Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-03-2018, 10:24 AM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I knew my youngest was never going to be a STEM major.

They're now at a private university paid for via an AROTC scholarship.

Our oldest started at uni also via the above, then re-applied and moved on to their service academy.

After doing this with both kids its clear there's lots of money courtesy of Uncle Sam (ROTC scholarships, GI Bill, Guard/Reserve educational benefits) out there to help pay for college.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2018, 04:53 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
Twenty years from now I expect my son to be working in an occupation/industry/specialty that does not even exist today.
That is quite likely. I started out as a police patrol officer and finished up as a computer forensic examiner, a job that of course did not exist, and few could have foreseen, in 1973.
Old 12-03-2018, 09:57 PM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Not everyone loves math and science. I think you need a balance between do what you love and the money will follow and doing something you hate. My engineer DH with a BA always made more money than I did with 2 masters and a PhD all in human services. When I worked helping people with disabilities return to work they would ask why we wouldn’t pay for any type of degree. Because you have to have a reasonable expectation of finding a job. We can’t waste the taxpayers money. We would try to help them find a balance.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 09:14 AM   #84
Recycles dryer sheets

It's a new world and not necessarily a better one in my opinion. And I often marvel at how there is always money for the "dole," but Social Security is going into the red. I won't paint all young people with the same brush though. I know several who are serious investors, good solid citizens, and genuinely good people. Which starts another discussion...is this sense of entitlement instilled by bad parenting, idiot college professors, government?
Caskem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 09:33 AM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Takers have always been out there, but before social media, they could only sound off to their immediate family and acquaintances.

Social media allow those kinds of people to feel like they are part of a huge affinity group, and therefore must have right on their side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caskem View Post
Iis this sense of entitlement instilled by bad parenting, idiot college professors, government?
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:34 AM   #86

Quote:
Which starts another discussion...is this sense of entitlement instilled by bad parenting, idiot college professors, government?
Bad parents and government have always been around, but now university students think it's okay to be a victim and to silence differing opinions rather than debate as was welcome in the past.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 11:51 AM   #87
gone traveling

Quote:
I often marvel at how there is always money for the "dole," but Social Security is going into the red.
You are confused. Social Security is not "going into the red".
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:29 PM   #88
Give me a forum ...

Rash generalizations are both rash and general...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 01:35 PM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Rash generalizations are both rash and general...
And generally give me a rash...
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 03:48 PM   #90
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
A classmate of my then 17 year old niece, told her I'm picking that school because they have a sport media/journalism degree and I want to be an anchor for ESPN...good luck with that one buddy...
Oddly enough, I have a cousin that is a well known, national sports anchor who is living the dream life. He knew what he wanted to do from an early age and made it happen. I also have a HS classmate that went for the same thing and has made it up through a regional level so far. Both knew what they wanted to do before college and went for it.

Of the only 2 people I've ever known pursue this field, both seem to have made it work so I'd say that it might not be that far fetched.
DFDubb is offline   Reply With Quote