The Mrs. “said we have a polar vortex..”

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
“A What?” “The next two days it will be dropping down to the high 30s at night.” (May 8th) My first thought were my tomatoes, cukes, egg plants, peppers and squash in my unheated greenhouse. Tomatoes and the summer stuff don’t like it cold. On a normal day my greenhouse will be as much as 15 - 20 degrees hotter than it is outside during the day. I open the door if it gets to 75 out on a sunny day. I’ve carefully waited until well after our expected last frost date.. more than 10 days ago.

The Mrs has some flimsy used plastic drop cloths that I could borrow - so I was just out creating another layer. The thing is seeds and plant starts are in very short supply this year. I am not anxious to chase replacement starts. IMG_0011.jpgYou know everyone’s building their virus victory garden this year. Also my precious Sungolds aren’t easy to come by on a normal year. Beef steaks, cherries and the like no problem but those orange balls of joy no-way.

I can’t help but think “When it rains it pours...”. The picture is my attempt at saving lives... I hope it isn’t futile.

Last edited:
Do not use plastic. Use cloth.
We did once and it trapped a lot of moisture under it which froze.
Plus "the internet said not to".

I’ve seen it used successfully however it won’t get down to 32. I hear old sheets are preferred.

It's been snowing lightly for the past hour here in NW PA. But it's 37 degrees now so too warm to accumulate. I was at a local nature preserve admiring the trillium and swamp marigolds in full bloom

DW is the gardener in this household. She agrees that they should be covered and a light bulb or some heat source to keep them warm would be good too. Especially the tomatos and peppers.

As an aside, I knew rayinpenn was the OP by just reading the title.

Last edited:
Since they're in a greenhouse, aren't the plants already covered? Covering things is to prevent radiational cooling, which the greenhouse roof should already accomplish.

Better safe than sorry, though.

Can’t run a heater out there? Agree, not much point in covering. That just helps with frost. They won’t frost in the green house.

Any to bring them in the house? I know, a mess, but if you have time and money into it and replacement is hard to obtain, I’d start carting them inside. What about an attached garage. That’s where my bonsais will be tonight. That won’t drop below 40.

SW PA is scheduled to be around 25F in the morning. My plants as usual thrive on benign neglect. So they will fend for themselves. Gotta let mother nature do her thing.

Since they're in a greenhouse, aren't the plants already covered? Covering things is to prevent radiational cooling, which the greenhouse roof should already accomplish.

Better safe than sorry, though.

I’ve seen gardeners using multi layers with great success on youtube

We killed some things with plastic a few winters ago (smaller trees). We use old sheets now.

SW PA is scheduled to be around 25F in the morning. My plants as usual thrive on benign neglect. So they will fend for themselves. Gotta let mother nature do her thing.

+1 Neither DH nor I have a green thumb. When something dies in our yard, we'll replace it, but not with whatever it was.

I found an old lamp with a 60 watt bulb and care fully put it under the plastic ... I think it will be enough for tonight. Of course by the time I got in there today it was close to 80..sun! 33 last night. I’ll turn it on about 5pm.

Back
Top Bottom