fried is also good. :D

DW puts a layer of fresh okra on a cookie sheet, lightly sprinkles it with olive oil, salt & pepper, then pops it in the oven at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes. Great stuff!

Thanks REWahoo for the tip, I'm going to try that too. We bake many other
fresh veggies, not sure why we never tried it with Okra.

VW

Got our first 2 cukes over the weekend and 2 tomatoes yesterday.
finally flavorful tomatoes again, the store one are just red things you put in salad for decoration and filler

DW puts a layer of fresh okra on a cookie sheet, lightly sprinkles it with olive oil, salt & pepper, then pops it in the oven at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes. Great stuff!

+1. Learnt this method at the soup kitchen a few years ago. First time I really enjoyed Okra.

We are harvesting:
Tomatoes
Peppers - several types
Cukes (pretty much done for the year)
Japanese Eggplant
Squash - a few mixed ones
Green onions
Sesame leaves
Red lettuce
Radishes
Plus several herbs

Once the heat breaks in September, we'll start our fall garden. Our big focus then is garlic. We've been vampire free for about 30 years.

I have veggies in pots on my patio: several types of tomatoes plus bell peppers, basil, and parsley. I have been enjoying all of these except the peppers which are just starting to ripen. I buy wonderful bread-and butter corn, garlic, green beans, onions and cut flower bouquets at a nearby roadside farm stand. A health food store in town has been selling local blueberries: giant and sweet and far surpassing those sold by grocery stores. I treat myself to these blueberries every day. There are a number of Saturday a.m. farmer's markets around but I have been lazy about getting to them plus I am not enamored of the crowds and standing in line.

My DW want to know if the layer is of complete pods, or cut up into slices before putting on the cookie sheet?

VW

Whole pods.

Oh, and that 20 minute number is + or -, depending on your oven and your "doneness" preference. Since Accidental Retiree likes them raw, maybe she'll want to just "warm 'em up and run 'em in here". :)

Last edited:
We have ten raised beds full of veggies. Our native soil is like gravel, but the beds do great.

Tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, carrots, potatoes, green beans, squash, pumpkins, zucchini, strawberries, lettuce, beets, cabbage, cucumbers, and some I probably forgot. As old back to the earth hippies, it's kinda what we do, lol.

My wife cans quite a bit, plus we furnish friends and family. I also hunt and fish. It's not really money motivated, more lifestyle I think.

We have a garden again after taking a few years off. Have been harvesting cucumbers, eggplant and peppers (hot and sweet with shishito being the most prolific this year). Our basil all got basil blight due to heavy rain so no homemade pesto this year. Now we are waiting for tomatoes, have about 20 plants all loaded up but still green. Still waiting on the watermelon, cantaloupe, and tomatillos.

Back
Top Bottom