The site's security certificate is not trusted! (no, not er.org)

kaneohe

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
What is the significance of the warning below? In the past, I have actually been able to get some "small" sites (public arts arm of local university/county property tax office) to admit their certificates were not updated. After they updated, the warning went away. I have never been successful in getting large sites (financial) to admit guilt or to do something. Is this a problem w/ them , my computer, or the combination. In this particular case, neither Safari nor Chrome on the Macbook work.

The site's security certificate is not trusted!
You attempted to reach Contact Support, but the server presented a certificate issued by an entity that is not trusted by your computer's operating system. This may mean that the server has generated its own security credentials, which Google Chrome cannot rely on for identity information, or an attacker may be trying to intercept your communications.
You should not proceed, especially if you have never seen this warning before for this site.
Proceed anyway Back to safety

It probably means the site owner was too lazy/cheap to pay for a certificate renewal, or (more unlikely if you're running a newer OS) it could be that your computer needs to be updated as it may be missing some new root certificates. You can contact the site owner or post the address here and we can check it for you.

Thanks for info.
here are 2 ....... janus.com usbank.com

I did talk to Janus....probably the wrong person.....no progress.

I just went to those sites using Chrome on my computer, and did not encounter the error. I noticed that their SSL certificates were issued in June and August of this year.

I suspect that your Windows certificate store (which Chrome relies on) is not up to date. I assume you're running Windows XP? If so, the following link describes how to update it:

Windows root certificate program members
Download Update for Root Certificates For Windows XP [December 2012] (KB931125) from Official Microsoft Download Center

Our local newspaper site has this problem. I contacted them and someone answered saying that it was due to their contractors and maybe there are more then 1 of them. My comment back was that they should fix this but still no fix.

I just went to those sites using Chrome on my computer, and did not encounter the error. I noticed that their SSL certificates were issued in June and August of this year.

I suspect that your Windows certificate store (which Chrome relies on) is not up to date. I assume you're running Windows XP? If so, the following link describes how to update it:

Windows root certificate program members
Download Update for Root Certificates For Windows XP [December 2012] (KB931125) from Official Microsoft Download Center

Again, thanks for the info......actually I'm running Mac OS X v 10.56.. so
I guess I'll have to find the equiv of your fix for the Mac.

Back
Top Bottom