The Olympics are Too Much

CFB, you should have worn a larger helmet, methinks you took too many hits.

The First Intercollegaite Football game in NA was played by Mc Gill University(Go Redmen) of Montreal and Yale, McGill had to explain the rules.

Naismith, who brought the game of Basketball to the masses was a Canadian, and the FIRST documented game of Baseball , a takeoff on the English Game of Rounders, was played in Beachville, Ontario, one year before Cooperstown.

I am a former distance runner, I can identify with the sacrifices these kids make.

Actually the first intercollegiate football game was played in the US between princeton and rutgers. Mcgill played rugby, not football, with some american universities.

Naismith did invent basketball. While teaching in the US.

As far as the alleged baseball game in beachville, the source of that rumor was a letter written by a Dr. Ford, describing a game he had seen played in his home town of beachville. However, Ford would have been six years old at the time of the game, which somewhat strains the believability of his extensive 'recollection'. During the decades before and after the writing of his 'recollection', he was plagued with alcohol and drug problems, and may have murdered a woman in a drunken state. He died destitute. In other words, he was a nut job and his allegations are not believable.

Along side that are well documented games played loosely on the english game of rounders, in and around new england and new york, as far back as the early 1800's. Decades before the supposed game in beachville.

Glad to strap a helmet on and bang heads with you anytime, maxy...if you can find one big enough for your fat head...

Completely Fulla BS said:
Glad to strap a helmet on and bang heads with you anytime, maxy...if you can find one big enough for your fat head...

Until I saw the above I was a little concerned that JG would against precedent actually go away. Then I might have to go sit in family restaurants waiting for the tired parents to come in with their kids and start squabbling.

I am relieved to realize that however the JG announcement plays out, I can save the gas and effort of traveling to a restaurant, and just tune in right here on "early-retirement.org."

Thanks guys, without you my life would not be so full. And a special thanks to all those doughty folk from up North who demonstrate that indomitable Canadian spirit. Truly it recalls fondest memories of former poster “Hyperborea".  :)

Ha

Ha: My personal experience with Canadians have been mostly positive until I started posting on this board.

It defies all logic and reason that every poster from Canada, and that certainly includes Hyperboria, that have chosen to post on this board have been a--holes with a capital A.

I freely admit that I'm not smart enough to figure this out, but maybe somebody on this board can offer an explanation as to why this is happening. ;)

Jarhead, who believes that most Canadians are not A--holes, regardless of the evidence presented to this board.

Jarhead* said:
It defies all logic and reason that every poster from Canada, and that certainly includes Hyperboria, that have chosen to post on this board have been a--holes with a capital A.

Jarhead, who believes that most Canadians are not A--holes, regardless of the evidence presented to this board.

Careful Jarhead. Don't forget AltaRed and Calgary Girl, who are perfectly nice. There likely are others too on this board, but I am forgetful. :(

I would chime in as well to say I have visited Canada (Vancouver and Victoria) numerous times and had a wonderful time every time, from my stays in the youth hostel all the way up to the fanciest hotel in Victoria (across the square from Parliment?). Canadians have been consistenly friendly, polite, well educated and up on current events. I remember getting in a deep philisophical discussion with the patrons of a hole in the wall pizza parlor next to Beacon Hill Park. Magnificent country.

This is the reason I get suspicious of multiple Canadiens with attitudes, all coming on board at the same time. ;)

p.s. Zipper is Canadian as well, right? So we have plenty of Northern neighbors who know what they are aboot! ;)

Laurence said:
I would chime in as well to say I have visited Canada (Vancouver and Victoria) numerous times ...

Canadians have been consistenly friendly, polite, well educated ...

This is the reason I get suspicious of multiple Canadiens with attitudes, all coming on board at the same time. ;)

How weird. Laurence, you are only too ready to pass judgement upon others. Now does it ever occur to you, yes little ole you, that you have an attitude?

:)

Attachments

• troll.jpg
    troll.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 77
Maximillion said:
These sports all require rigorous training and dedication and judgement is being passed by people, some of whom changeing the battery on the Remote is as close as they can come to exercise.

The training and the route necessary for a Figure Skater starts at a very young age on a small rink in a small town then progresses through years of travelling, training, competing just to get to National Trials

I think Jazz is loud noise made by second rate players who could not make it in a real orchestra, I don't understand Jazz, I don't like Jazz, but I don't criticise it either.

Football, dumb sport played by morbidly obese men who wear lots of body armour so other obese men won't hurt them, unlike hockey where the skill is required to skate and pass and body armour is at a minimum. :rant:

I respectfully submit that you don't know much about music; jazz is the MOST difficult music to play. IMHO, of course. ;)

Martha said:
Careful Jarhead.  Don't forget AltaRed and Calgary Girl, who are perfectly nice. There likely are others too on this board, but I am forgetful.   :(

Martha: You are of course right re: my generalizing.

I deserved being taken behind the wood-shed and given a few strokes with a well selected "hickory".

But sometimes, you just get pissed off. ;) ;) ;)

The Japanese skater who got gold was head, shoulders, and panties above the rest, IMHO...

Arakawa. I'm not normally a fan of figure skating, but her performance was just poetry.

Bpp

Completely Fulla BS said:
You do know my wifes name is Wendy, right?

Your wifes name is Wendy Right? Oh yeah, you live in CA, where it isn't uncommon for a bride to keep her maiden name. Guess it's a lot better than Wendy BS... ;)

Great, now I have to explain why I'm laughing again.

Oddly enough, according to her my maiden name was also "right"...

I knew a Wendy once too, but she wasn't exactly Whoppers.

Come to think about it, don't think she was a junior burger either.

:LOL: Reminds me of two T-shirts I dimly remember buying at the Hershey chocolate factory(?) as souvenirs when I was about 10 or 11.

They were reproductions of the candy labels, "Reeses' -- two great tastes" and "Bite Size Mounds "

My mother had a strange antipathy towards them that I couldn't figure out for the longest time...!
"I wish you wouldn't wear that shirt!"

Speaking of Whoppers and clothing souvenirs, I liked the underpants with "Home of the Whopper!" on the front.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom