The lost summer

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I had my slider open a little to let in some fresh air. The Mrs swung by and said she was cold and asked if she could close the door a little. I said sure close it - September 6th, 6:22PM, 57 degrees and drizzly. Highs in the upper 60s for the next 6 days.

I can't remember an August with green grass ever. This is why the pool was closed three weeks ago. I'm mowing up leaves already like it was October. I put socks on a flannel shirt to walk the old gal in the morning. I may run the Yotul gas stove as a test in a few minutes.

Coincidence the 2nd hurricane likely will strike Florida and do major damage. Feel for my relatives they are very concerned. Scary stuff.

We have enjoyed some calm and mild winters just maybe that's about to change.

Last edited:
Yes, it has been a truly wierd summer. Usually we have a few bouts of a couple days of hazy, hot and humid weather that incentivizes me to put on a swimsuit and jump in the lake to cool off.... the only time that I'm been in the lake this summer was to put or adjust in the dock and lifts. Never even had to get out the fan that we use at night on those hot/humid summer nights.

Your summer is not lost. It has moved to the SW and camped out here. Won't leave.

I'm north of you and the pool heater was set at 88 all summer until this morning, just shut if off as kids are back at school and forecast not great for a few days. Usually close the pool between September 25 and October 5. Enjoyed the weather this summer, fewer truly killer hot days but still lots of pool time and we went through a LOT of sunscreen, cold beer and bbqs. Grass greener than usual for sure, did not use the sprinkler system much. Good for new spruce and Japanese maple trees planted in the spring.

The north-western United States is on fire.

Be thankful that you can open a window. We're in a valley in the middle of all this. Air quality is unhealthy regardless of which way the wind blows.

fires.jpeg

What for the smoke we've not been able to leave a window open since mid-July. Only a season ending rain (or snow) will help us now.

Not too many summers left, so this one was spectacular. Spent about 3 days a week at my camp on the lake... never even turned on the fan, never mind the a/c, and most of the days were perfect. Leaves haven't even begun to turn and the flowers are exploding in blooms.
The labor day vacation was the best ever... the campground saw 18,000 people... (6500 sites). Woodhaven was our home for 1/2 the year from 1990 to 2004 so it's a place for memories.
Thought this might be the last (not lost) summer, but looks like we'll try for another year or so. Between biking, boating and fixin' was likely healthier than sitting and watching Tv.
Gettin' a little cooler, but that's good because fall is pretty nice too.
Looking across the lake from my deck, fall, last year.

Attachments

• Fall 2016 from the deck.jpg
    Fall 2016 from the deck.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
It sure did seem to go by in a hurry (once again).

Here in Chicagoland, I had to turn my furnace on yesterday. :(

It's finally cool down enough that I can actually open up the windows get some air through here. A lot better than 110-115 it was last week! 90° feels great. Looking forward to its continuing to cool down thru Indian Summer (September - October)

Be thankful that you can open a window. We're in a valley in the middle of all this. Air quality is unhealthy regardless of which way the wind blows.

View attachment 26795

What for the smoke we've not been able to leave a window open since mid-July. Only a season ending rain (or snow) will help us now.

I agree- can't leave the windows open. It's even hard to be outside. Smoke so thick from fires that it looks like permanent clouds/fog. Only good thing is it blots out the sun so it's kept the temperature down a little, although it's been very humid.

The temps are about the same in MI but few leaves yet.

Here in the Appalachian mountains we have received 71 inches of precipitation this year. Doesn't 80 inches make us a rain forest?

Here on Long Island, we had zero days in August hitting 90 degrees. And for the last 3 weeks or so, hitting 80 degrees has been rare, more like late September, not late August. It will be nice to see a lower electric bill later this month, too, as using the A/C has quickly become a rare event. Even using my floor and window fans is becoming led frequent. I managed to not have to be out during yesterday's heavy rains but wasn't so lucky last week when it rained hard and for all day and night on Tuesday, August 29th.

I'm north of you and the pool heater was set at 88 all summer until this morning, just shut if off as kids are back at school and forecast not great for a few days.

Made a conscience decision to pass on the heater; it just doesn't make sense to me.

We actually arranged to have the boat pulled up early. It's been cool North of Boston all summer and we don't like sailing in long pants.

We actually arranged to have the boat pulled up early. It's been cool North of Boston all summer and we don't like sailing in long pants.

:LOL: Brought back memories on my college days in Maine.... Frostbite sailing on Casco Bay in Late October in Boston Whalers... Cool!;)

[emoji23] Brought back memories on my college days in Maine.... Frostbite sailing on Casco Bay in Late October in Boston Whalers... Cool!;)
My dad was a die hard. We'd sail till mid November in ski suits! Never was my idea of a good time even back then

Back
Top Bottom