The library

Just one of the blessings of living in this society.
Yea verily. :)

As a middle school student we were taught how to use the library reference section to do research. Our town was small but the library system could borrow almost any publication. It is an incredible, enabling resource and a critical component of my education. I was reminded of just how important it can be when we moved abroad - my children did not have access to one.

Now I use two, regularly.

Like many, I always enjoyed the access to libraries and all the books/magazines they had. My parents always encouraged reading; our house had built-in bookcases that were always overloaded with books. Although on a limited budget for entertainment we had two sets of encyclopedias.

And yes, I was one of those who would often take a book and a flashlight to bed when I was told to stop reading and go to sleep.

Donations to our library's foundation pay for the summer reading program, concerts, adult programs, films, and many programs and activities for seniors. It also funds proof-of-concept like book-club-in-a-bag (15 copies of a book that can be checked out for your book club's use) and many author talks.

Sometimes those extra programs can be surprising. Here's an example:

Our local library learned that there was a real need for clean underwear in schools. Children can need a clean pair due to accidents at school or issues at home. Since the parents can't bring a clean one to the school when it's needed, it can mean missed classroom time. So our library has an ongoing program to provide them. 30 to 100 pair a month are used in the county. Not something you would normally think of donating, but much appreciated.

Adding my voice to the choir. I am a heavy library user. Not only does it save me money, but it helps to prevent clutter in my house (though I do still have too many books.) And my local library system also has The Great Courses/Teaching Company products available for check out (my prior system did not.) It's great!

My library has a book sale every year, so I can buy some really good used books for $1 each. This has caused me to struggle finding space on my bookshelves to put these books, and I buy only 2 or 3 a year this way.

As a youngster, I remember a snippet of a conversation my dad was having with another guy about taxes. My dad commented that there were two taxes he always voted for --schools and libraries.

That had nothing to do with me working as a public school librarian for thirty+ years, but I have always been proud that he thought like that. And, I have voted likewise.

The whole premise of libraries and how they work has always amazed me. What a great idea.:D

My library has a book sale every year, so I can buy some really good used books for $1 each. This has caused me to struggle finding space on my bookshelves to put these books, and I buy only 2 or 3 a year this way.

Our library has an associated used bookstore operated by volunteers....we buy used books there regularly, and re-donate them there, or to a thrift store, or to friends, when we're done......there's currently a stack of unread ones at each of our bedside tables. :)

Yes, love the library.

Loved it more when it was a quiet place to be able to concentrate. Now, the librarians make so much noise chatting and laughing it's hard to sit and read. They built a beautiful new branch not far from me and installed computers in the kids area where they play video games with the sound turned all the way up.

Sorry, that should be in the pet peeve thread. But I really DO still love the library. I just have to either read at home or search for a less-noisy corner to hide in.

Yes, love the library.

Loved it more when it was a quiet place to be able to concentrate. Now, the librarians make so much noise chatting and laughing it's hard to sit and read. They built a beautiful new branch not far from me and installed computers in the kids area where they play video games with the sound turned all the way up.

Sorry, that should be in the pet peeve thread. But I really DO still love the library. I just have to either read at home or search for a less-noisy corner to hide in.

Our library has quiet nooks but more importantly it has a dedicated quiet room with a quietly closing soundproof door. The only sounds are pages being turned.

We joined Friends of the Library at an event. A $25 membership fee but even better that's it--no newsletter, no appeals for money or labor. I know the group underwrites some activities but there must be some deep pockets somewhere.

I think of the library as the tax dollars that everyone can take advantage of if they wish. Most of them seem to provide what their community and frequent patrons want.

I used to go to the library and like others here enjoyed it. Now I don't use it much at all as any information I need is available in my pocket.

Also around here the libraries have gotten out of control. The voters keep passing huge library budgets so they double and triple the size of the library building with about the same amount of books. There is even an entire skyscraper library downtown.

Yes, love the library.

Our library has quiet nooks but more importantly it has a dedicated quiet room with a quietly closing soundproof door. The only sounds are pages being turned.

We joined Friends of the Library at an event. A $25 membership fee but even better that's it--no newsletter, no appeals for money or labor. I know the group underwrites some activities but there must be some deep pockets somewhere.

I think of the library as the tax dollars that everyone can take advantage of if they wish. Most of them seem to provide what their community and frequent patrons want.

Another huge library fan here! We have an excellent library in my county; I was there this afternoon picking up a book I put on hold via my online account yesterday while the library was closed for the holiday.

The kids' section in our library has several computers available, but each one has headphones attached to it, and the kids use them. That is not to say that room as a whole is quiet - it is not - it is very lively! I guess the general chatter of the kids in the room does not bother me, because any time a kid has a book in their hand versus a phone or a video game is a huge plus in my opinion.

If I want absolute silence, our library also has a large, glass-enclosed reading room downstairs where no sound is permitted - no conversation, no phones, no computers. Pure heaven! I expect to spend a lot more time there when I retire.

Another library lover here. Just returned from another book run and am eager to dive in to what I checked out. I got enough new material to last me a few weeks which is nice when it is so cold outside. We have a young new director and she has been wonderful. She has brought so many programs and fun into our library. It is a small one but is just incredible.

It's gratifying to see so many other library supporters here. The library has bookended my life -- it was my sanctuary as a kid, and now I'm using it actively as a retiree.

I used to go to the library and like others here enjoyed it. Now I don't use it much at all as any information I need is available in my pocket.

It's true that in terms of research the web has largely supplanted our libraries, but I remain grateful for many things the library system provides, including:

• E-books
  • Free music downloads
  • Free access to the Consumer Reports site
  • Free access to genealogy sites
  • Passes to local museums
All of the above are obtained electronically, which points to the main question for modern libraries: To what extent should they remain brick and mortar? I recently answered a lengthy survey from the library system, and it's clear that they're in the process of actively redefining their role in the internet age.

My love of libraries started in high school in the early 70's. I was the janitor at our town's library. 4 hours per week. I'd spend another 4 reading. That library experience really helped when I got to college. Years later, I brought my work to the library when I needed some quiet time to concentrate. Still enjoy the library today.

I have been going to local libraries since the 50s. I must have at least one book in the house. I do admit the Internet diverts my attention, but I still go to the library regularly. It's one of the best uses of our tax dollars.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I love libraries

“You wasted $150,000 on an education you coulda got for $1.50 in late fees at the public library.” ― Matt Damon, Good Will Hunting

Also I think people should know more about Carnegie Libraries.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carnegie_library
It was pretty cool to go back to my college town and find a Carnegie library I didn't know was even there.
"By the time the last grant was made in 1919, there were 3,500 libraries in the United States, nearly half of them built with construction grants paid by Carnegie."

Last edited:
“In my whole life, I have known no wise people (over a broad subject matter area) who didn’t read all the time – none, zero.”

- Charlie Munger*

*he wasn't talking about the internet or social media. He was talking about books.

Growing up in a non-so-nice inner city, the library was one of the few places of refuge, where I could escape what was happening in the streets and read about other people and places - sometimes with envy, but moreso to help me realize that there were things and opportunities beyond our neighborhood.

My parents would take me and my siblings there sometimes, where we would spend time after school. Little did I know until I was older that my parents were also using that time to study - my father for his community college courses, my mother for her high school equivalency degree.

By the time I was in high school, if I wasn't in school or the sports field, I was in the library. It kept me from getting into a LOT of trouble back then. I never realized how much the librarians at one branch noticed me until they started letting me know of books that were going to be replaced, and did I want them before they threw them out. To this day I still have about a hundred of those books.

Out of State and Goodreads

I too love the library, and I love my local library (I am even the current VP of the board) but two suggestions for folks...

1) If your local library's selection is limited get an out of state library card from Brooklyn Public Library ($50) or Fairfax County Library ($23?). These represent the best selections (imo) of the few dozen libraries that offer out of state cards. You will now have access to more audiobooks and ebooks.

2) Track what you've read on Goodreads. Not only for recommendations, but an easy way to find when a library has an ebook/audiobook you want. There is a chrome extension that will show you if the library has the book, it is called Available.

There is also an extension that will show you what your library or libraries have when you are on Amazon (and Goodreads), but it isn't as nicely formated as Available is.

2) Track what you've read on Goodreads. Not only for recommendations, but an easy way to find when a library has an ebook/audiobook you want. There is a chrome extension that will show you if the library has the book, it is called Available.

That Available extension is very cool, thanks! I'm going to make good use of this.

My town has a great local library for paper books, but their selection of ebooks is poor. Just last year I finally got around to getting library cards for the San Diego city and county libraries, which have much better ebook choices. In California, any state resident can get a free card at any public library system, but you do have to show up in person to apply, and cards expire after a year or two so you have to go back to renew.

Thanks Cathy63. Wow I did not know about the CA residents being able to obtain a free card at any of the public library system. I'm in Ventura Co and not that far from a LA county library. Think I'll ride over and get a card.

I was feeling down in the dumps yesterday, and the library seems to be where I like to go when that happens. I read about 70 pages of a book off the shelf, rented a couple of DVDs and came back home feeling much better. Our local public library is well-utilized.

Agreed. I go to our local library almost once/week. I read magazines, I used to subscribe to 4-6 regularly, we don't subscribe to any anymore. I also check out books to read, I used to buy several books/year, I rarely buy hardcover books anymore, and few eBooks. I'm starting to read magazines and books online from the library, one day the building may not be necessary...

Back
Top Bottom