The "new" Hostess Snack Cakes?

mountainsoft

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Is it just me, or has the taste of Hostess snack products declined since they went bankrupt in 2012?

Occasionally I will grab a Hostess fruit pie or mini donuts as a treat. Somehow they don't taste the same as what I remember as a kid, but I don't eat them often enough for a fair comparison. I always thought Hostess was the "top of the line" in snack products, but these days I think the smaller brands like Little Debbies or JJ's pies taste better.

Yes. I agree, I ate a ho-ho and it was not as good as the swiss cake roll.

Over the last 2 summers, I bought some snack cakes that I used to adore as a child.
Once per week we would go into the village and I'd spend my money from carrying wood or chopping wood on an RC cola and a snack cake, sitting on the front porch of the store in the sunshine.
Great Memory :)

Now, when I eat the cakes, they simply don't taste as good.
I don't really think the cakes have changed much, but it is me, my expectations of taste have grown a lot.
After all, I never ate Thai food until I was around 40.

I don't eat those items often but recall the taste changing for the worse around the time trans fats were villified and removed.

I don't care for the stuff like I did at 18. Can't eat near the calories. Not sure if the product changed or my taste but they don't make me want to eat them.

I was a Suzy Q's fan back in the day. Used to love licking that cream filling off the inside of the cello pack!

I don't eat those items often but recall the taste changing for the worse around the time trans fats were villified and removed.
Pretty sure you are spot on.

Ah, my Hostess cupcakes. Do you take a bite all the way through or save the icing for the blast of sugar at the end?

I think Bimbo purchased them (could be wrong) who's the largest bakery company in the world.

Just like when I was in Mexico a couple weeks ago and bought my favorite Jaegermeister (I know, ewww). It had a different taste. Looked and it's bottled in Mexico. Obviously the formula has some different ingredient.

Oh well

Second that on the Suzy Q's. Bought some recently and told DW that it was like eating air. No satisfying denseness to the cake and the filling was not smooth and creamy any longer.

Hostess cupcakes have really gone down hill, and its not attributable to my tastes having changed. The vending machine at work stocked "Mrs. Freshley's" ? and they were much closer to what Hostess used to be.

I have not found a replacement for Hostess fruit pies yet. I lived on these in college. The vending machine in the TV room would get restocked and I'd swoop in and pull out cherry/blueberry/apple pies until a lemon or some other flavor was next... I'd go back to watching TV until somebody bought the lemon and then I'd go back to draining the machine. Now instead of a handheld fruit pie we just make a traditional pie.

Having a Hostess bakery outlet in town was dangerous!

Per Google.............
Your sense of smell and taste change as you age. Between the ages of 40 and 50, the number of taste buds decreases, and the rest begin to shrink, losing mass vital to their operation. After age 60, you may begin to lose the ability to distinguish the taste of sweet, salty, sour, and bitter foods.

Per Google.............
Your sense of smell and taste change as you age. Between the ages of 40 and 50, the number of taste buds decreases, and the rest begin to shrink, losing mass vital to their operation. After age 60, you may begin to lose the ability to distinguish the taste of sweet, salty, sour, and bitter foods.
Thanks that explains a lot. I recently figured out I can't smell the stuff they put in nat gas anymore. I can't smell the hot springs in town anymore either.

Is it just me, or has the taste of Hostess snack products declined since they went bankrupt in 2012?

Occasionally I will grab a Hostess fruit pie or mini donuts as a treat. Somehow they don't taste the same as what I remember as a kid, but I don't eat them often enough for a fair comparison. I always thought Hostess was the "top of the line" in snack products, but these days I think the smaller brands like Little Debbies or JJ's pies taste better.
I would never consider eating one regardless.
+1
Frankenfood - wouldn't touch one.:(
+1
It's been at least 20-30 years (or more) since I last had a Hostess snack product (or, Little Debbies and I never heard of JJ's). I didn't even know they went bankrupt. :LOL:

In my case the reason is that I gain too much weight if I eat them. I do salute those of you who can get away with eating Hostess snack products :baconflag: , but it is simpler for me to just avoid them.

I was a Suzy Q's fan back in the day. Used to love licking that cream filling off the inside of the cello pack!

Second that on the Suzy Q's. Bought some recently and told DW that it was like eating air. No satisfying denseness to the cake and the filling was not smooth and creamy any longer.

I'm a chocoholic and self-proclaimed expert on Hostess products. All of their chocolate products have gone downhill. I still enjoy the chocolate Twinkies. I called Hostess a couple of years ago and the customer service rep said that the current Ho Ho's recipe is identical to the pre-bankruptcy one. I don't believe it. Their chocolate cupcakes (with the squiggle) are passable.
But the biggest crime is what they did to my beloved Suzy Q's. Nowhere close to the original. I went into a state of mourning after I ate one of those tasteless new ones.

I don't know if they're just in the Northeast, but TastyKake makes a great chocolate cupcake, called Chocolate Bells. They're now my go-to for my chocolate fix.

Not nearly a national brand but when the Hubig's factory burnt a few years ago many of us cried.
NO_Hubig

I ate them years ago. Not sure when I quit. My desire for those kind of treats have declined in my old age. I still have a sweet tooth, but no desire for Hostess type cakes.

But the biggest crime is what they did to my beloved Suzy Q's. Nowhere close to the original. I went into a state of mourning after I ate one of those tasteless new ones.

I'm bummed to hear this about Suzy Q's. Haven't had any for about 40 years now. Thanks Apollo Global Management and Metropoulos & Co (private equity firm and current owners of the Hostess brands) for crapping on one of my childhood indulgences.

Thanks I've seen this before. After watching my DM with dementia it's a frightening thought.

It's odd in that early in life it took a while for me to notice losing my smell for certain things.

When I was 21 I worked in a walnut sawmill, took years to notice losing the smell. At age 59, we moved to a town with hot springs and after a week I can no longer smell them.

Back
Top Bottom