The staff of life

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
That is even more funny than usual considering my ethnic ancestry.

Yeah, I caught that too...:LOL:
I have a bundt pan of my very own. Must be the other half of the ancestry that bought it as the Greek side would never purchase one, obviously...:rolleyes::LOL:

By the way, I, for one, really appreciate these bread recipes. I don't have the ambition of a RonBoyd to make bread every morning, but I would like to make bread occasionally if it took no more work than these recipes.

OK, we just finished late lunch and ate the beer bread. It was very easy and was done in exactly 1 hour. But, I used Guinness and didn't like the flavor. DH and DS loved the bread but they love Guinness. Next time I might try a medium beer like Sam Adams and see what that's like. I love experimenting.

OK, we just finished late lunch and ate the beer bread. It was very easy and was done in exactly 1 hour. But, I used Guinness and didn't like the flavor. DH and DS loved the bread but they love Guinness. Next time I might try a medium beer like Sam Adams and see what that's like. I love experimenting.

You *might* want to consider something other than Sam Adams. SA is on the hoppy side, and sometimes hops just do not taste good in baked goods, they just taste grassy/bitter. Not that SA is all that hoppy, but it *might* be too much for a bread.

-ERD50

I hope someone suggests a good beer for bread then. I plan on trying this, too.
Frankly, I have a huge allergy to alcohol, but do like one Sam Adams which I can chug down without barfing. Good beer to me.
So, what's a good beer to use for bread then:confused:?

Beers....

I used Miller Lite (had some left from company and DH won't drink it...) and the bread was very light and sweet. I liked it. I also used Ziegenbock and it was good with a more complex flavor. I agree that the hoppy beers lend a bitter taste to it. So I vote for any lighter beer, Budweiser, Lite etc or Ziegenbock.
2fer

I hope someone suggests a good beer for bread then. I plan on trying this, too.
Frankly, I have a huge allergy to alcohol, but do like one Sam Adams which I can chug down without barfing. Good beer to me.
So, what's a good beer to use for bread then:confused:?

I'd agree with two4the road, if something like Guinness is not to your liking, then a mild, kinda blah beer (something I typically would not drink, like the Bud, Miller, Coors style) could be just the thing for a beer bread. You definitely can go more flavorful, but avoid noticeable hops. The bock that two4the road mentioned would be worth trying, an a Vienna lager might be nice, and Negra Modelo is actually a decent example, and widely available.

BTW, I doubt that your allergy is really to alcohol - a Sam Adams Boston Lager is at least as strong in alc % as your typical beer served in the US, and probably a bit stronger than most. Must be something else, the type of hops (unlikely), wheat, corn, rice (typical additions to American mass produced beer, while I think Sam Adams is 100% Barley).

You probably have a homebrew store near you - ask for 1/2 pound of Crystal Malt (and have them grind it, if it is already ground find out if it is fresh, or taste it for staleness). A low number is good ( 20,40, maybe 60 - the larger the number the darker the roast), and add 1/4 or 1/2 cup to your bread recipe. Mmmmmm. Seal/freeze the rest.

-ERD50

Last edited:
A very very smooth, non-bitter dark beer - Negra Modelo

Has a deep malt flavor which you don't get with the yellow beers.

Audrey

In honor of St.Patrick's day I made the beer bread . It was simple and will go perfectly with our cornedbeef & cabbage .

This is not from me... but my sister worked at a bakery when she was young and going to college...

But when we go to visit, she has her own 'bisquick' like stuff already mixed.. all she does is add water (or something)... and plops it on a pan and cooks in the little oven... I am amazed and having fresh baked biscuit when I go to visit... and I swear, it is ten minutes or so from start to finish... that is from pulling out her mix to eating...

I used Miller Lite (had some left from company and DH won't drink it...) and the bread was very light and sweet. I liked it. I also used Ziegenbock and it was good with a more complex flavor. I agree that the hoppy beers lend a bitter taste to it. So I vote for any lighter beer, Budweiser, Lite etc or Ziegenbock.
2fer

I used Coors light and the bread was perfect . What an easy bread ! Thanks for the recipe !

BTW, I doubt that your allergy is really to alcohol - a Sam Adams Boston Lager is at least as strong in alc % as your typical beer served in the US, and probably a bit stronger than most. Must be something else, the type of hops (unlikely), wheat, corn, rice (typical additions to American mass produced beer, while I think Sam Adams is 100% Barley).

-ERD50[/QUOTE]

All I know is drink #1--whether beer or Margharita or some other sissy drink--I'm fine; drink #2 comes with a nausea chaser, hot flashes, diarrhea, light headedness--and I'm not Asian. I've thrown up on some of the finest streets of America, so I've given up even attempting to get past drink #1 since my early 20's.:blush:

However, I, for one, am thrilled Calmloki put this post up. You'll find me in the kitchen baking bread! This is a great post!!! Thanks!!!!!:D

All I know is drink #1--whether beer or Margharita or some other sissy drink--I'm fine; drink #2 comes with a a nausea chaser, hot flashes, diarrhea, light headedness--and I'm not Asian. I've thrown up on some of the finest streets of America, so I've given up even attempting to get past drink #1 in my early 20's.:blush:

However, I, for one, am thrilled Calmloki put this post up. You'll find me in the kitchen baking bread! This is a great post!!! Thanks!!!!!:D
Old Milwaukee makes a pretty good NA beer with only 58 calories per 12 oz can. :D
Labatt Blue NA is also very good, if you can get it locally.

Just back from the store with regular flour, self rising flour, and a six pack of MGD - if the BIL doesn't make it disappear tonight I'm baking some beer bread tomorrow - methinks I can go through some flour pretty quickly here in the near future.... Oh - also got a jar of salted shelled sunflower seeds that seem like they would go well in a loaf.

All I know is drink #1--whether beer or Margharita or some other sissy drink--I'm fine; drink #2 comes with a a nausea chaser, hot flashes, diarrhea, light headedness--.... so I've given up even attempting to get past drink #1 in my early 20's.:blush:

Ahhh, OK - I thought you were saying that you could drink #1 Sam Adams, but #1 of other beers made you sick. But it is drink #2 that is the problem - seems odd, but you know your limits, so you're good!

-ERD50

News to me - there is a thing called "bread flour". Turns out that it absorbs more water and makes a better, taller loaf than regular flour. The increased gluten in bread flour makes for a bread that holds together and is less crumbly. Bought a $5 set of plastic storage units at Wallymart - wanted something square-ish and a certain height to maximize room in our frig. The bread dough can be kept for days in the frig, getting better with time, until you want to use it. - also easier to work with cold. Learned about "cloaking", which is bringing the edges of the dough around to the bottom to leave a smooth upper surface. Found that you can make any size loaf you want - Last time I took 1/2 the dough and pressed it onto a plate with shredded cheese, then folded the dough over the cheese for the final rise - the other 1/2 I added a handful of walnut chunks - they slice just fine with a bread knife. Summer reached Oregon, so I tried baking in the barbecue - turned out ok, but this guy's method is better: YouTube - Cast iron pot-baked peasant loaf: outside, on the grill! NEW VIDEO

Back
Top Bottom