Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

The Homeless
Old 02-15-2018, 11:01 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The Homeless

This may sound odd but I like to watch videos from time to time of people helping people. It is so inspiring and motivating for me to watch and see the love people really do have from the people giving and also from the receiving.

I live in an area where I don't see the homeless and I know and they say we have them I just don't see them. Now when I go to the bigger cities in my state I see some of it then.

I have been a charity giver and promoter of charity's all my life. I also am a board member of a charity and know the value of giving.

If I lived where I was around the homeless I would love to buy them a meal and help them on a regular bases.

If you ever feel sorry for yourself go to a nursing home or go see a homeless soul.

Your greatness isn't what we have but what we give.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2018, 11:38 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

I feel I am truly blessed and I am grateful for what I have. There are a lot of people suffering from poverty, mental illness, back luck, etc, etc. I consider myself very, very lucky in so many ways.

You mention watching videos... Do you mean like documentaries?
I often see youtube videos on FB in which people capture people helping homeless folks and such, but they are all staged, like hey, watch this, look what my kid did (=what I made my kid do), or watch this, I am going to help this homeless man right there, so start filming. Such bad taste IMO. It makes them look like self-righteous as*holes to me. (I don't feel very strongly about a lot of things, but this really, really bothers me.) so I skip this kind of videos I get on FB. Documentaries are good. Not those homemade video productions that are "fake" charity.

I have a friend in northern California and whenever he goes to downtime SF, he buys a few McD's (There's one on Powell St where the cable cars start..) and give them out to the homeless folks on the street (He doesn't believe in giving them money because he isn't sure how they would spend it. He says he just wants them to have a warm meal on him.) I love the idea.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:02 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Back in the 80s I w*rked with some homeless guys. They all had reasons, some were hopeless cases of alchohol, drug addiction, and mental illness. Other's a were just folks who screwed up a little and had unfortunate circumstances.

Of course these were higher functioning people, some weren't capable of following simple directions.

Pretty humbling actually.

I recall a women across the hall from DM in a nursing home. She looked lonely and I said hello. She seemed all alone, she'd outlived all but one of her children and he was very ill. He and I share the same first name and that meant something to that old lady. She asked if I'd pray for her son.

Another fellow from my past popped up recently. A guy who had it all, and blew it to meth. At one point he was homeless, living on the street, prostituting himself for dope. Today he's several years sober working to put his life back together.

I'm a firm believer in there but for the grace of God go I.

ETA: A friend packs homeless bags and keeps a couple in her car. Socks, underwear, t-shirts, protein bars, and a couple of dollars.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:03 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My dad used to toss whatever was left from our lunch out the window for them on road trips. As kids we thought it was neat and they jumped to grab the food. I don't see many where I live and breathe... but on vacation I saw a few in Hawaii. I tried to give what I thought was a homeless guy some cash once, turned out he was on drugs and didnt want cash but did solicit me which was oddly uncomfortable.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:05 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
I feel I am truly blessed and I am grateful for what I have. There are a lot of people suffering from poverty, mental illness, back luck, etc, etc. I consider myself very, very lucky in so many ways.

You mention watching videos... Do you mean like documentaries?
I often see youtube videos on FB in which people capture people helping homeless folks and such, but they are all staged, like hey, watch this, look what my kid did (=what I made my kid do), or watch this, I am going to help this homeless man right there, so start filming. Such bad taste IMO. It makes them look like self-righteous as*holes to me. (I don't feel very strongly about a lot of things, but this really, really bothers me.) so I skip this kind of videos I get on FB. Documentaries are good. Not those homemade video productions that are "fake" charity.

I have a friend in northern California and whenever he goes to downtime SF, he buys a few McD's (There's one on Powell St where the cable cars start..) and give them out to the homeless folks on the street (He doesn't believe in giving them money because he isn't sure how they would spend it. He says he just wants them to have a warm meal on him.) I love the idea.
Like this I one I watched this morning.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:20 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I also know there are many reasons why people live on the street. Regardless of how or why they are on the street still are people like you and I. Some of what they do we don't agree with but they need help in one way or another. I'm sure some not good people and some very good people.

I also agree a meal or cloths etc. would be the best not money.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:28 PM   #7

I met many homeless people in my life. Most of the homeless are homeless due to self-induced issues.

It's far easier to live a homeless life than to work.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Old 02-15-2018, 12:40 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Our states have gone out of the mental health field and turned out citizens on the streets that were in their facilities. There are also a bunch of veterans with PTSD and other issues not being helped much by the VA.

My father gave freely to his Union Mission and was down there weekly. He finally decided their problems just cannot be solved and just gave more money. I admire the workers and the volunteers that deal with the homeless. They can really squeeze a dollar.

But we have a new group of homeless, and they are everywhere. It is the young drug users. Our local jail is full of of them. A large percentage of inmates are methheads and they steal everything they can pawn or sell for drugs and/or for food. Few have jobs, few have cars and they have no place to live. They are in jail 3-4 months at a time, out of jail 3-4 months and they are back in jail again. These thieves are driving our community crazy. Thieves recently stole my ATV, and later my utility trailer. My daughter let one in my basement less than 5 minutes and he walked out with $2k in electronics. We just started a Facebook Stolen Stuff forum and are up to 15,000 members in 3 weeks. You have no idea how many arrests have come from thieves being ID'd and items recovered like cars & UTVs.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:42 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I have volunteered among the less fortunate for many years. I listened to their “ back stories , And I can tell you that “ there but for the grace of God, go I”. I especially feel sorry for the children. See if you can catch “ A place at the table” on utube.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:16 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
If you ever feel sorry for yourself go to a nursing home or go see a homeless soul.
Really? If anyone here actually is not intimately familiar with problems of the elderly and homeless, I would be shocked. But if the reader is not familiar with these issues, then please, stop scheduling all the international travels, luxury car test drives, and snowbirding trips long enough to see what is in front of your face among ordinary elderly and homeless people all around you.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 02-15-2018, 01:35 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post

But we have a new group of homeless, and they are everywhere. It is the young drug users. Our local jail is full of of them. A large percentage of inmates are methheads and they steal everything they can pawn or sell for drugs and/or for food. Few have jobs, few have cars and they have no place to live. They are in jail 3-4 months at a time, out of jail 3-4 months and they are back in jail again. These thieves are driving our community crazy. Thieves recently stole my ATV, and later my utility trailer. My daughter let one in my basement less than 5 minutes and he walked out with $2k in electronics. We just started a Facebook Stolen Stuff forum and are up to 15,000 members in 3 weeks. You have no idea how many arrests have come from thieves being ID'd and items recovered like cars & UTVs.
We have the same problems here in the greater Houston area. One issue is that all the jails are booked full at all times. So when the new inmates are stacked up, the local jails try to release some inmates and the process starts all over again. Houston's main jail used to hold 10,000 inmates (unsure of what that number is now) and when over booked, used to send the new inmates to Louisiana jails on a temp basis.

There are no rehab programs for these people. It's a mess.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:44 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
We have the same problems here in the greater Houston area. One issue is that all the jails are booked full at all times. So when the new inmates are stacked up, the local jails try to release some inmates and the process starts all over again. Houston's main jail used to hold 10,000 inmates (unsure of what that number is now) and when over booked, used to send the new inmates to Louisiana jails on a temp basis.

There are no rehab programs for these people. It's a mess.
Yet, between prison and rehab, rehab costs less and is the one that works:

Punishment Fails. Rehabilitation Works.
https://www.nytimes.com/roomfordebat...litation-works

"In addition to enhancing public safety, this [rehab] program saved the taxpayers $4 for every $1 spent on it, since the lower reincarceration rate saved roughly $30,000 a year per person. The only mystery is: Why is this program not being adopted by every jail and prison in the country? Why are taxpayers not demanding that this be done?"
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 02-15-2018, 01:47 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Well, I don't believe a jail is the best place for most what has been described. More rehab centers and help centers not jails. Of course they will be back behind bars with out help. Jail doesn't teach them one thing but a free meal.

I also know from the posts some here have a very negative image of them. I also understand why because they have been around it and have been a victim etc. etc..

daylatedollarshort >>> exactly! I was posting when you were posting.
Old 02-15-2018, 01:57 PM   #14

I've found it is better to give a homeless person a certificate to go have dinner or a receipt to go stay in a hotel/motel for a time or work with an organization that is set up to handle the homeless needs. If they're addicted to drugs or alcohol, that's where your money goes if you give it to them on the street. I would offer them a ride to the nearest shelter. I worked with PADS, a homeless organization that gave meals and beds in churches around the Chicago area. Seeing moms with children and people with injuries, toothaches, skin sores that won't heal...talk about needs! I'm so glad Bill Gates is going to invest the homeless in the U.S. I went away feeling helpless most of the nights DH and I worked there.

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 02-15-2018, 02:02 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

My Ex died homeless after living off charity and social programs for years after the divorce. He was a brilliant inorganic chemist but may also have been bipolar (depends on who was doing the evaluation) and he self-medicated with alcohol, which eventually killed him. So, I see the face of my husband in homeless people and I know how complex these cases can be. He tried meds, didn't like the side effects and considered any job but the ones for which he wasn't qualified to be beneath him.

I give generously to charity but as a single woman I'm leery of engaging with people panhandling on the streets. It might be someone who would appreciate a meal and warm blanket or it might be a meth-head who will steal everything but my dental implants.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:17 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Lots and lots of homeless here in greater Portlandia. Many get ancient motor homes and drive them until they run out of gas. You see them in big box parking lots, on commercial side roads and neighborhoods. Portland actually started a program to take old motor homes off owners' hands so they did not give them to homeless people.

kgw.com | City of Portland will pay to dispose of your old RV
Old 02-15-2018, 04:28 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Interesting information. I live in a different world and I suppose I might be a little naïve about some subjects. Lol

I live where I don't see those type things but I would still like to help some if i did.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:27 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Really? If anyone here actually is not intimately familiar with problems of the elderly and homeless, I would be shocked. But if the reader is not familiar with these issues, then please, stop scheduling all the international travels, luxury car test drives, and snowbirding trips long enough to see what is in front of your face among ordinary elderly and homeless people all around you.
Really?
Here's the thing: The town next to us decided that the area needed a homeless shelter but didn't want it in their town. So....they decided that MY town should be the host. It started via a church run by the out of towners (the pastor publicly stated that a shelter would never come to their town) and grew into a full fledged 100 bed facility and people come from 200 miles away.

Because they are only allowed in the shelter if they're not high or drunk those that are are sent back onto the street for the day/night.

It's become the single biggest quality of life problem in our town: drunks and druggies laying on the sidewalk, accosting (and sometimes attacking) people and kids etc etc. 25% of our nightly published police log is for "unwanted guests". Who's paying for that? They've turned my sleepy little town into a homeless haven. We're over-run and our downtown is a mess.

Our mayor thinks it's just fine (she's running for Senate) and really doesn't see what the problem is.

So, long story short: Sorry, I'll take my "... international travels, luxury car test drives, and snowbirding trips...". I'll wave to them from my new Mercedes.

Thanks for letting me vent. (and I need to stop posting after having a few drinks)
Old 02-15-2018, 06:34 PM   #19
Gone but not forgotten

Where I live the homeless tend to live in the woods so the true homeless are not as visible but what are visible are the con man & women homeless. They set up shop near a shopping center after they park their SUV and hold up sad signs to get donations . They refuse food and are just a nuisance . I do give quite a bit to true charity but I choose the charity.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:27 PM   #20

I volunteered at a food kitchen for many years, and still get e-mails from the wonderful lady who is running it and some homeless programs.
She was recently told she did it because she was retired and rich. It was such an insulting attitude from someone who was living on the dole.
Closed Thread