The ladies do it again!

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Once again the ladies soccer team has brought glory home to their country. While the men are left in the dust. Does this sound familiar over here, across the pond?

The Lionesses have brought the Euro Cup home to England.

Time for the old English papers to eat crow.... Or a bowl of cold mushy peas.

“The game of football is quite unsuitable for females and ought not to be encouraged,” the sport’s national governing body wrote at the time.
Just as our American ladies brought the World Cup home to the USA.

Someday, our guys will again bring glory to our country. Maybe when the game of football becomes suitable for them. :D

Last edited:
Once again the ladies soccer team has brought glory home to their country. While the men are left in the dust. Does this sound familiar over here, across the pond?

The Lionesses have brought the Euro Cup home to England.

Time for the old English papers to eat crow.... Or a bowl of cold mushy peas.

Just as our American ladies brought the World Cup home to the USA.

Someday, our guys will again bring glory to our country. Maybe when the game of football becomes suitable for them. :D

I have played and/or coached soccer for 50 years BUT I find it boring to watch (live or on TV) and really don't think it will ever gain traction in the US no matter how much ESPN tries to shove it down our throats. That's for the men. For the ladies, no matter how great they are, it's of even less interest.
Hence, I am the first reply to your post after a few hours. Crickets! Sorry.

Never a fan of soccer until our kids played. Heh, heh, never logged so many miles as getting two kids to opposite ends of the city for their games.

That all faded quite some time ago, but congrats to the Ladies!

Got to love it.... haven't heard about it on the news....
Last main stream news on womans soccer was about the equal pay.

CONGRATS...

Well, the U.S. won 4 of 8 past World Cups, next highest total was Germany with 2 cups.

The next cup is scheduled for Sydney, Australia in 2023. In the next year these teams will likely suffer more injuries, and the older players will lose a step or two.

Soccer, or futbol, is a chess match. It grows in popularity each year in the U.S. As with other sports, popularity is driven by a local team with some success. As with other things in life I am not really concerned with what others think of a sport. It has always intrigued me, as my kids played about 10 years each and we coached.

In U.S. Women's Soccer the 1st player to break $1 Million salary was Trinity Rodman, who skipped college to join the draft.

The challenge in watching soccer is that there are long periods where nothing much happens for various reasons. But ideally you have 22 pieces on the pitch who are continuously moving from space to space, trying to keep an attack moving. There are certainly games where not much is at stake, and intense effort is missing, I'll agree.

With all of the streaming services we have, about half the start screen has links for soccer matches all over the world. For us it is part of international interests we hold.

Hah -- I thought this might have been a comment on the election results in my state yesterday. The two candidates to emerge in the State of Michigan Governor's race are both women -- they even kind of look alike - IMHO

Whitmer-Dixon.png

-gauss

I have played and/or coached soccer for 50 years BUT I find it boring to watch (live or on TV) and really don't think it will ever gain traction in the US no matter how much ESPN tries to shove it down our throats. That's for the men. For the ladies, no matter how great they are, it's of even less interest.
Hence, I am the first reply to your post after a few hours. Crickets! Sorry.

I think you are crazy; MLS is rabid in many cities. It has surpassed the NHL taking the #4 spot for most popular sport in the country. As us "old farts" that don't care too much about it die off and the generations behind us start to outnumber us, the popularity will only climb.

https://worldsoccertalk.com/2021/12...l-as-4th-most-popular-sport-in-united-states/

I think you are crazy; MLS is rabid in many cities. It has surpassed the NHL taking the #4 spot for most popular sport in the country. As us "old farts" that don't care too much about it die off and the generations behind us start to outnumber us, the popularity will only climb.

https://worldsoccertalk.com/2021/12...l-as-4th-most-popular-sport-in-united-states/

Nobody goes to MLS games in my area. There is too much traffic congestion, parking problems and crowding around the stadium on game nights. :rolleyes: :D

I actually like watching the women play more than the men.... they seem to be hustling the whole match where the men seem to fall into a lull...

As an example, when a pass is made in a womans game a defender will go and try and press the lady with the ball... in a mens game the defender will often just stare at the guy waiting for him to move...

And some mens teams will just pass the ball back and forth across the field not even trying to attack... with many hundreds of passes...

We used to go to our local womens soccer team, but not the mens.... the cost is much better for the women...

Nobody goes to MLS games in my area. There is too much traffic congestion, parking problems and crowding around the stadium on game nights. :rolleyes: :D
Around our way the MLS is packing them in. Even with poor parking and congestion after games, it is a successful franchise. Helps to be in 1st place, too.

Both the LA teams are close to sell outs for the most part. I’m a season ticket holder at one of them

Back
Top Bottom