Join Early Retirement Today

The Olympics are Too Much
Old 02-24-2006, 09:39 AM   #1

The Olympics are Too Much

The Olympics have gone too far, and here are two examples of what I mean:

1. Skiing.* It's totally reasonable to say "Let's see who can ski down the mountain faster."* But this concept has been extended to absurdity.* Bode Miller reportedly travels with 30 pairs of skis, spending $8,000/trip to transport them, plus full time people to service them.*

2. Figure Skating.* Starts with the concept of "Let's see who can be graceful and do interesting things on skates."* Great idea.* Look at a movie of figure skating in the Olympics in the 30's and that's what you'll see.*

Now, however, it's all about the triple and quad jumps.* Everyone zones out until a jump comes, then they just watch to see if the skater "made the landing."* Plus, the skaters give up their childhood and skate 42 hours a day.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: The Olympics are Too Much
Old 02-24-2006, 09:43 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Maybe I am just internally defective in some way, but I really fail to see the attraction of watching the Olympics on TV.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 09:57 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

I'd have watched more if it didn't conflict with American Idol. Now that is sport!

setab
Old 02-24-2006, 10:36 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Al - I saw on bloomberg this morning where the reporter finally admitted she only watches the skating to see if someone would fall, and the anchor in the newsroom said "thats a huge relief, I feel the same way...I thought I was the only one!".

I'll bet they're in the majority.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 11:53 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I watch so I can see the skater's panties...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 12:05 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yeah, ever since Dorothy Hammil with that big booty and big panties
OldAgePensioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 12:10 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have Funds, Will Retire
I watch so I can see the skater's panties...*
Umm...some of the skaters are 15 years old!
He had one of those rare smiles with a quality of eternal reassurance in it . . . It faced, or seemed to face, the whole external world for an instant and then concentrated on you with an irresistible prejudice in your favor. -- The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald
Jay_Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 12:11 PM   #8

Quote:
the skating to see if someone would fall
Yes, exactly! *In fact, I realized this a few years ago, and decided to learn to really enjoy the falls. * With the wife, you're going to have to watch ice skating, and that's the only way I can bear to watch it. *I have become a connoisseur of falls. *

What you want is a fall that makes the elegant graceful skater look like a real klutz. *This Olympics had a few perfect 10's, at least in the ice dancing. *

The gold medal went to ice dancing where the man was spinning the woman around like a centrifuge, and she slips off his arms, shoots out a few feet, and lands on her butt.

This narrowly beat out the silver medalist couple, in which the woman stumbles then falls, and the man falls on top of her.

Bronze went to the woman who landed on the ice like a frog.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:16 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Gatsby
Umm...some of the skaters are 15 years old!*
You're right... Too old...

Old 02-24-2006, 12:37 PM   #10

Quote:
admitted she only watches the skating to see if someone would fall, and the anchor in the newsroom said "thats a huge relief, I feel the same way...I thought I was the only one!"
So you're saying the audience for figure skating is materially no different from the audience for NASCAR?* * *Or is it just the TV idiots who are no different..

I'd say the latter.
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 12:41 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

I saw Dorothy Hamil skate last week and she's still so beautiful and graceful on the ice. No fancy tricks or anything. At most she'll do a double axle, but you don't notice she only rotated twice because it's just executed so well.
Old 02-24-2006, 12:46 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by setab
I'd have watched more if it didn't conflict with American Idol.* Now that is sport!

setab
Same here.* After having nothing but disdain for AI the last 3-4 years, I watched one audition show and was suddenly hooked.* Is anyone else going to admit it??

We watched Olympics and AI simultaneously with the PIP feature - the actual action over a full hour was about 3-4 minutes on each show.
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 12:56 PM   #13

I really enjoy the Olympics, and see it as an opportunity for countries to come together amicably.

>How much money should be spent on our top skiiers? Do you want us to win?

>I thought all that mattered was the jumps too until I watched Sasha Cohen fall twice, and come away with a Silver. Clearly, I was mistaken.
azanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 01:09 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Went to bed before the Russian skater; if Cohen got silver, the Russian must've been REALLY bad...

The Japanese skater who got gold was head, shoulders, and panties above the rest, IMHO...* 8)

Old 02-24-2006, 01:18 PM   #15

I have never understood why the skaters have such trouble with the jumps.* Can you imagine Bill Parcells coaching an ice skater.* She would jump 14 hours a day, until it was extremely routine and no big deal.* They've all got the ability to do it, but they lack the mental confidence.* If you must do something to win, then "just do it."*

BTW:* I annoy DW, who loves to watch ice skating, by telling her it's just a bunch of dirty old men who make the sport so popular. Does anybody watch the men skaters? * Now I'm going to say something really, really, naughty:* "triple toe loop".* There, put that in your double axle.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 01:21 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

"There, put that in your double axle."

Was that a reference to the male skaters? Not that it matters.

setab
Old 02-24-2006, 01:25 PM   #17

Quote:
Same here. *After having nothing but disdain for AI the last 3-4 years, I watched one audition show and was suddenly hooked. *Is anyone else going to admit it??
We watch it. *You've got to record it so you can skip the boring stuff. *

The auditions are scary, because they show that someone can be completely wrong when assessing their abilities. * So, as a musician you wonder whether you are fooling yourself. *
Old 02-24-2006, 01:31 PM   #18

My biggest complaint about the Olympics is that it messes with the tv schedule. I miss Earl!
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2006, 04:30 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

I admit to watching AI, Survivor, and Amazing Race. I'm an addict, but there are worse vices in life.
Old 02-24-2006, 04:54 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl
The Olympics have gone too far, and here are two examples of what I mean:
1. Skiing. It's totally reasonable to say "Let's see who can ski down the mountain faster." But this concept has been extended to absurdity. Bode Miller reportedly travels with 30 pairs of skis, spending $8,000/trip to transport them, plus full time people to service them.
2. Figure Skating. Starts with the concept of "Let's see who can be graceful and do interesting things on skates." Great idea. Look at a movie of figure skating in the Olympics in the 30's and that's what you'll see.
Now, however, it's all about the triple and quad jumps. Everyone zones out until a jump comes, then they just watch to see if the skater "made the landing." Plus, the skaters give up their childhood and skate 42 hours a day.
I agree with your premise. But think about it humans always think better is better (if one pill is good 2 pills must be better) look at women's breast implants (and I like to); a C cup is just about right to me. They look good and you can still do things not only on the horizontal but the vertical - meaning you can go outside and do things. But what do we see more and more of? DD; DDD; DDDD; F; FF; FFF;FFF and BIIIGGGGEEEERRRRR