Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

The Internet of Things
Old 11-06-2014, 03:22 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The Internet of Things

For the paranoid amongst us... and if you are not maybe you should be.

I’m Terrified of My New TV: Why I’m Scared to Turn This Thing On — And You’d Be, Too

Quote:
The amount of data this thing collects is staggering. It logs where, when, how, and for how long you use the TV. It sets tracking cookies and beacons designed to detect “when you have viewed particular content or a particular email message.” It records “the apps you use, the websites you visit, and how you interact with content.” It ignores “do-not-track” requests as a considered matter of policy.

It also has a built-in camera — with facial recognition. The purpose is to provide “gesture control” for the TV and enable you to log in to a personalized account using your face. On the upside, the images are saved on the TV instead of uploaded to a corporate server. On the downside, the Internet connection makes the whole TV vulnerable to hackers who have demonstrated the ability to take complete control of the machine.

More troubling is the microphone. The TV boasts a “voice recognition” feature that allows viewers to control the screen with voice commands. But the service comes with a rather ominous warning: “Please be aware that if your spoken words include personal or other sensitive information, that information will be among the data captured and transmitted to a third party.” Got that? Don’t say personal or sensitive stuff in front of the TV.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2014, 03:31 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

A shotgun should take care of that nosy beast. Followed by a trip to the recycling center.

Or take a 1/4" drill and enlarge the microphone hole a bit in diameter and depth, then apply some putty. That will take care of the conversation privacy: )) Ditto for the camera.

Then go ut and buy plain old used tv, if you must have one.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:00 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Go for the cheaper TV without all of these features.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:25 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Go for the cheaper TV without all of these features.
From One lawyer may have just killed part of the Internet of Things:

Quote:
He did not name the brand, but both LG and Samsung are known for this kind of intrusiveness. In both cases, you have the option of disabling all this data collection, but you lose all the Smart TV features, some of which are pretty nice. (my emphasis)

Price comes to a devastating conclusion, which I agree with.
"Indeed, as the 'Internet of Things' matures, household appliances and physical objects will become more networked. Your ceiling lights, thermostat, and washing machine — even your socks — may be wired to interact online. The FBI will not have to bug your living room; you will do it yourself."
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:27 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

No TV's/cable boxes, cell phones, computers (or any other "smart" devices) are allowed in our bedroom.
prototype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:52 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype View Post
No TV's/cable boxes, cell phones, computers (or any other "smart" devices) are allowed in our bedroom.
Just mirrors and a super eight camera, like god intended.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:14 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

I do wifi sweeps with my phone to find a free data connection occaisionally and see both household thermostats and copy machines proudly broadcasting
with no password needed. They are likely unconnected dead ends now, but maybe not in the near future.
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:45 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Aaaand just ran across this review on a smart thermostat. Advantages and disadvantages to internet enabled things...

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3IMEYJ...28013&store=hi
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:52 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Next might be 500 copies of the electric bill that was left in the copier.
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:06 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Raise your hand if you think you have any privacy AT ALL with or without this TV.

Everyone here is a regular poster on the internet!
Old 11-06-2014, 10:33 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
Raise your hand if you think you have any privacy AT ALL with or without this TV.

Everyone here is a regular poster on the internet!
Yeah, but the words I write here can be part of my intentional crafting of my public persona (I'm really a 16 year old girl, but everyone here thinks I'm a 55 year old man). I don't think you'd be able to make that substitution with a TV that's doing audio and video recordings of you.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:36 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Yeah, but the words I write here can be part of my intentional crafting of my public persona (I'm really a 16 year old girl, but everyone here thinks I'm a 55 year old man). I don't think you'd be able to make that substitution with a TV that's doing audio and video recordings of you.
Good point, but many here on this forum can be quite detailed on their lives and over time one can infer a lot about them.

After a few years here, I bet I "know" a lot about the regulars (and they about me) perhaps more than their own neighbors.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:38 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Oh Brave New World!

Times are changing, that's for sure. It seems like everything I own is connected to the internet through my wireless network. As a mental exercise, I tried to imagine what my life would be like with no internet and it is pretty sobering. Soon almost all of my devices will be internet connected, at the rate things are going. My video game console is. Even the washer I was salivating over online, is internet connected.

I wonder if younger folks, like Millenials for example, even understand privacy and why we value it so. They have grown up in a different world.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:39 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Security on the internal camera and microphone is pretty weak on these devices. There are some neat hacks available to take over the camera. This was demonstrated at the 2013 Black Hat conference using a Samsung set. Samsung patched one exploit in their 2012 sets, but the Java code in the set that controls these features is, well, Java.

A Samsung spokeman suggests that you can "unplug the TV from the home network when the Smart TV features are not in use." Samsung also recommends that customers use encrypted wireless access points. Durp durp.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:42 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I thought you were Jerry Garcia.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 11:54 AM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
You've got it backwards. I think on the internet its more typical for the 55 YO man to impersonate being the 16 YO girl.
Old 11-06-2014, 12:18 PM   #17

Woof!
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 12:31 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Orwell would be proud.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 12:36 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Orwell would be proud.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Certain countries used to pay good money to know who you hung out with, what you believed, what church you went to, your associations, your political leanings and so on.

Now people give that away for free.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:43 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Security on the internal camera and microphone is pretty weak on these devices. There are some neat hacks available to take over the camera. This was demonstrated at the 2013 Black Hat conference using a Samsung set. Samsung patched one exploit in their 2012 sets, but the Java code in the set that controls these features is, well, Java.

A Samsung spokeman suggests that you can "unplug the TV from the home network when the Smart TV features are not in use." Samsung also recommends that customers use encrypted wireless access points. Durp durp.
I've been to BlackHat and Defcon several times and seen things done with Information Technology that I would not have believed to be "reasonably possible" if I hadn't seen it demonstrated.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote