The Series 6 and 63 Test

janeeyre

Recycles dryer sheets
Did anyone ever take the Series 6 and 63 tests? My daughter, a recent college grad, is starting a new position at Vanguard and she must pass both of these tests after a 6 week orientation process. I have always been in the education field and, therefore, never heard of these exams. Are they difficult to pass? Can you recommend a book, or tape to study? Sounds somewhat stressful even though she feels that the 6 week orientation will help relieve her anxiety.

As always, thanks so much for your input

I don't have to take them, but I had a friend take them and she didn't pass. I don't think they are especially difficult, but don't let them tell her she doesn't have to study. Vanguard should have a pretty comprehensive review available to her, or can recommend a good study course.
It is a lot of memorization of rules/laws. Finance Dude probably took them and can tell you more.

6 is easier than the 7. As a recent college grad she should be used to studying and test taking. If she reads the material and takes practice exams she should pass the 6. Many people who are otherwise intelligent have problems with the 63. It is shorter and usually taken after the 6 or 7. People tend to relax after passing the larger exam and don't study enough for the 63. When I took the 7 I scored ~95%. I took the 63 a couple of weeks later and barely passed.

Vanguard probably provides study materials. The key to those exams is to take as many practice tests as possible.

Did anyone ever take the Series 6 and 63 tests? My daughter, a recent college grad, is starting a new position at Vanguard and she must pass both of these tests after a 6 week orientation process. I have always been in the education field and, therefore, never heard of these exams. Are they difficult to pass? Can you recommend a book, or tape to study? Sounds somewhat stressful even though she feels that the 6 week orientation will help relieve her anxiety.

As always, thanks so much for your input
what do these tests allow you to do?

For your info...

Series 6 Examination

The Investment Company Products/Variable Contracts Products Limited Representative Qualification Examination (Series 6) is a 100 question multiple-choice Examination. Candidates who are successful in passing the examination are permitted to transact an NASD member's business in redeemable securities of companies registered pursuant of Investment Company Act of 1940, securities of closed-end companies registered pursuant of Investment Company Act of 1940 during the period of original distribution only, and variable contracts and insurance premium funding programs and other contracts issued by an insurance company except contracts that are exempt securities pursuant to Section 3(a)(8) of the securities Act of 1933.

Series 63 Examination

The Series 63, Uniform Securities Agent State Law Examination, is the state law test for broker-dealer representatives. The exam is administered by the North American Securities Administrators Association (NASAA). Completion of the Series 63 exam will entitle an individual with the qualifications necessary to become a securities agent who solicits orders for any type of security in a particular state. Series 63 certification is required in 40 states.

I doubt it. He problably took the series 7 instead plus the insurance exam.

Series 7, plus 63 and 65 (now combined and called 66). Also insurance.

The Series 6 is either hard or easy, based on your background. It covers the basics of investing, and allows those who pass it to recommend mutual funds. It is the minimum requirement to work at a shop like Vanguard.

For your info...

Series 6 Examination

The Investment Company Products/Variable Contracts Products Limited Representative Qualification Examination (Series 6) is a 100 question multiple-choice Examination. Candidates who are successful in passing the examination are permitted to transact an NASD member's business in redeemable securities of companies registered pursuant of Investment Company Act of 1940, securities of closed-end companies registered pursuant of Investment Company Act of 1940 during the period of original distribution only, and variable contracts and insurance premium funding programs and other contracts issued by an insurance company except contracts that are exempt securities pursuant to Section 3(a)(8) of the securities Act of 1933.

Series 63 Examination

The Series 63, Uniform Securities Agent State Law Examination, is the state law test for broker-dealer representatives. The exam is administered by the North American Securities Administrators Association (NASAA). Completion of the Series 63 exam will entitle an individual with the qualifications necessary to become a securities agent who solicits orders for any type of security in a particular state. Series 63 certification is required in 40 states.

Series 63 is commonly called the "blue sky" test for your state.

To me, it is a "nitpickier" test than the Series 6.

as soon as I saw the part that said "college grad" I knew she will not have any trouble with these exams.

I took the 7 & 65 which are supposed to be harder but can't really be considered hard at all.

Tell her to read the books, and do lots of practice problems. These tests are not difficult.

Why is 6 afraid of 7?

now if a 6 turned out to be 9... would all the hippies cut off all their hair?

I took both exams years ago and thought that they were pretty simple. You do not have to have any real investment knowledge to pass the exam. You only have to be prepared to take the exam and know the material that they test on.

I remember thinking, after I passed them, that I really did not know a darn thing about investing or mutual funds other than the 100 or so answers that I gave.

I'm sure that Vanguard has an excellent exam prep course that they will run her thru and will pass.

Thank you all for your responses. She has acquired several study books and practice tests. She starts at Vanguard on July 2 and takes the test the second week in August. Hopefully, she will be well prepared.

Back
Top Bottom