Join Early Retirement Today

the Ides of April (Tax Day)
Old 04-14-2019, 08:24 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

the Ides of April (Tax Day)

OK, the Ides of April actually falls on the 13th, but it seems to fit better with Tax Day.

One year I made the mistake of needing to ship a package on April 15th. Upon arrival at the Post Office I found a line of tax procrastinators out the door. One guy was filling out his 1040 while in line. I wish my taxes were that simple.
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2019, 08:29 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

IRS will draw funds first thing tomorrow morning. Taxes were efiled and accepted a few weeks ago.
Old 04-14-2019, 08:46 PM   #3

Sent an extension via IRS Direct Pay of $1 a month ago (I am expecting a refund).

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:48 PM   #4

I have to make a trip to the post office to file my Mother in laws taxes. If the line is too long, I’ll just drop the federal in the box and take the state on Tuesday. The Federal is in a standard envelope and will go with one stamp. Reason for going to the post office is for the state. Large envelope and about ten sheets of paper. Thankfully the bill is only $43 so if she’s a day late, they can bill me.

DD doesn’t have her’s done but she probably is getting a refund so no penalty. Plus, she can efile. She’s even irresponsible enough to pay the $20 to efile the state. I can’t bring myself to pay to efile the state.

Thanks for the reminder. A friend of mine has a birthday tomorrow. I’ll send her a text now. Better an hour or so early than to forget.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:03 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

We filed last week. Refunds applying to 2019. Post office not busy.

DS dropped his into mail today. Fed refund. Owed $7 for state.

Nice to have those done.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:16 PM   #6

I set mine up for the 12th, just to make sure. With Federal. State, and estimated, it is about 15K (choke)
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 11:55 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I have to make a trip to the post office to file my Mother in laws taxes. If the line is too long, I’ll just drop the federal in the box and take the state on Tuesday. The Federal is in a standard envelope and will go with one stamp. Reason for going to the post office is for the state. Large envelope and about ten sheets of paper. Thankfully the bill is only $43 so if she’s a day late, they can bill me.
You could either (a) put two or three stamps on it and mail it that way, and/or (b) take it into your post office and use the automated postal machine. It will walk you through everything and tell you what the correct postage amount is (and sell you the postage if you need it, but I think there is a minimum charge of some kind - you can get around that by also buying a book of stamps with the postage you need).

I use the automated thing to avoid the lines as much as I can.
"At times the world can seem an unfriendly and sinister place, but believe us when we say there is much more good in it than bad. All you have to do is look hard enough, and what might seem to be a series of unfortunate events, may in fact be the first steps of a journey." Violet Baudelaire.
SecondCor521 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:40 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I filed last week. The IRS withdrew the money from my account the next day. I owed to both the Feds and the state.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:12 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Last year to file for M-I-L. Printed out and handed over to the executrix 2 weeks ago. Ours was an efile.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:31 AM   #10

Normally file in October. No property sales or purchases this year, everything in by March 1st. Handed the files over the the CPA a few days later. Met with them on April 4, they e-filed April 5th. Oddly, the State shows the refund approved the same day. Fed has accepted the return, but not issued the refund.

I calculate my own withholding and am always over a bit. Small refunds, expecting to see them soon.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:09 AM   #11

I filed about 10 days ago (actually using a CPA). E-filed. The refund arrived directly in the account just a few days later. I’ve never seen a refund arrive so fast.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:42 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Mailed mine Friday. Yes.....snail mail. Didn't want to face long lines at the PO today.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:53 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Filed using TurboTax 4/11. $416 will be sent from checking account today; $0 tax paid to state of Illinois. Simple finances here.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:33 AM   #14

Already filed, using snail mail. Estimated Five hundred dollar refund.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:50 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

I never stress about this and file for an extension each year.

This year I used DirectPay to do the extension, so no fees and not even a postage stamp or filling out Form 4868.

I was amazed that the IRS seems to send the ACH request almost as soon as I clicked "Submit." In about an hour or so I got a notice from my checking account that the transaction was pending and well before 5 pm the same day. Normally other ACH requests happen mysteriously overnight.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:04 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Mailed my returns out April 2nd, from the post office (federal needed extra postage because it had ballooned up to 8 pages thanks to the tax "simplification"). Both checks (federal and state) cleared that Friday.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 08:06 AM   #17

Heading out in a half hour to do close to eight hours of taxes of which many will be extensions. Since it's a free service you see the most interesting people in the last two weeks. So, I'm expecting some entertainment today. I'll try and report back on my best story tomorrow.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:58 AM   #18

E-filed this morning although it was pretty much done weeks ago. We owed over four grand this year so we were in no hurry to pay. This was my first full tax year in ER with some one-time items of income so I need to do a better job of withholding in 2019. I was able to withhold last year what my tax liability was in the previous year so we avoided a penalty.

State taxes here aren’t due until the end of the month so it’s the same drill.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:03 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

We efiled yesterday. They owe us 30. No state income tax.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:25 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I eFiled in Feb, sent our checks in last week. State and Fed cashed already, done for another year.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote