The Right Tool for the Dirty Job

To you use a pooper scooper to clean up after your dog?

• Yes. They are great!

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Yes. They are okay.

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • No. Not worth the effort. I do it the (ick) old fashioned way.

Votes: 15 78.9%
  • No. I look both ways, then run! ;-)

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Okay,

So, when your dog does is dirty deed :blush: do you use a pooper scooper?

I take my friends dog (he's a sweetheart of a dog) and of course, where's there's a dog, there's ...well you know...

I just ordered this from Amazon.

Amazon.com: Our Pets Skoop-N-Pak: Home & Garden

It is rated high. But there's a question about the bag sizes.

As of today, I voted number 3, "ick", but hope that I can say #1 "Great" when the picker-upper arrives.

Folks use the plastic bags that newspapers come in. Insert hand & forearm into bag like it was a glove. Then grab it and peel bag off your hand enclosing it within the bag.

To clearify, my "old fashioned way" is to use plastic bags...no pickup tool used :(

When I had a dogs, I used a flat shovel (coal shovel type) and a plastic kid's garden hoe. Then put the remains in a plastic bag.

Folks use the plastic bags that newspapers come in. Insert hand & forearm into bag like it was a glove. Then grab it and peel bag off your hand enclosing it within the bag.

That´s my style:), save that I use discarded plastic grocery bags, of which we have plenty, yet:blush:

That´s my style:), save that I use discarded plastic grocery bags, of which we have plenty, yet:blush:
+1...

Of course, I clip the bag to the lead (where it attaches to the collar), so they get to carry their "gift" home where I dispose of the contents (in the woods - same place the bears go :whistle: ...)

Volume is the deciding factor. For our small dog, I use a plastic bag from the newspaper or grocery shopping. They are good for when we take a walk, too (you don't have to actually use it, but if you're walking the dog it's good to be seen with a plastic bag in your hand.) But sometimes a large dog comes to visit, and for that I use our scooper (two-piece--shovel and "pusher").

I should work on a little holder so the plastic bag can be affixed directly to the pup, like the bag horses use in parades. Most of us are fans of Direct Deposit, right?

That what I used when I had a dog. He was an English Mastiff and never did the deed in one shot. ( I know TMI.)

I had a neighbor that would walk her Great Dane and it would leave a large pile on our my sidewalk. One day, there was an extra large pile, I carefully shoveled it up and redeposited it on her sidewalk.... Problem solved from that day on.

I had a neighbor that would walk her Great Dane and it would leave a large pile on our my sidewalk. One day, there was an extra large pile, I carefully shoveled it up and redeposited it on her sidewalk.... Problem solved from that day on.

You should have left there the material with which you had to clean up your shovel, too:cool:

Amazing - - so far, 93% claim they pick it up (whether with pooper-scooper or other methods).

I don't think I have EVER seen anyone pick it up in my neighborhood, even when neighboring homeowners are outside. Apparently the ER forum is an exceptionally socially conscious bunch.

As for me, I don't have a dog.

There is a county park near my house, which I am in at least four mornings a week. It's rare that I don't encounter at least a few dog walkers during my visit.

The park has a couple of very conveniently located places where you can grab a free plastic bag for picking up your dog's production.
But the remarkable thing is that I see few of the dog walkers using the provided bags. Nearly all of them bring their own bags, typically either supermarket bags or newspaper bags.

I've been using this park for over ten years, and have probably seen fewer than ten instances of non-compliance. Most people are good!

Still, I wish the signs were more like those I've seen in English parks. Can't remember the exact wording, but they go something like
"Pet owners are reminded that it is an offense to foul the footpath."

Amazing - - so far, 93% claim they pick it up (whether with pooper-scooper or other methods).

I don't think I have EVER seen anyone pick it up in my neighborhood, even when neighboring homeowners are outside. Apparently the ER forum is an exceptionally socially conscious bunch.

As for me, I don't have a dog.

It happens to be illegal here to not pick up after your dog - is that not the case in LA? People will call somone one out if they don't pick up their dog's "business"!

Still, I wish the signs were more like those I've seen in English parks. Can't remember the exact wording, but they go something like
"Pet owners are reminded that it is an offense to foul the footpath."
Here's a picture I took of a sign in England (on closer examination, it may have been Scotland, UK anyway):

Attachments

• DSC00367.jpg
    DSC00367.jpg
    645.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I was out walking in the woods the other day, a little way off the track. Some zealous but clueless dog owner who had passed the same way, had scooped up after their dog (as if they were in town) and hung the bag in a tree. So instead of leaving the poop on the forest floor where it would have gone in a week, they had preserved it for a year or more. They obviously had no clue about why and when you should scoop. Did they think that all the deer and wild boar in the woods use a flush toilet?

Okay,

So, when your dog does is dirty deed :blush: do you use a pooper scooper?

I take my friends dog (he's a sweetheart of a dog) and of course, where's there's a dog, there's ...well you know...

I just ordered this from Amazon.

Amazon.com: Our Pets Skoop-N-Pak: Home & Garden

It is rated high. But there's a question about the bag sizes.

As of today, I voted number 3, "ick", but hope that I can say #1 "Great" when the picker-upper arrives.

Well, I had the chance to use my new Skoop-N-Pak poop scooper today as I walked my friend's dog, and I give the scooper a thumbs up. There still is an ick factor as I still need to tie the bag, but that process is a lot better than nothing between my hands and the you know what but plastic.

I say, for a small dog (my friend's dog is about 20 lbs), the scooper works fine. But for larger dogs, I do see how that can be an issue.

Do I dare say, this device make the pick up process almost a joy :angel:

Back
Top Bottom