The Past is Future - again?

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I just read where Starbucks is going to open some premium stores with things like roasting beans.

IIRC, the first Starbucks near me, all those years ago, sold whole beans in bulk. That was one of the charms of the place, going in, looking at the bins of beans, smelling the beans, and then buying a bag to bring home. I am not sure if they were roasted at the store, probably not.

“Everything we have created and learned about coffee has led us to this moment. The Starbucks Reserve Roastery and Tasting room is a multi-sensory experience that will transform the future of specialty coffee,” said Howard Schultz, chairman, president and chief executive officer of Starbucks.

That's the way it seems to go. When I started my computer career, we had a central computer called a mainframe. The mainframe housed all the information and software from a central location.

Then, they went to PCs, and the PCs housed all the software in many locations.

Now, they have servers, located in a central location. The servers hold all the information and software in a central location... They just don't call them a mainframe, but are basically the same power as the mainframes of the past.

Back
Top Bottom