Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-08-2019, 10:51 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
I have the love of a wonderful woman, I became rich 37 years ago.
This reminded me of a joke told by another tourist in the tour bus when we were introducing each other. "We had a wonder 25 years of marriage." The couple had been married for 35 years in reality.

The definition of "rich" has been oft topic on this forum. I think the most reasonable answer I found was "freedom." It does not necessarily bring happiness but it gives one a freedom to do more than those without money.
robnplunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2019, 10:58 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Excellent news. Anyone surviving pancreatic cancer should count their blessings.
Anyone surviving ANY cancer should count their blessings! I had a melanoma taken off my forehead yesterday. It was just under the hairline, & totally invisible...except to my dermatologist's young, sharp eyes.
catii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:59 PM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGOTI View Post
A person who has their health, has a thousand dreams. But the person that's lost their health, has only one dream.

which is

i lost my health because i had a lot of fun , when i was young enough to remember it ( for decades )

and now i already have a pension and meet lots of pretty females ( working in medical centers )

You must learn from the mistakes of others. You can't possibly live long enough to make them all yourself.

Samuel Levenson
Oz investor is offline   Reply With Quote
The meaning of Rich
Old 03-09-2019, 06:38 AM   #64

The meaning of Rich

A friend years ago said that “rich” is, “having anything beyond your basic needs met”. My food, clothing and shelter are more than met, with plenty left over for some “wants”...
Old 03-09-2019, 12:31 PM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbach View Post
Went to Panama last week and was very happy. Food and drink was wonderful, weather very nice. And then at the end of our partial canal excursion we passed the ArtessaIV. I'm now not happy and envious:

https://www.boatinternational.com/ya...sterpiece--247
Only one helicopter? Two would make me happy.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 12:51 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificlou View Post
I received a gift today, my oncologist called and informed me that I currently am cancer free now with exception of a few nodes on lungs that may have been there prior to my cancer but not malignant I had been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer back in May 2018 and survived a Whipple surgery along with my chemo treatments. Talk about being rich, Thank you Lord.

That is great news. Now go enjoy living life. God is good.
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:23 AM   #67

All those years when I lived in a small efficiency and dined on beans and biscuits were some of the best times in my life. I guess I started out rich and then it got better regardless of medical issues. It was not so much about the money but my life style (especially after I met my wife 31 years ago).

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:31 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellice View Post
Several contrarian tropes to encourage discussion:

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp" (I think this was Robert Browning, but did not check).

"It's no sin to be poor, but it's no great honor either" (Tevye in "Fiddler on the Roof")

"Anything worth doing is worth doing for money." (The 13th Ferengi Rule of Acquisition)

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose." (Janis Joplin)

While Janice did the definitive version, Kris Kristofferson & Fred Foster deserve the credit for the thought.....
Old 03-11-2019, 08:03 AM   #69
Recycles dryer sheets

Food in your belly and shelter over your head. Friends and family whom you love and who in turn love you. The knowledge and ability to provide for one's self and their loved ones. A Sun that rises in the morning and the freedom and health to do with a day as one pleases.

These are the things that make one "Rich".

EarlyBirdly is offline   Reply With Quote
You want Rich? I got your Rich right here
Old 03-11-2019, 08:40 AM   #70

You want Rich? I got your Rich right here

To all ye Seekers of Truth, here is the true meaning of Rich:

https://www.forkly.com/food/9-sinful...heesecake-day/

At about ten million calories per cubic foot*, cheesecake is Vanderbilt-level rich.

I note here that Tuesday 30 July marks National Cheesecake Day. But there's no law saying you have to wait til then...

*source: aqua-calc.com
Old 03-11-2019, 08:50 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

So, many ways what RICH means to us and how blessed we all are.

I sometimes have the feeling having all the freedom and can buy what I want at anytime, makes me lazy. Money makes me feel lazy not saying that a person is lazy but sometimes I get that awful feeling. Lol
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 09:24 AM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Health, family and friends are most important. Having your basic needs met and some leftover for wants makes life good. Almost forgot my doggies which are priceless.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 12:48 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I agree - that’s rich. Being able to do whatever you want when you want. I saw the documentary on Alex’s pursuit- I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone so at peace with their life.
And he lived in his van. Just saw it a few days ago. When the documentary won the Oscar, he stood way in the background, didn't say anything (IIRC). Everyone one else patting themselves on the back. Now that's rich!

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote