Join Early Retirement Today

The most wonderful thing about retirement?
Old 12-22-2010, 09:39 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The most wonderful thing about retirement?

I just realized--since I'm not working now--that the most wonderful thing about retirement has to be for me, anyway, the fact that when I'm sick I can actually either stay in bed or just watch tv all day and sleep in the chair. No more draaaaagging myself into the office, propping myself up with telephone in hand and working with a fever, no more nasal sounding calling when I have a cold, no more resting for an hour at lunch and dragging myself back into the office. Ahhhhhhhh.....THIS is the life!!! And, for me, this is the biggest advantage to not working anymore. Let me wipe that smile off my face......hummmmmmm......
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2010, 09:43 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Good post. I worked many a day when I was sick - it was the company culture. Ironically, I'm almost never sick now that I'm retired.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:43 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Is that what you've been doing, Orchid, nursing the flu? We missed you here!!!! I hope you feel better soon.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:53 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Hope you are feeling better soon.

Kala Hristouyienna
Old 12-22-2010, 10:25 AM   #5

Yeah, I caught a really bad cold and it occurred to me how wonderful it was not to have to go into work.

I forgot not having to deal with the millions of employee problems and clients' problems--altho I really enjoyed it when I felt well I admit. But, when you aren't feeling up to snuff it's a drag.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:36 AM   #6

Having a hypo-assertive personalitiy I´m glad to have ridden myself of all the hassle that was inherent to my job. HR manager, go figure!
Old 12-22-2010, 11:21 AM   #7

The most wonderful thing about retirement is being rid of the *ssholes. Amen.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:51 PM   #8
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onward View Post
The most wonderful thing about retirement is being rid of the *ssholes. Amen.
Amen.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:54 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I have been sick for the last 6 to 8 weeks. I cannot seem to shake it. It would be awfully nice to collapse until it goes away, but I have this damn job...

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 03:55 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Good post. I worked many a day when I was sick - it was the company culture. Ironically, I'm almost never sick now that I'm retired.
Not that ironic, really. Obviously you were sick of your job, although I bet you probably still enjoyed the work.

Also, in my case, I hardly ever get sick since I started working from home. If I do get sick, it's usually never more than half a day which I attrubute to not being exposed to all the germs in a regular office.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:38 PM   #11

I was in the waiting room at my physician waiting for a blood draw. The place was filled with sick children/people. I just tell myself, you are healthy, I am perfect whole and complete.

Now I am just waiting for a bug to get me.
grasshopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 05:04 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I think the most wonderful thing about retirement is now I can time my drive/errands to when it's right for me. Don't have to fight in traffic on the evenings/weekends like everyone else.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:01 PM   #13

i thought this thread was about the best thing about retirement not how sick you are?

the best things for me is no commute, no dealing with a$$holes, no politics and i can do what i want when i want every day.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:07 PM   #14
Administrator

Get well soon Orchid

At least you can laugh about it this time
Old 12-22-2010, 07:09 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka View Post
i thought this thread was about the best thing about retirement not how sick you are?

the best things for me is no commute, no dealing with a$$holes, no politics and i can do what i want when i want every day.
All that, plus..... NAPS! I never liked naps when I was a little girl, so this has been my first exploration of the glories and wonders of naps.

zzzzzzz.....

OrchidFlower, I hope you feel better soon!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:14 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
All that, plus..... NAPS! I never liked naps when I was a little girl, so this has been my first exploration of the glories and wonders of naps.
Yep. Before retiring the only real experience I had with naps was on the very rare occasion when I was home sick. Now it is really nice to be able to take a short snooze whenever the mood strikes me.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:16 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

We send people home if they are sick. No one wants to catch something brought in by a co-worker. We can't afford it. We also have free flu shots given at the office.

So there's gotta be something more wonderful about retirement than not going in when sick and not commuting. I might as well keep working if that's all that you promise me.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 07:18 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Hope you feel better soon babe. Most wonderful thing about retirement? Well, you all know I often think in terms of music, so here goes. Being free to do what I want - any old day.

Today? Slept in to about 8, went up to the animal shelter and helped out for a few hours, brought home 2 new kittens to foster, shared a great dinner with DH, enjoyed a nice glass of red wine, watched some old movies on TV, and just felt wonderful
Old 12-22-2010, 08:19 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

On the subject of naps, I think they are right up there in the top 5 FIRE recreation activities. Especially the 15-20 minute kind, maybe in the favorite recliner, or maybe in bed. I'm partial to late afternoon but have been known to do a morning-evening double header (esp back when I was wo*king).

Surefire precipitating events: golf on TV, Discovery Channel discussing the masai mara (again), a steady rain outside, a jog earlier in the day, and on and on. Love naps.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:59 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post

So there's gotta be something more wonderful about retirement than not going in when sick and not commuting. I might as well keep working if that's all that you promise me.
LOL! I wouldn't dream of letting you in on the true joys of RE, not even if the dream was during a day nap.

What ever happened to that thread you were going to start for people who love their j*bs?
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote