Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-05-2018, 01:03 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
If we live to be 80 and passions have faded, we'll be able to say, 'Remember when?' with a smile.
Cessna152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2018, 01:06 AM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

*** High probability of dying during the early trips. ***

is that the prospective colonists or the project finances

many will have died waiting for the $200,000 seats

You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Samuel Levenson
Oz investor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:00 AM   #43

I've never really planned my life very well, and at this point, don't intend to plan for any changes due to aging. I love the house that I'm in now and hope to live here as long as it's practical. I realize that I'll probably have to pay someone to mow the lawn eventually.

I will keep doing everything I'm doing now, and if I get to a point where I can't, then I'll make some changes.

My hope is to be this guy when I grow up:
https://www.outsideonline.com/232161...t-peak-east-97
DayDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 06:50 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeDreaming View Post
I've never really planned my life very well, and at this point, don't intend to plan for any changes due to aging. I love the house that I'm in now and hope to live here as long as it's practical. I realize that I'll probably have to pay someone to mow the lawn eventually.

I will keep doing everything I'm doing now, and if I get to a point where I can't, then I'll make some changes.

My hope is to be this guy when I grow up:
https://www.outsideonline.com/232161...t-peak-east-97

i hardly ever planned anything in my life until 2010 in 2016 those unplanned changes are fighting back .

since i can't stay at home for the next few years the grass will grow and the poisonous snakes will have shelter ... nature is doing what in can to protect my stuff .

' big mumma ' is 8 ft long and her her boyfriends are You tuhe stars

You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Samuel Levenson
Oz investor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:11 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

CCRC worked out well for my grandparents...but not until the third CCRC they tried, back in their (and my) hometown.

She was 75, he 85 when they moved back home. He lasted another decade, she two.

She ended up having to take care of him full-time for the last 5 years of his life, & then lost a daughter (my mother) a few years later.

Still, it was great having them near...probably the only silver lining of my mom's illness was that my family (including my kids) ended up having a closer relationship with my grandmother than we would have otherwise.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:19 AM   #46
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oz investor View Post
' big mumma ' is 8 ft long
Circa 1962 I worked up on the Ord River Project in Kununurra - was doing some sandblasting, (noisy work), happened to glance over to my right and there's a guy whacking a taipan, (which was heading right for me), with a big iron bar.

If I'd known it was coming I could've whacked it with pressurized sand.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:36 AM   #47

Interesting thread. DH and I are both in our late 50’s and ER’d almost 2 years ago. We are both in good health and active now but recognize this will change over time. We’re prioritizing SCUBA trips and other physically demanding activities now. When we’re ready to slow down, we’ll shift into taking more cruises.

We live in a 1-story condo on the beach with a beautiful view of the ocean, so don’t intend to move. There is a bus stop right outside the front door of our building if we ever get to the point where we can’t drive.

Barring any serious health issues, most people we know seem to slow down in their mid-70’s, although we do know a few people who are still active travelers well into their 80’s. Time will tell.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:16 AM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
Now, standing back a few feet and looking at the past 30 retirement years, the later years are much different than they were in 1989.
Thanks for sharing your reflections. I have spent a lot of time reading your engrossing and thought-provoking posts. At age 52, I am thinking hard about what the next 30 Years will be like. Many transitions for sure. I hope when I am your age to be able to reflect back with as much insight as you have. I hope to read more from you soon.
Scratchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:56 AM   #49
Gone but not forgotten

Coming back to offer links to the kind of CCRC where we live. You won't be moving here, so I don't think this is should be construed as a solicitation, but rather a matter of explaining what a full service CCRC can offer.

Many people who are thinking about the later years are limited to seeing the facilities in their area... separate for nursing homes, assisted living, independent living or perhaps alzheimer care. While full service CCRC's are on the increase, knowing what they offer can help in decision making, later on.

This link is to the Villas... the separate free standing homes, part of the greater community. We have 79 homes in our CCRC. It's where we live today. BTW, if you look at the video, the home shown is almost identical to ours.

https://simplythefinest.net/villas.php

Here's a link to services offered in our CCRC.

https://libertyvillageofperu.com/services.htm

It may take a little bit of adjusting to get used to seeing groups of us white haired oldsters... (can't hardly believe I'm one of them) but remember that you might be one too, when it comes time to make the move.

In any case... some thoughts on the money part of this...

1. Villas... individual homes. Sell for about +- $175K... No worry about selling when the time comes... Most homes are sold before they get to market. In our CCRC, owning a villa guarantees first access to any other part of the community, as well as admission to all central activities... picnics, games, free travel to stores, and outside events. Also full use of the fitness center. HOA fee, all lawn care and exterior services (paint, minor ext. repair etc.) $150/mo. Taxes $2500.

2. Independent apartment living. Again, full access to all events and facilities. Two full meals/day in dining room, plus breakfast self serve. Full activity schedule daily... bingo, many card games, free coffee shop, hair dresser shop, library, meeting rooms and outside entertainment. Last cost I remember was $2000/mo for one person, and an extra $500 for a second person. this may be more now... so... somewhere around $30K to $35K /yr. for 2 persons. As far as I can see no other expenses..

3. Assisted living about $40K./yr.

4. Bounce Back.. (temporary rehab) $$$ dependent on care and other needed services.

5. Nursing home.. The last I heard the price was between 60K and $65K/yr.
This may vary more depending on location.

I hope this gives at least a broad overview of the lifestyle and the costs for at least one full service CCRC.

Caveat... the current costs (except for the villas) are my best estimate, and may vary somewhat.

I hope this helps.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 07:15 PM   #50
Gone but not forgotten

I am 71 so in my later years .I do not feel old especially mentally . Physically after several months of rehab after an illness I am able to climb 20 flights of stairs and do an hour of straight aerobics daily . I try not to dress or act old . We are still living in a large house . I hate the thought of packing and moving but it is becoming more likely that we will have to in the next year or so . Still traveling but paying more for convenience and avoiding remote travel due to health concerns . As someone else mentioned I do have those "That ship has sailed " moments . All in all life is good .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:52 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

I love reading your posts. None of us knows what will happen. We are in a 1400 sq ft single family home with low maintenance. We have 3 dogs but through natural attrition always plan to have one or two. We still love to travel at 64 but although I can still walk 10 miles/day can’t hike up mountains anymore but DH can. He is 5 years younger.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:56 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYEXPAT View Post
When I turn 80, my little guy will be 18 and heading off to college. I am expecting to "hit up" a few "frat parties" and like the "the old blind squirrel" maybe stumble upon a fresh young acorn.
You are definitely "Da Man."

There is nothing like young people.in the house to keep you young. The hard part is having a very active, healthy lifestyle trying to slow down natural aging.

My wife (70 yrs) and myself (68 hrs) have permanent legal custody of our 7 year old granddaughter. We always traveled extensively and intended to continue as long as possible. But we will no longer entrust our little girl to friends and DDIL while on vacations. She will be a very well traveled little girl.

Although I am a type II diabetic, my family has longetivity. My wife has terrible arthritis and her family does not live to be very old. My scare is that she would die before we get Brynley out of high school.

In the near future, I will spend days driving back and forth to school and extracurricular activities. I am no longer riding motorcycles, snow skiing or doing anything dangerous.. I am getting ready to build a new barn/garage, but it is going to be my last big building project. From here on, it will be just cutting grass.

So many people would look to raising another generation as a burden. Brynley is very bright and funny person, and every day with her is truly a Blessing.

We are just thankful to have the resources to retire 10 years ago, and should not have to get into retirement funds (other than RMDs) until our late 70s. Decisions are going to be made on setting up a special needs trust to take care of Brynley. After all, she is what really matters.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 10:32 PM   #53

As we have aged, and our tolerance for the discomforts of travel decreased, you can see how our travel has lessened. DW's knee problems preclude us going on bus trips. Also, flying anywhere with the TSA BS and sardine can accommodations does not interest us any more.
That being said, we will be off on a 15 day cruise to Hawaii for our anniversary. NO flying

year travel days

2009 80
2010 72
2011 74
2012 48
2013 34
2014 35
2015 18
2016 2
2017 2
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 01:14 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post

There is nothing like young people.in the house to keep you young. The hard part is having a very active, healthy lifestyle trying to slow down natural aging.

My wife (70 yrs) and myself (68 hrs) have permanent legal custody of our 7 year old granddaughter. We always traveled extensively and intended to continue as long as possible. But we will no longer entrust our little girl to friends and DDIL while on vacations. She will be a very well traveled little girl.

Although I am a type II diabetic, my family has longetivity. My wife has terrible arthritis and her family does not live to be very old. My scare is that she would die before we get Brynley out of high school.

In the near future, I will spend days driving back and forth to school and extracurricular activities. I am no longer riding motorcycles, snow skiing or doing anything dangerous.. I am getting ready to build a new barn/garage, but it is going to be my last big building project. From here on, it will be just cutting grass.

So many people would look to raising another generation as a burden. Brynley is very bright and funny person, and every day with her is truly a Blessing.

We are just thankful to have the resources to retire 10 years ago, and should not have to get into retirement funds (other than RMDs) until our late 70s. Decisions are going to be made on setting up a special needs trust to take care of Brynley. After all, she is what really matters.

Brynley is lucky to have you, and it sounds as though she is bringing a lot of joy into your life. I agree that being around younger people is helpful to avoid premature aging.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 02:45 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
As we have aged, and our tolerance for the discomforts of travel decreased, you can see how our travel has lessened. DW's knee problems preclude us going on bus trips. Also, flying anywhere with the TSA BS and sardine can accommodations does not interest us any more.
That being said, we will be off on a 15 day cruise to Hawaii for our anniversary. NO flying

year travel days

2009 80
2010 72
2011 74
2012 48
2013 34
2014 35
2015 18
2016 2
2017 2
Over 70 days a year for your first 3 years is quite impressive. Our 1st full year will probably be ~25 days and 5 trips. Have not looked into slow traveling yet plus no RV for us.
Old 07-06-2018, 05:42 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

When you can’t drive anymore due to age often you can’t walk very well either. I don’t see public transportation as an option. A driver or taxi, yes.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:35 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Love that name Brynley!
I’m sure she sees you as a Blessing as well.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:46 AM   #58
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
When you can’t drive anymore due to age often you can’t walk very well either. I don’t see public transportation as an option. A driver or taxi, yes.
Driving... perhaps more important than any physical disability. We see the struggle to keep the license as the number one priority for all of the people in our CCRC. The last tie to independence. I just came back from the men's coffee hour. In front of the entrance, both of the busses owned by the complex were waiting. One to transport people to Walmart and the Mall, and the second to take the bowlers for their weekly match. While the busses aren't available on call, the schedules more than adequate, Dr. visit transportation is always available. . This is all part of our CCRC membership, even though we live in separate houses.

Another "help"...We have local markets that deliver and now, Walmart pick-up, and of course... Amazon, plus, soon, Pill Pack.

The best part of this, and the other facilities that are available to us, is the peace of mind about the future. While we don't look forward to this (hopefully 5 or 6 years away) we're comfortable, and feel no anxiety about going forward.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:01 AM   #59

At 67 we're still going strong and figure that we'll plan for changes when they become needed. Until then we're trying to enjoy life the best we can. I'm particularly enjoying helping get my son's home ready for his re-occupancy following a renter and my son's 10 years overseas. Carpentry, tiling, general do it yourself stuff. Letting others paint though. I work a day, take a day off. Knees complain but it's all good.

Recently had some reality smack me in face as former coworker whose wife is 10 years younger than us diagnosed w pancreatic cancer stage IV to liver. Gotta have fun while the sun's still shining. All sorts of things could be wrong with us we aren't aware of yet, so let's get out there and enjoy life!
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:16 AM   #60

Quote:

Nice post! I am sure Brynley is a lucky girl and will grow into womanhood with a well grounded upbringing and appreciation for life and it's adventures!

I have two son's (13 and 3) and my wife (37) works full time in a private clinic. My parents never travelled without us 3 children and to this day I can not bear to travel without my family. We are coming up from South America (spending two weeks in NYC and Washington DC) and this will be our second international trip this year.

In October my wife is travelling solo to Istanbul and Brisbane for a month alone. We talked about meeting her in Dubai with the kids midway, but I feel it is to long a trip and my kids have missed enough school this year.

I just stopped walking to/from school everyday with my 13 y/o, but still go with our nanny every afternoon to pick up the 3 year old. I will leave whatever I am doing or whoever I am with to see the smile on his face when I pick him up at 1:30.

Blessing, is not a strong enough word to describe how I feel!
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote