Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-17-2018, 05:28 AM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy2020 View Post
With the devastation caused by Hurricane Michael, I sincerely doubt that demand for materials will "back off".
One big problem in Florida is their anti-gouging laws. The price of future building supplies and labor will be the same as it was in Florida before the hurricane.

That means plywood companies, drywall manufacturers and roofing manufacturers do not make any upward shift in production since they have no monetary reason to do so. Houses that can be rebuilt and reroofed will have big blue tarps on their roofs a year or two from now because there are no building supplies to buy.

People that are building homes in other states will have to pay out the nose for plywood, drywall and shingles in the future. Contractors in other southern states will also be difficult to find the next year when they go to work in Florida temporarily. When the supply of labor goes down, the price goes up.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2018, 06:32 AM   #82
Dryer sheet aficionado

We just finished off our attached two car garage into what was supposed to be a family room and a laundry room. Our estimate came in at 40k. I had only allotted 30k to the entire project. We ended up keeping the washer/dryer in the basement and made the laundry room into a mudroom, which was the real reason we needed the space. We also skipped on the cabinets and pellet stove from the contractor because we knew we could add them ourselves after the fact. Do I regret it? Not one bit. We use that space every single day. We planned ahead and built a detached garage with loft storage to make up for losing the attached car space.
Now saying all this, we have no intention of moving in the next 15 years so I'm pretty certain that we will get our money back on the investment. If I were you, I'd evaluate how long you're planning to be there and see if you can DIY some of the work.
AprM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 06:12 PM   #83
Full time employment: Posting here.

Have you gotten at least 2 other estimates for this project?
meleana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 07:54 AM   #84

Iím curious, Dr. Roy, what did you decide?
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 05:55 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by meleana View Post
Have you gotten at least 2 other estimates for this project?
Yes we did. The contractor we chose was initially the low bidder, very good reputation, knew the local inspectors well, and was the best communicator.
Old 10-25-2018, 06:02 PM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
Iím curious, Dr. Roy, what did you decide?
We are still deciding to some degree, as the project does not begin for another couple weeks anyway. The contractor has found a bit of savings and we have pared back a little from the list. Still at $75K. To cut more we would really have to start taking away elements that we want. We can afford it, so, even thought I feel like there was some bait and switch, the response to the post mostly said that such things are nearly inevitable, and that others have been very happy with the results they got in similar situations. My guess is that we will proceed at this point. I wonder what would have happened with our second choice builder, but I would also hate to switch now, delay everything to get on a new track, and wind up in the same place.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:27 PM   #87
gone traveling

Just mentally budget for a 20% overrun.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 11:52 PM   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
We are still deciding to some degree, as the project does not begin for another couple weeks anyway. The contractor has found a bit of savings and we have pared back a little from the list. Still at $75K. To cut more we would really have to start taking away elements that we want. We can afford it, so, even thought I feel like there was some bait and switch, the response to the post mostly said that such things are nearly inevitable, and that others have been very happy with the results they got in similar situations. My guess is that we will proceed at this point. I wonder what would have happened with our second choice builder, but I would also hate to switch now, delay everything to get on a new track, and wind up in the same place.

Good decision IMO. Youíll be happy later that you got what you really wanted.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 07:52 AM   #89
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
we have pared back a little from the list. Still at $75K.
I would do what you want and forget about paring back the list, you will not miss the 5K over XX years, get what you want YOLO!
capjak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
remodel cost