Join Early Retirement Today

"The Unit" on CBS TV
Old 10-16-2007, 07:05 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

"The Unit" on CBS TV

I haven't had a TV for about 5 years - I just got a tuner for my laptop.

I like "The Unit" on CBS - it shows the people who make this country secure and great.

I am humbled whenever I think about the people who serve in our armed services.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2007, 08:54 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Excellent show. Read the book "Inside Delta Force" by Eric Haney, which this show is based on.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 11:20 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post

I like "The Unit" on CBS - it shows the people who make this country secure and great.

I am humbled whenever I think about the people who serve in our armed services.
I don't like it much myself. It seems pretty formulaic and wooden to me.. To each his own though.
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:04 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dex View Post

What is that?
JustMeUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:13 AM   #5

Dh and I like that show, he likes any kind of war/battle show or movie. Tour of Duty back in the 90's was another favorite as well as China Beach.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:38 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, I dug Dana Delaney China Beach as well...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 08:20 AM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

I really liked the operational side of the show, but despised the relationship drama garbage they threw into it. I watched about half of the first season, but had to stop watching when they had the Colonel send in a particular Sargeant so he could get some alone time with the sargeant's wife. Turned my stomach.
ChemEng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 08:36 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

It is a David Mamet show and sometimes he puts in one of his stable of actors. The wife of the Colonel is one of them.

It is difficult to do dramas these days because of costs. That is why there are so many outside shots in the show - they are less expensive to produce when compared to reality shows.

ChemEng,
I understand what you are saying about the relationship stuff in the show. I think they do it to show what the challenges are of being in the service on family life and it is difficult to do a full hour of action.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:43 AM   #9

Think it's a crappy show, but a couple of the actors joined my dojo for a while and so I got to know them a bit. One married a friend who still trains. Very nice people. So different from their characters, makes me see how skilled they are at their profession.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:26 AM   #10

Not realistic as often times the good guys get killed in real life. But I guess it is OK for entertainment for those who have never experienced real life combat. And believe me, what you are seeing on "The Unit" isn't even close.
frayne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:37 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Yep, I'm watching for entertainment primarily. The one part that matched Haney's book very well was an episode last year where Brown had flashbacks to his training and selection into The Unit.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 12:25 PM   #12

Dh complains all the time about how they sugar coat things in shows like this, if he wants real world he goes to the history channel. He still finds it entertaining.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote