The Internet is forever... unless

RonBoyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
What I'll Do With My Parents' Facebook After They Die

A family friend, "late in his life, had someone set up an account for him and it was active for a couple of years. When he died, nobody took it down, so I'll still get notified of his birthday. That account is still just floating out there.” For her, it’s “disturbing” to get that reminder once a year. Not an ideal situation.
So, what, then, did they want done with their Facebook profiles? “I don't understand what the choices are,” said my dad. “You could just take the thing down, right?”

“If you're dead, you can’t,” my mother interjected. “They need your password.”

Google has an account inactivity tab where if your account is inactive for a certain amount of time it will send an email to a trusted person (relative, lawyer etc) with your password and other information.

You choose who and how much access to what data (emails, photos, documents etc) can be accessed.

It would send a notification to yourself first in case you had just walked away from it.

I've seen where folks disappeared overnight. One fellow I knew had FB, LinkedIn and thousands of publications, marketing stuff. His life ended suddenly and very tragically. A day later, gone every trace gone as if it had never been there. I didn't know Winston Smith could work so quickly.

Something to really think about.

I have the password to my password keeper in my death letter. DW or whoever survives me can handle it however they want. I would prefer to be deleted from FB and wherever. Or maybe I'll become a ghost in the machine.

I noticed on this page that things you can and can't do with a memorialized page. One of the things it says is "Anyone can send private messages to the deceased person." Really? Facebook has come a LONG way, hasn't it!?!?

Wow, that is impressive software! I would have thunk the news media would have picked up on that.:LOL:

Adding a Legacy Contact in Facebook

Facebook is a place to share and connect with friends and family. For many of us, it’s also a place to remember and honor those we’ve lost. When a person passes away, their account can become a memorial of their life, friendships and experiences.

Today [02/12/2015] we’re introducing a new feature that lets people choose a legacy contact—a family member or friend who can manage their account when they pass away.

Back
Top Bottom