Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-25-2018, 07:34 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Then you would like mine. Very dark, with dried apricots, raisins, cranberries, pecans, and home-candied citrus peel. Takes three days to do everything involved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post

I personally like fruit cakes especially dark ones with lots of fruit.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-25-2018, 08:31 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

First, I am very impressed by Ray's tenacity.

Second, I am very odd about gifts. If it is practical, it will not be accepted from DH, as a Gift. A pan would be considered a kitchen appliance for the home.

BTW, that does not mean it has to be expensive, for me it is really is the thought that counts. A handwritten letter is my favorite gift. Perfume is acceptable, but DH is required to go to the store and smell the perfume to make sure that HE likes it. (After all, I'm not wearing it to repulse DH.)

We do give the kiddos practical gifts. Good hiking boots for example. This year the married kiddos got highly rated (deeply discounted of course) rice cookers.

DH varies about what he wants and does accept practical gifts.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:46 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

DH and I don’t buy each other Xmas or birthday gifts.

We spontaneously buy each other things during the year, but they aren’t wrapped.
Old 11-25-2018, 09:01 AM   #24

DW is buying me two dental implants. Very festive. I plan to buy her high end lens for her cataract surgery. Not entirely sure what they are or how much they cost. Aging process.

Plus two pair of prescription glasses for me. Not to mention the new ipad, cell phone, camera, some Xmas toys for the grandchildren and birthday gift for DW.

Son comes home to visit from graduate school so there will be a cheque to help him out financially.

That is before we get to Xmas gifts for each of our son and daughter.

I don't want or need any gifts. I tell them all simply to make a donation to the food bank. Easy for them, good for me. Humbug!
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 09:51 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

I like Santa Claus presents for little kids and a wrapped gift for Christmas morning for the not so littles. We give enough $ to DH’s farming community home town for a low-income kid to go Christmas shopping (run by the school nurses and volunteers) and that takes care of the Christmas spirit for me.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:18 AM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
DW is buying me two dental implants. Very festive.
The winner!
misshathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 11:32 AM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

This year I am buying toys and donating to Salvation Army.
The toys will go into a gift bag so the staff don't have to go to the extra step of wrapping them but so they can see what the toys are and distribute accordingly by age.

broadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 11:37 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Wow.... those are expensive fruit cakes !

I personally like fruit cakes ..........
I do too! Their posts are often very interesting and informative. And plenty of them here on this site!
Old 11-25-2018, 12:15 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

We stopped giving gifts to each other and most friends about 10 years ago. No one needs more stuff. I give a check to each of the kids. We have no grandchildren. I still buy gifts for 3 people. We got rid of most of the decorations. We have a foot tall tree and a few decorations. We host a meal on Xmas day for family and friends.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 12:30 PM   #30

We don’t do Christmas like we used to when my husband was still alive. We used to get together with my husband’s side of the family and go way overboard with gifts and food. Now it’s just my daughter and her family that I’m with at Christmas. We don’t go overboard anymore. Everything is very simple. Even Santa has been eliminated and that’s a little disappointing to me.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 02:36 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
DW is buying me two dental implants. Very festive. I plan to buy her high end lens for her cataract surgery. Not entirely sure what they are or how much they cost. Aging process.

Plus two pair of prescription glasses for me. Not to mention the new ipad, cell phone, camera, some Xmas toys for the grandchildren and birthday gift for DW.

Son comes home to visit from graduate school so there will be a cheque to help him out financially.

That is before we get to Xmas gifts for each of our son and daughter.

I don't want or need any gifts. I tell them all simply to make a donation to the food bank. Easy for them, good for me. Humbug!

I had one installed ~5 years ago. Std lens was a grand. Fancy inter-ocular one was $1600. Insurance covered the first $1K and the six extra Benjamins were on me for the upgrade. Worth if for me.
Old 11-25-2018, 02:50 PM   #32

Fall till the new year are always spendy. Taxes, Christmas, charity giving and all that good stuff.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2018, 04:20 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

When we moved into the motorhome full-time we told family that we didn't have room for anymore stuff, and suggested that consumables, especially wine or chocolate, would be most appreciated, or gift cards to places like Amazon or Whole Foods. Our extended family really toned down the Xmas gift giving which was a huge relief.

But now we have very young nephews who visit for Xmas, so lots of presents under the tree. The adults are still happy usually trading Amazon gift certificates or something very small.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:19 PM   #34
gone traveling

One year my dear husband received a flood light bulb from Santa. Then he said Santa should have brought a ladder! A ladder appeared for Valentine’s Day.
michelek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 08:34 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
$400 bucks for Wagyu and $300 for Cognac so far. Me thinks a few hundred for Caviar will be in order.
Snake River Farms had a BOGO deal going today for Cyber Monday.
Cassius King is offline   Reply With Quote