The Stoicism Thread

sengsational

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
I've been reading and watching things about Stoicism in the past year or so and have often thought about starting a Stoicism thread here. I'm finally doing it. I think quite a few of us are natural stoics (I wonder what Myers-Briggs type Seneca was, hehe!)

Anyway, I thought I'd start this thread with ramble / "book report" based on William B. Irvine's book "The Stoic Challenge." The book is "...an exercise in what might be thought of as twenty-first-century Stoicisim." Irvine starts with details from Greek and Roman Stoic philosophers and adds what we 'know' from modern psychology, for the purpose of living a better life.

One thing I was surprised to learn is that the original Stoic philosophers were not "stoic" in the way we think of the term (emotionless). Irvine says that they only tried to limit negative emotion, but positive emotion was fine (as long as one wasn't too attached to it).

An idea Irvine presents that I found interesting is that our subconcious self pulls a lot of tricks on us, and so it's only fair that we respond with tricks of our own. And the main trick is "negative visualization". This will sound to the uninitiated as a way to make yourself miserable, rather than more resilient, because what the technique is to think about how bad a situation could be. But you don't dwell on it. You imagine a bad thing, then you pop into reality and are thankful that the bad thing isn't reality.

Much of the book concerns setbacks and how we typically deal with them. Your choice of the framing of a setback can make all the difference for how it affects you. The "Blame Frame", where some external thing, often a person, gets blamed for the setback you experience. That's setting you up for more suffering because not only must you deal with the setback, but also you deal with the emotional turmoil what that person "did to you". Irvine goes on to say the the default response, that of being a victim, is aided by psychologists and politicians, but it's a step you can skip. He says go straight to "acceptance" rather than grind through the first four steps (denial, anger, bargaining, and depression). He doesn't all them "snowflakes", but Irvine says that protecting kids from all obstacles, we're making it harder for them when they get out on their own due to lack of practice being resilient.

So then we get practical advice for how to manage setbacks: pretend it's a game. The author talks about imaginary "stoic gods" that set-up this situation to snag him. Then he uses the stuff that makes us human (logic, smarts, control of our emotions) to puzzle the best way out of the mess. You get two grades on each encounter with difficulty: 1) how well you managed your emotions, and 2) how well you worked-around the problem. You got angry, blamed someone, and because of your high emotions, you did something to make things worse. That would earn two "F's", which is the often ones default behaviour. But what if you got two "A's"? A setback could be a source of pride! The primary duty when encountering an obstacle is to find a way to manage emotions, and the book mentions it's not putting a lid on hot a boiling caldron, but rather techniques to keep the pot from boiling in the first place. There are various "framing techniques" and also the ubiquitous counting to ten and framing the situation as a test of our resilience, all of which will put our higher mind into gear to keep the lizard brain from taking over.

One big reason for me writing this book report is so I could talk about something I've been attracted to, but didn't know what to call it. But now I know that it's called "Stoic adventure travel". I put myself into situations where I'm likely to have to "think on my feet". The specific setbacks can't be known, or it wouldn't count. But if you set out on a 1200km journey across a country where you don't speak the language riding on a tiny, unreliable vehicle, yeah, you're likely going to have some things to deal with. But trying anything new, where you might encounter less than comfortable results can qualify as, what Irvine calls "practicing for the Stoic test." And along with that practice, you might choose an activity that qualifies as "toughness training", which is expanding your comfort zone. I know when I'm riding, I might be cold, wet, hot, thirsty, hungry, etc. But when I'm on an adventure, none of those things get to me. And I find when I get home, I'm less likely to be bothered by those things; these engineered stressors make life better. Here's a youtube video, not about an adventure I've undertaken, but of what the speaker calls "Planned Grit":

The last chapter in the book is about death. And we learn that negative visualization doesn't work for that (read the book if you want the explanation for that, but I'll say non-existance is hard to contemplate). The point here is to bring up the idea of "last-time meditation", covered in that chapter. Maybe this will be the last time you read a post on e-r.org. I hope not, but there are plenty of things you've already done for the last time. Occasionally thinking about this will give you an appreciation for the here and now. Another technique is "prospective restrospection", where you imagine a future self pining for the situation you find yourself in, for instance you walk through the parking lot to see in the distance someone smash your car and drive off. Don't want to re-live that? What if your future self was blind and in a wheel chair? Might be nice to have a nice stroll in a parking lot! We are reminded that the Stoics didn't suggest that dwelling on these kinds of things is the right approach, but occasional, brief visits with these kinds of thoughts can be revitalizing.

So that's my ramble. I've also read Irvine's "A Guide to the Good Life", which is a longer read than this book and dwells more on the specific historical figures from Greece and Rome. Both are good, but "The Stoic Challenge" gets to the heart of what you can do to have a better life (the sub title is "A Philosopher's Guide to Becoming Tougher, Calmer, and More Reslient). That seems like a better life to me, yes?

It's a popular subject on Youtube. From what I've gleaned, it seems like an early version of what I know as cognitive therapy -- that is, working with your thoughts, beliefs, expectations, etc., to help produce a happier and less painful/stressful life.

Interesting topic; Stoic philosophy is an interest of mine as well. I started with reading a few modern authors explaining concepts in easy to understand language, but have recently gone looking for good translations of classic works. I found a lot to like in Marcus Aurelius’s Meditations, and I think Seneca’s On the Shortness of Life is something I would reread regularly. The Enchiridion is on my list to read this year. I just downloaded, but haven’t started, The Practicing Stoic by Ward Farnsworth which looks like it might be a helpful reference with some of the concepts. What appeals to me most about this philosophy is that it really does help to keep all the day to day stuff of life in perspective. I wish I’d known more about this way of thinking earlier in life; it would have helped me deal with a lot of angsty situations with more equanimity.

I have made practical use (in commuting) of Marcus Aurelius's meditation about telling yourself every day you will meet with stupidity, selfishness, etcl, but to remind yourself it's in you as well.

And the most interesting (to me) aphorism of Marcus Aurelius, which I do not yet fully understand or accept is:
"Loss Is nothing else but change, and change is Nature’s delight."

But as for "negative visualization" I can never not think of Woody Allen's "On the Horrible and Miserable" in Annie Hall
:)

So then we get practical advice for how to manage setbacks: pretend it's a game. The author talks about imaginary "stoic gods" that set-up this situation to snag him.

sengsational, interesting thread. I guess one of my issues with stoicism is wondering whether it is mostly for those who are financially independent. I can imagine so many situations where one is trapped in poverty - or, formerly, servitude - and options are few to non-existent, and there is no way out. Every day you have to deny what you are feeling and try to be some image that others expect. Does stoicism in such a case just tell you to disregard your feelings? I remember one of the original stoics was a slave, can't remember which one. I'm sure this situation is dealt with within the philosophy, but I'm not really convinced that "I am the master of my fate, the captain of my soul" is reality-based. We can all think of examples.

Also, the philosophy seems opposed to much of modern psychological theory, which often tells us that our "negative emotions" are not to be disregarded. I'm not sure I agree with that either, again because of situations where we HAVE to disregard them.

Again, I'm sure there are answers within stoicism to these objections, as they are pretty basic. But it's hard for me to imagine going through life repeating to myself over and over "it doesn't matter, it's not real" even though I suppose it gets easier in time. (Hey, isn't that the premise of "The Matrix?" And I've heard that there is a cosmic argument to be made that none of this life is real.)

After my divorce, I dove into the ancient literature about the stoic philosophy of life. It helped boost my resilience, no doubt about it.

I believe Stoicism also inspired the Serenity Prayer in addition to cognitive behavior therapy. I have How to Be a Stoic (Massimo Pigliucci) in my TBR pile and fished it out now that there’s a chance to chat on it!

I always think of Stoicism as being a form of practical realism. And of course, not letting oneself be ruled by emotion.

One big reason for me writing this book report is so I could talk about something I've been attracted to, but didn't know what to call it. But now I know that it's called "Stoic adventure travel". I put myself into situations where I'm likely to have to "think on my feet". The specific setbacks can't be known, or it wouldn't count. But if you set out on a 1200km journey across a country where you don't speak the language riding on a tiny, unreliable vehicle, yeah, you're likely going to have some things to deal with. But trying anything new, where you might encounter less than comfortable results can qualify as, what Irvine calls "practicing for the Stoic test." And along with that practice, you might choose an activity that qualifies as "toughness training", which is expanding your comfort zone. I know when I'm riding, I might be cold, wet, hot, thirsty, hungry, etc. But when I'm on an adventure, none of those things get to me. And I find when I get home, I'm less likely to be bothered by those things; these engineered stressors make life better. Here's a youtube video, not about an adventure I've undertaken, but of what the speaker calls "Planned Grit":

I just watch the above travel video. It would also make a good post in the Travel subforum.

For those on this thread who might be interested, the Modern Stoicism website is running a free four week online course on Stoic Mindfulness and Resilience Training (SMRT) beginning Sunday May 10th. Enrollment is open. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post a link here (I am not affiliated with the site) but a quick search of any of the above terms should pull up info on the course.

Also I did recently finish the book "The Practicing Stoic" by Ward Farnsworth that I mentioned upthread, and I would recommend it as a well-organized intermediate level book on stoic concepts and practices.

Thanks, Zona. Just signed up for the online course. Looks very interesting and a good way to spend some of these hours at home.

Yes, thanks for pointing us to this course. I'm welcoming adding the structure of such a course to my daily routine.

Tom Wolfe wrote a novel that celebrates stoicism called "A Man in Full." I found it very enjoyable.

Ordered Seneca's Letters to a Stoic. I'm on a wisdom literature kick lately and thought the stoics would be a good addition.

You know you've written a good book (or letter, in this case) when people are still reading it two thousand years later.

I remember seeing Seneca’s statue in Córdoba Spain, not realizing he was from there. I didn’t realize he was a Stoic.

I remember thinking about walking where the original Stoics walked when I was in the ancient agora last year.

I remember thinking about walking where the original Stoics walked when I was in the ancient agora last year.

Great, ain't it? Every old place I go, Jerusalem being the pinnacle, I stop and "Wonder if......".

Is that what it was about? I guess I read it on a shallower level. Certain scenes stick out in my mind after all these years, and they aren't to do with stoicism.

Tom Wolfe wrote a novel that celebrates stoicism called "A Man in Full." I found it very enjoyable.

Letters from a Stoic, by Seneca, is very good so far. I've read about 20 pages and already encountered several ideas that have impacted me. For instance, he talks about the importance of sticking to one writer and really immersing yourself in his works, rather than reading a bit of this, a bit of that. He said the latter will lead to a desultory and scattered mind. He pegged me with that one. There is a bit more of an information glut in modern society, compared to the time he was writing (that's an understatement, ha), and so it's more challenging, but I think that's a very helpful idea: to avoid a "desultory" approach to learning, of which I am guilty, and instead focus in depth on a particular writer.

I like the style, too. There is a quality of nobility to it. Reminds me of reading Camus in my younger days. Camus isn't an ancient Greek, of course, but he was influenced by them and had a similar quality of nobility in his writing. It inspired me to be a better man at the time, and this sort of writing does the same now.

If you get it, be careful about the edition. Mine is not the best. It's a good translation, and that's the most important thing, but it is printed in tiny font, so I have to hold it 6 inches from my face to read it. It has no page numbers. On the back cover, it is labelled a novel, which it isn't, and has an "About the Author" section which is completely blank. Probably a rush job to cash in on the recent popularity of stoicism.

Desultory - what a great word, seems like something at the opposite end of intentional. That's really a great insight on volume vs depth of things. I had a friend that only watched a couple of movies a year because watching too many made them all run together and felt like a diluted mess to her. She was careful about what she chose to give her attention to and recalled all kinds of detail about the few she saw. Hmmmm.....

Yes. I can easily spend the whole day taking in a wealth of information, yet end the day feeling no wiser.

I misunderstood stoicism. I thought it was all about controlling your emotions through reason. That's a part of it, but it's also much more. It's philosophy in the original and best sense of the word -- grappling with the big questions of how to live, how to be a good/noble person, what the good life is, etc.

Apart from the wisdom he conveys, I find it elevating just to read Seneca. I also find myself wishing I'd had someone like him in my life, tutoring me, early on. What a blessing he must have been to the recipient of these letters.

Last edited:
I don’t know. The idea of “managing one’s emotions” is perilously close to ignoring them and fooling oneself in the process. The path I’m on is trying to experience them and seeing what information they have for me, on the premise that each emotion is both valid and temporary. To each their own path and YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom