the movie "A Scanner Darkly"

astromeria

Moderator Emeritus
Has anyone seen this movie based on a Philip K Dick novel (which was in turn based on the unpleasant drug experiences of PKD and friends in the 70s, and wrapped in a sci-fi context)?

My husband and some friends are going to dinner and this movie tonight and they want me to come. I'm cool (more or less) with weirdness, but I'm a weenie when it comes to violence, extreme tension, and just plain being bummed out in my face in full-screen technicolor. Except for some of the violence, I really liked Blade Runner and Total Recall, also based on PK Dick stories, as well as the Matrix movies. But I must be getting wimpier with age.

I need to make my decision by 4:30pm EST ;)

I don't know anything about the movie, but I do not enjoy watching TV commercials in that wierd "rotoscope" animation. Sitting through an hour and a half of it would not be pleasant. I keep expecting the lip motion and dialogue to be out of sync.

I saw the review of this one on ebert and roeper.....I dont think I would enjoy watching a whole movie like this....kinda weird...

I usually refer to this site when I'm in doubt about a movie. This one looks like it received pretty good user reviews. I watched Basic Instinct 2 last night and this site was right on the money. Whatta stinker. Showgirls was better than Basic Instinct 2 :p

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0405296/

cube_rat said:
Whatta stinker.  Showgirls was better than Basic Instinct 2  :p
Well, damn, there goes another evening plan.

Of course I might have to do my own research.

Too late for tonight, astro, but I liked Scanner Darkly. It wasn't violent but there was drug use (some new "soma" drug). Its main theme was government control and corporate oversight of the government.

I like rotoscope. The sound was a bit too difficult to hear but I saw it in an older theater with old speakers. There were funny parts and the movie, while dark, has a relatively upbeat ending.

Back
Top Bottom