Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-17-2011, 02:06 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I think men would prefer a 'Salty Day'. .....nachos, Salty Dog/Margarita and salt water taffy sex.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2011, 03:07 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
candy, electronics and sex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
In that order, or all at once?

JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:51 AM   #23

I remember "sweetest day" from the olden days; however, it must be something that is not relavent anymore. I have a desk calendar that has every celebrated day noted and nothing is mentioned about sweetest day. I was just in the gift store and bought a few birthday cards and don't remember seeing one card relative to sweetest day. Didn't know it was still celebrated.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 01:46 PM   #24

I'd never heard of it either. Perhaps I'm just cranky today but it sure sounds like a manufactured holiday like Valentine's Day to sell more cards in a slow season.

Unless, of course, the electronics and sex are for real....
Old 10-19-2011, 04:26 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
And please recommend a contingency plan for the inevitability of a prolonged power outtage...
Just hitch your "appliance" to Ha's rowing machine...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 04:51 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
There, there, dear, it's OK, he's means like your washing machine...
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 05:19 PM   #27

I think this "holiday" started here in Michigan...as a way to sell more candy. When DD went to school out west and mentioned the day to a new roommate, her reply was: "I didn't know you were Swedish!"
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:44 PM   #28

Has anyone ever heard of Sadie Hawkins Day? It was some day in October when the girls asked the boys to go out on a date. I think it was a notch below Sweetest Day and maybe one two notches below Groundhog's Day.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:56 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
Has anyone ever heard of Sadie Hawkins Day?
It sounded vaguely familiar, so I looked it up.
Quote:
In Li'l Abner, Sadie Hawkins was the daughter of one of Dogpatch's earliest settlers, Hekzebiah Hawkins. The "homeliest gal in all them hills", she grew frantic waiting for suitors to come a-courtin'. When she reached the age of 35, still a spinster, her father was even more frantic—about Sadie living at home for the rest of his life. In desperation, he called together all the unmarried men of Dogpatch and declared it "Sadie Hawkins Day". Specifically, a foot race was decreed, with Sadie in hot pursuit of the town's eligible bachelors—and matrimony as the consequence.
(See also: Leap year for discussion of a similar tradition of "allowing" women to propose marriage on February 29, which has also become unofficially known as Sadie Hawkins Day.)
Capp's creation captured the imagination of young people, particularly in high schools and on college campuses. In 1939, only two years after its inauguration, a double-page spread in Life magazine proclaimed, "On Sadie Hawkins Day, Girls Chase Boys in 201 Colleges" and printed pictures from Texas Wesleyan. Capp originally created it as a comic plot device, but by the early 1940s the comic strip event had swept the nation and acquired a life of its own. By 1952, Sadie Hawkins Day was reportedly celebrated at 40,000 known venues. It was a female-empowering rite long before the modern feminist movement gained prominence. It became a day-long event observed in Canada and in the United States on the Saturday that follows November 9th.
Sadie Hawkins Day - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 10-19-2011, 08:05 PM   #30

Thanks for that post Greg. In the back of my mind, I knew it had some ties to Dogpatch and Lil' Abner. I knew it was in the fall, sometime around Halloween. I remember in school, if you had a girlfriend, she would try to get to you first on that day so you would be "taken". No other girl could get to you. We had Sadie Hawkins dances back in those days in Ohio.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:46 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPatrick View Post
There, there, dear, it's OK, he's means like your washing machine...

You guys are in tune with my sense of humor. Take a "10" each.