Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-10-2017, 09:53 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
I'm afraid if I buy a pair I get the one in 10 million that slipped by quality control.
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2017, 10:17 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
I'm afraid if I buy a pair I get the one in 10 million that slipped by quality control.
Right. It is scary. I'm also going to get a filter that I can put over my binoculars.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:48 AM   #23

When I was a kid, we used to overexpose a roll of film and get it developed. That gave us black negatives that we looked at the sun through (IIRC we used a couple of layers of them). Worked well for the couple of partial eclipses I saw back then. Wouldn't even know where to buy a roll of film today.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:09 PM   #24

We're going to visit our DS in NC and drive down to SC for the eclipse. Hopefully we can drive to a clear spot if the weather is bad.
Animorph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 03:06 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
Wow, that brings back childhood memories! Haven't seen that name in many years (been a while since I drove 70 west out of STL)
Glad you know the area. I would sent you the locale, but it is not mine to devulge. Not sure how many we will have, but on Memorial day the crowd normally tops 100. For this probably less. Not every one is retired, (but many of us are )
Old 03-10-2017, 03:11 PM   #26

Quote:
Note the free glasses are one to a person and still need a SASE ($0.48 stamp?).

I got 20 on line for about $1.10/pair. Including shipping. They are flimsy, cheap, one use things. But 20 bucks to help a group of folks ( and some young ones) see a once on a life time event...... PRICELESS.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:39 PM   #27

For those who haven't seen, here's a good link to a map:

USA - 2017 August 21 Total Solar Eclipse - Interactive Google Map - Xavier Jubier
Jerry1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 05:08 PM   #28

If I set up a regular video shooting camera, not still pics, video, will that capture the action? Will it burn out the camera somehow? Or will the image just not get captured?

And no, I will not be looking at any of the solar goings-on directly during that time. Just the surrounding landscape
Old 03-10-2017, 05:27 PM   #29

Quote:
If I set up a regular video shooting camera, not still pics, video, will that capture the action? Will it burn out the camera somehow? Or will the image just not get captured?

And no, I will not be looking at any of the solar goings-on directly during that time. Just the surrounding landscape
I think it will fry the camera. They use special lenses to do that type of photography.

As for looking at it, you can do it with special lens/glasses. I'm not sure if I'll get special glasses, but I have some lenses that go to a welding mask. They should be fine. Of course I'll verify before I do anything. Bottom line, I'm gong to get a look at it - safely.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:19 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
I think it will fry the camera. They use special lenses to do that type of photography.
I would think that in the case of olde fashioned photography but a digital camera that just prints files on a chip? Not arguing about it because it's not my technical bailiwick but the "frying the camera" principle doesn't seem like it would apply.

Quote:
As for looking at it, you can do it with special lens/glasses. I'm not sure if I'll get special glasses, but I have some lenses that go to a welding mask. They should be fine. Of course I'll verify before I do anything. Bottom line, I'm gong to get a look at it - safely.
I'll reiterate this just in case I can spook someone else:

Old 03-10-2017, 07:13 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Sounds cool! Everybody on the east coast, we should all meet up at Sarah's house in SC. She's right on the path for best viewing. August 21.

Hmmm...maybe somebody should let her know.
She already knows. Or, well, said something to me about watching it from her dock. I was lobbying to charter a yacht... but the captain I know down there didn't seem to jump on the idea.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:07 PM   #32

Deja vu! http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...7-a-83150.html

I booked a hotel in Casper WY only to have the hotel un-book me.

Now that I'm retired I might just look at the weather forecast a week ahead and point the truck in the direction of the clearest sky.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:03 PM   #33

Quote:
I would think that in the case of olde fashioned photography but a digital camera that just prints files on a chip? Not arguing about it because it's not my technical bailiwick but the "frying the camera" principle doesn't seem like it would apply.
You still have a lens concentrating the sun's energy onto the image sensor and I think it would reek havoc.

Not authoritative, but seems to confirm that without a proper filter damage will occur:

How to Photograph a Solar Eclipse from Nikon
Old 03-10-2017, 09:09 PM   #34

A small inexpensive refractor telescope can do a safe projection of the sun onto a white surface. The projection can be larger for easy viewing by a group. No special glasses needed.
homestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:21 PM   #35

Quote:
Steve has determined that the best place, in terms of potential cloud cover, is Madras, OR.
According to the Chamber of Commerce Bend gets 300 days of sunshine/yr. And with all the snow over the winter we used up all our cloudy days early this year. So August will be Good to Go
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:11 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead View Post
A small inexpensive refractor telescope can do a safe projection of the sun onto a white surface. The projection can be larger for easy viewing by a group. No special glasses needed.
I think you need a filter for doing that because otherwise, if you want to watch it from the beginning, you'll melt your telescope.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 10:57 AM   #37

Story in the local paper. 30,000 expected. bands, booths, herbalists (code word for marijuana)

woodstock for rednecks

30,000 people expected for solar eclipse party; Event planned for Big Summit Prairie

We’re providing an immersive environment for like-minded people to come and engage with each other,” he said. “We’re building a community where people can bring their own gifts and experiences and share them.”

For anyone who isn’t sure whether KoChen is describing a university career fair or a gathering where thousands of people and families, many of them naked, come to party, learn about herbalism, ritual performance, and yoga, and dance to more than 400 live bands and DJs, he added clarification.

“It’s a place for people to be themselves,” he said. “They can get weird.”
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:11 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
I think you need a filter for doing that because otherwise, if you want to watch it from the beginning, you'll melt your telescope.
I have done this , no filter needed using small refractor.
ASP: The Nearest Stars: A Guided Tour
homestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 11:19 AM   #39
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm not going anywhere to watch the solar eclipse. I know that there will be plenty of imagery and video of it available for FREE online, taken in places where there isn't any cloud cover.

I have quite an imagination to enhance the experience, so watching the video will suffice in my case.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 12:20 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I'm not going anywhere to watch the solar eclipse. I know that there will be plenty of imagery and video of it available for FREE online, taken in places where there isn't any cloud cover.

I have quite an imagination to enhance the experience, so watching the video will suffice in my case.
I am in the 90% zone where I live. I was going to call it even because I have been through 2 other , probably 70% or so, eclipses in my life and it was definitely noticeable and very spooky. But Since I need to drive barely an hour to 90 mins away to see 100% I plan on taking a drive.

I do not plan on going to a town with sponsored festivities. People will only ruin it. Simply driving somewhere south of I-80 and pulling over recording the experience is what I am planning on