The ‘spendy’ time of the year

This year I am buying toys and donating to Salvation Army.
The toys will go into a gift bag so the staff don't have to go to the extra step of wrapping them but so they can see what the toys are and distribute accordingly by age.

Wow.... those are expensive fruit cakes !

I personally like fruit cakes ..........

I do too! Their posts are often very interesting and informative. And plenty of them here on this site!

Last edited:
We stopped giving gifts to each other and most friends about 10 years ago. No one needs more stuff. I give a check to each of the kids. We have no grandchildren. I still buy gifts for 3 people. We got rid of most of the decorations. We have a foot tall tree and a few decorations. We host a meal on Xmas day for family and friends.

We don’t do Christmas like we used to when my husband was still alive. We used to get together with my husband’s side of the family and go way overboard with gifts and food. Now it’s just my daughter and her family that I’m with at Christmas. We don’t go overboard anymore. Everything is very simple. Even Santa has been eliminated and that’s a little disappointing to me.

DW is buying me two dental implants. Very festive. I plan to buy her high end lens for her cataract surgery. Not entirely sure what they are or how much they cost. Aging process.

Plus two pair of prescription glasses for me. Not to mention the new ipad, cell phone, camera, some Xmas toys for the grandchildren and birthday gift for DW.

Son comes home to visit from graduate school so there will be a cheque to help him out financially.

That is before we get to Xmas gifts for each of our son and daughter.

I don't want or need any gifts. I tell them all simply to make a donation to the food bank. Easy for them, good for me. Humbug!

I had one installed ~5 years ago. Std lens was a grand. Fancy inter-ocular one was $1600. Insurance covered the first $1K and the six extra Benjamins were on me for the upgrade. Worth if for me.

Fall till the new year are always spendy. Taxes, Christmas, charity giving and all that good stuff.

When we moved into the motorhome full-time we told family that we didn't have room for anymore stuff, and suggested that consumables, especially wine or chocolate, would be most appreciated, or gift cards to places like Amazon or Whole Foods. Our extended family really toned down the Xmas gift giving which was a huge relief.

But now we have very young nephews who visit for Xmas, so lots of presents under the tree. The adults are still happy usually trading Amazon gift certificates or something very small.

One year my dear husband received a flood light bulb from Santa. Then he said Santa should have brought a ladder! A ladder appeared for Valentine’s Day.

Back
Top Bottom