Join Early Retirement Today

The Tipping Point
Old 09-27-2012, 04:37 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

The Tipping Point

I think I've reached it. I have been saying all along that I could RE anytime starting this January. I think I have reached the point with my j*b that I'm ready to play the Johnny Paycheck song. I am excited and scared at the same time.

Any words of encouragement out there? I'm afraid I will chicken out.......
MDJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2012, 05:23 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDJO View Post
I think I've reached it. I have been saying all along that I could RE anytime starting this January. I think I have reached the point with my j*b that I'm ready to play the Johnny Paycheck song. I am excited and scared at the same time.

It gets even better after you forget everyone's names that used to seem so damn important.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
gone traveling

+1 Travelover - I retired 6 months ago but so far no regrets
HighRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
It gets even better after you forget everyone's names that used to seem so damn important.
I forgot everyones names even before I retired. That must be a sure sign I waited too long to pull the plug.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:30 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

In a few months, you'll be wondering what took yourself so long to make the leap of faith.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:22 PM   #6

Tomorrow marks 2 years from my last day at w*rk. I have not regretted my decision for one nanosecond during that time. I still haven't figured out how I ever had time to w*rk. There is more than enough to do every day. And a 95% reduction in stress, which makes everything even better.
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:40 PM   #7

Come on in. The water's nice.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:43 AM   #8

What does this expression mean please ? Never heard it before
Quote:
... play the Johnny Paycheck song.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 01:22 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

MDJO, your post reminds me of how I was feeling around this time in 2008 as the final pieces of my ER plan fell into place, especially the very last piece at the end of September. It was like a bell went off in my head which told me, "NOW you can make the leap!" I ran the numbers over and over and over, scanning them every day to make sure I could DO this as I wrote up my brief resignation letter, presenting it to my boss on the afternoon of September 30th, 2008 [EDIT - with an actual separation date of October 31, 2008], a day to remember......
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 02:36 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgyn65 View Post
What does this expression mean please ? Never heard it before
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:47 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I know how you feel as I finally had it and announced my retirement almost two weeks ago. I have two work days left. Have been feeling better ever since the announcement. If fact as I wrote my resignation I could feel the relief. Looking forward to the land of no Mondays!!!
Trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:40 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

It is scary, but only because it is unfamiliar territory. Best thing I ever did.
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
+1
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 04:35 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Its been 4 months and it seems like 4 years. Don't look back!!!
Gatordoc50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAustin View Post
Tomorrow marks 2 years from my last day at w*rk. I have not regretted my decision for one nanosecond during that time. I still haven't figured out how I ever had time to w*rk. There is more than enough to do every day. And a 95% reduction in stress, which makes everything even better.
+1. If you have the financial stuff taken care of, and you have thought about how you will spend your time in retirement, by all means do it. You only live once, and none of us are getting any younger. I've been retired for 2 1/2 years now, and I've loved every minute of it. I have plenty of interesting things to keep me occupied, my health is better than ever, and the stress is gone. It's a great life.....
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 06:59 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

MDJO, this JoeW here is feeling much like you. This Jan I get my only benefit, and that is to pay full price into MegaCo's health plan. Not cheap, but it is a good plan and has no restrictions.

2 years ago I really was hearing Johnny Paycheck singing. But in a twist of irony, the j*b has turned around and I'm actually enjoying it. With FI, I can actually smile at the craziness. I'm ironically more effective now.

Still want to RE, but taking this one step at a time as I wind down and figure out what I want to do in RE.

So, thanks for posting. I'm reading the same encouraging words above and trying to rid myself of lingering chicken too.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote