Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-25-2014, 10:16 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post
Having been in the IT world for about 25 years, much of writing code, my own personal feeling is that the truly intelligent, self-aware, sentient machine will never happen.

In fact, I think you could give the smartest people on the planet regarding AI (artificial intelligence) access to an unlimited number of infinitely fast processors, and an unlimited amount of infinitely fast memory and storage, and I still don't see it happening.

A sentient machine would have to be "bootstrapped" by something, and I think that something would have to be our own knowledge of how we as humans think and are sentient. But we don't know enough of all that to reproduce it (short of biological reproduction, ie, having a baby).

I would be willing to bet even another 2000 years from now, assuming technology continues to advance, we still wouldn't see a truly sentient machine. I just don't see it happening. Ever.
I'm not so sure about that. I'm a programmer/engineer - and know that the stuff I'm personally working on doesn't fit the bill in any way shape or form. Nor should it.

But I chaperoned my FLL robotics team to a field trip the the Neurosciences Institute in La Jolla. Those folks are approaching the programming in a completely different way. They're trying to learn how the brain works and are simulating it with a completely different style of programming. I didn't understand all of it - but it was pretty mind blowing. (We spent more time talking to the guys who built their crazy cool robots that play soccer - on segway platforms. So I didn't get a chance to dig deeper into it.)

There are people working on a whole new paradigm - much closer to the way the brain operates... as a way of confirming how the brain operates. Not just decision trees - but preferences, biases, some learned preferences, but others random and innate, etc. (Why do some people like chocolate, and others prefer candy corn?)

Synthetic Neural Modeling - The Neurosciences Institute
rodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2014, 10:45 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just don't forget to program in the Three Laws before turning the robots loose to replicate themselves, write their own programs, etc.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:00 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Regarding impossibilities, I'm always mindful of Arthur Clarke's First Law: When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 11:24 AM   #44
Confused about dryer sheets

Did you guys notice in that article that Ray K. is referred to as, "Futurist and Google’s Director of Engineering Ray Kurzweil"... How long has he been Google's Director of Engineering?
retiredat51looking40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 12:11 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

He became Google Director of Engr in Dec 2012. Good choice in my opinion
Steelart99 is offline   Reply With Quote