Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Re: The speech - "The New Way Forward "--by President Bush
Old 01-16-2007, 09:45 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just a note: Because oil is an incredibly fungible asset, where we get ours from really doesn't matter a whole lot. Europe buys a lot of their oil from the ME. If that oil were unavailabe, they'd be buying up the stuff we normally get from Venezuela and Mexico. US domestically produced oil would go through the roof in price if ME oil becomes short in supply. That's why the talk of "reducing our dependence on Middle East oil" is more marketing than fact: Even if the US produced all the oil we need, as long as others need ME oil (and China is going to need a LOT) then the cost of US oil will jump whenever there's trouble in the ME. Our economy will be linked to the ME as long as we use a lot of petroleum and as long as they pump a lot of it out of the ground, even if we don't buy a drop from them.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2007, 09:51 PM   #82
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem

Just a note: Because oil is an incredibly fungible asset, where we get ours from really doesn't matter a whole lot.

Our economy will be linked to the ME as long as we use a lot of petroleum and as long as they pump a lot of it out of the ground, even if we don't buy a drop from them.
Very true, it cuts both ways. - ERD50
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 07:58 AM   #83
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50
Well, a *lot* of the oil we use comes from the mid-east, but not most of it:
Lets have a look at the top 15 places we get our oil... (thousand barrels per day)
CANADA 2,065
MEXICO 1,462
SAUDI ARABIA 1,444
VENEZUELA 1,069
NIGERIA 919
IRAQ 589
ANGOLA 505
ALGERIA 253
KUWAIT 253
ECUADOR 243
BRAZIL 156
UNITED KINGDOM 119
CHAD 118
NORWAY 81
AZERBAIJAN 77

Hmm...Saudi Arabia, Iraq, Kuwait and plausibly a few other regional exporters might be effected by a shift in the region. Venezuelas hating our guys right now.

I'm sort of doubting that we'll see a big step up from Norway and Azerbaijan.

Last year gas supplies tightened up and prices shot through the roof over some fairly minor supply and refining problems.

What do you think happens when 3-5 of the top 10 suppliers shut off the spigot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline
Super -- we are a nation of thieves and murderers who will take anything we want any time we want it.

And we wonder why they're pissed...
Well hey, dont shoot the messenger. We saw an unstable situation and couldnt predict the results so decided to stick our nose in and hope to improve the predictability. In general, looks like a piss poor job of doing that in the short or long term.

But yeah, we killed and stole to suit our own needs. Shine that turd any way that helps ya sleep at night.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 08:02 AM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute 'n Fuzzy Bunny
We saw an unstable situation and couldnt predict the results so decided to stick our nose in and hope to improve the predictability.
Umm, you know, it is really hard to actually back that up. Say what you like about Saddam's regime (dictatorial, brutal, oppressive, kleptocratic all come to mind), but unstable doesn't exactly leap to the top of the list.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 12:31 PM   #85
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345
Say what you like about Saddam's regime (dictatorial, brutal, oppressive, kleptocratic all come to mind), but unstable doesn't exactly leap to the top of the list.
Yeah, he was doing all right until he accidentally ended up in Kuwait...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 12:44 PM   #86
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Ancient history. I was talking about the decade or so of more-or-less successful containment, not unlike what was done with other roguee regimes (Cuba, N Korea, Iran, etc.) until dunce-boy Georgie decided it would be a jolly idea to throw rocks at the hornets' nests.

- George Orwell

Old 01-17-2007, 01:51 PM   #87
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
He didn't have GPS.................

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 02:03 PM   #88
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Ancient history. I was talking about the decade or so of more-or-less successful containment, not unlike what was done with other roguee regimes (Cuba, N Korea, Iran, etc.) until dunce-boy Georgie decided it would be a jolly idea to throw rocks at the hornets' nests.
I guess it was better to drop bombs on most days rather than deal with the situation and enforce sanctions he agreed to. The only reason it seem "more or less successful" was because the press didn't feel it was newsworthy to report that we were still dropping bombs almost daily.
Old 01-17-2007, 02:23 PM   #89
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire
I guess it was better to drop bombs on most days rather than deal with the situation and enforce sanctions he agreed to. The only reason it seem "more or less successful" was because the press didn't feel it was newsworthy to report that we were still dropping bombs almost daily.
Tell me, how many US soldiers were killed, per month, during the time of "dropping bombs almost daily?" How many civilians were killed per month? How many billion dollars per month did it cost?

Yeah, yeah, it was a terrible policy...

- George Orwell

Old 01-17-2007, 04:02 PM   #90

Debating military action with someone who feels nothing is worth fighting for, is like explaining the usefulness of a knife to a dog.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:44 PM   #91
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lets-retire
Debating military action with someone who feels nothing is worth fighting for, is like explaining the usefulness of a knife to a dog.
Who exactly are you attacking here ? Are you familiar with the "quote" button
that can be used when replying to an email ?

JohnEyles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 09:13 PM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Tell me, how many US soldiers were killed, per month, during the time of "dropping bombs almost daily?" How many civilians were killed per month? How many billion dollars per month did it cost?

Yeah, yeah, it was a terrible policy...
Okay, heres a factoid:

6000 to 7000 Iraqi children were dying each month before the war due to economic conditions under Saddam (Source: Dennis Halliday, former United Nations Humanitarian Coordinator, (New York Times 1/3/99). Iraq was permittted to sell more than enough oil to alleviate this suffering, but by now everyone should be very familiar with where that money went--and it wasn't for food. Now, add in the number of adults who were dying due to economic conditions. Then, add in the number executed by the Saddam's thugs. Then, add in the marsh Arabs killed by Saddam's deliberate water diversion projects. Its a big number. Bigger than today's Iraqi death rate from the bombings.

A freely elected parliament and prime minister--when was that going to happen under Saddam?

The present situation probably seems worse for Iraqis than the good old days you harken for because the press announces every carbombing. Unfortunately, CNN wasn't reporting hourly on the starving/tortured Iraqis. CNN had cut a deal with Saddam to censor their reports--remember?

samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 11:38 PM   #93
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Do you really believe that the US will be able to destroy this enemy by increasing the number of troops in Iraq? Have you thought through that scenario and considered the fact that there are other Islamic states in the region? Or is it your plan for the US to bomb the entire mid-east back to the stone age?
Quote:
Have you considered the consequencies of doing "nothing" ... imagine daily suicide bombings in the streets of US cities. Not pretty ... think Israel.

It's like an ant/bee infestation. We've been hunting individuals for decades (WTC first bombing, Cole bombing, countless embassy bombings). But the swarm will continue to grow until the nest is sprayed. You might fool yourself into thinking you've sovled it (Clinton) by catching a couple; but the problem festers. Deal with it now or it's a bigger problem later. We have not had a "problem" here in the US for 5+ years because the infestation is finally being dealt with.
I think the real brain burner is whether trying to do something over there is causing the problem. We shouldn't've gone/invaded Iraq in the first place. But, now that we're there, the people that aren't listening (terrorists/nationalists/etc.) have to be wiped off the face of the earth if we want to "win". There is no convincing them that we're going to "fix things" because they don't like our "fix".

So, if we want the clock to run our way, we have to put our gears in the sucker.

All in all, I'm pretty sure we don't have the answer or the correct "fix". Applying our solution to "their problem", the one that we created by invading/creating a power vacuum, is not going to work until we remove the corruption, anti-American sentiment, and the like. That means a lot of dead terrorists and a lot of dead others that just want the power. It's like getting rid of crooked Iraqi cops. It's pretty difficult to do (and maintain a functioning force) if 3/4 of the organization is crooked.

-CC
Old 01-18-2007, 01:54 AM   #94

samclem, your arguments make some sense, but the situation you describe holds for a goodly number of other nasty regimes. The question remains: why did it HAVE to be Iraq, RIGHT THEN, at all costs, when Afghanistan and the question of bin Laden were, and remain, unresolved? Why did the 'evidence' have to be "sexed up"?

More to the point of the topic, why after 4 years does the "new way forward" look so similar to the 'old' way forward? Hubris, arrogance, and incompetency.

After 4 years, do we have more US folks who can speak and read the language? (No.) Can we now tell Sunni from Shiite? (No.) The Republicans are howling now about the Dem's threat to cut off funding, but the Republicans found it pretty easy to vote against funds for Clinton's military action in Somalia.
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 06:35 AM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Meh, I don't buy your numbers, Sam, and we will probably never know, just like we won't ever know for sure what the total body count is in the current mess (sites like http://www.iraqbodycount.net/ are probably no more than a shot in the dark). But it seems safe to say that we have not made things better despits splilling much blood and treasure, and the possibility of things becoming more unglued is a lot higher now than it was in 2000.

- George Orwell

Old 01-18-2007, 06:40 AM   #96
gone traveling

Quote:
Meh, I don't buy your numbers, Sam, and we will probably never know, just like we won't ever know for sure what the total body count is in the current mess (sites like http://www.iraqbodycount.net/ are probably no more than a shot in the dark). But it seems safe to say that we have not made things better despits splilling much blood and treasure, and the possibility of things becoming more unglued is a lot higher now than it was in 2000.
Body count??

Bin Laden and al Zwahiri are not in them!

Bottom line Bush attacked Iraq because HE COULD! Period.

Now the situation is a mess, I could have told you it would become one 5 years ago. I was telling everyone it was a mistake to go into Iraq but my Republican relatives would shout me down.

oh well the world is efed up and quite frankly having Ered makes all the BS much more manageable.

Hey that nuclear midnight clock was move 2 mins closer to midnight yesterday!

Cheers, its almost OVER!!!

dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 02:04 PM   #97
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I guess that's a compliment to the guys maintaining the no-fly zones, but it sure cost a lot of personnel, machinery, & fuel.

I don't think the oil-for-food agreement was working any better in Iraq than any other programs were working in North Korea or Cuba, either. North Korea got their butts kicked out of the South, Cuba got kicked out of Grenada, and the tradition continues...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote