Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-28-2018, 02:18 PM   #21
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I don’t agree with the concept of a “millennial mindset”.

I’ve seen plenty of entitlement expressed by people from every generation.
Bingo!

It's lazy thinking to believe all millennials have the same mindset or are "entitled". Just as it's foolish to believe all Boomers think or act the same.

We'd all be far better off abandoning this "generational war" nonsense and start treating individuals like individuals.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2018, 02:19 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
I've always liked being able to sleep indoors when I so desired, and also to ingest comestibles....therefore I did whatever was necessary to attain both.
+1

This Youtube clip from Mike Rowe is illuminating. There is reward and pride obtainable from doing hard work well even if it is "unfashionable"
It might "scar your soul" not to get to be an artiste but hard work is it's own reward in many ways (including, increasingly, monetarily).

Old 11-28-2018, 02:21 PM   #23
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
Who knows if Bill Gates really authored this but I found parts seemingly appropriate for the topic
It wasn't Bill Gates. https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/so...arn-in-school/

And now you know.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:27 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The comment about the BS jobs was annoying to me. Many people do these so called jobs so the author can have power, water, food a safe environment. Go out to eat in a restaurant is that a BS job somebody does so you can have a nice meal out?

A little air of superiority from people toward the people taking care of all the "BS" in the world so you can have a comfortable life.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The World Owes Me a Living
Old 11-28-2018, 02:36 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
If gates had written that it would read: Get born lucky and let The Government make you billionaire. Hey, worked for me!
It’s completely bogus. I went back and checked. It’s looks pretty fake since he doesn’t really talk in that way if you’ve read any of his interviews, etc..
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 03:09 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Agree. If there is a The World Owes me A Living" sentiment, it will not surprise to start seeing "The World Owes Me a Retirement" sentiment.

Universal income, here we come...
Old 11-28-2018, 03:56 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post
It’s completely bogus. I went back and checked. It’s looks pretty fake since he doesn’t really talk in that way if you’ve read any of his interviews, etc..
Yes that has been a known interweb fake for many years now. Like most quotations attributed to George Carlin and the one by (but not by) Lee Iacoconuts.
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 04:23 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

An observer as acute as Jeffrey Gundlach feels that we will come out of the next recession with some sort of "basic human income". I would not be surprised by this. In a democracy how do you get people to not vote to take more of your living if it appears better than theirs? Many people are violent, and there seems to be no love lost between the various groups. If enough people accept that the system holds attractive and reasonably likely benefits for them they have a reason to struggle on. Once that hope or faith is lost and given a modern viewpoint on morals it seems to me that things could get very bad very fast.

Ha
Old 11-28-2018, 04:26 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

When I was in college back in the 1980s, I remember a joke (might have been by Jackie Mason) about college degrees. It went something like this:

"People who get degrees in philosophy can't get jobs after graduation...……..but at least they know WHY!"
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 04:37 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

You asked "who knows" and snopes knows.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 05:36 PM   #31

Quote:

+1.

But in the name of naming and shaming, I'll offer this. Listening to some 30 something on the radidio complaining about her student debt of ~$150K. Her undergrad was in some obscure field of classic literature. Then, she polished that turd by immediately attending grad school for "history of classic literature ." So, she was eminently qualified as some sort of librarian? I'm not harshing on librarians, but I suspect the demand is low and the salary is commensurate with said demand. And, of course, her degrees were 100% student loans.

I'm fine with liberal arts degrees. But have a damn plan before going six figures in the hole while hanging out at Starbucks for six years or more.

She could have learned a lot from Mike Row.
Old 11-28-2018, 06:00 PM   #32
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
She could have learned a lot from Mike Row.
Yup.

She could have learned to spend a lot of time in theater and choir while in high school. She could learn to go to a community college, transfer to a 4-year college and then get a degree in communication studies.

And if her voice was good enough, she could land some jobs. Otherwise...
Old 11-28-2018, 06:03 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

From the article:

Quote:
... Arts degrees give students the skills to speak and buy them time – that most precious commodity – to work out what they want to say and how to say it. Studying Freud, or reading James Joyce or Toni Morrison for the first time, introduces students to ideas that challenge their intellectual preconceptions, as well as the consensus of the society around them. Maybe that’s why those in power try to marginalise arts degrees.
There's nothing wrong with studying Freud, or reading different authors, or do some painting, etc..., after you are done with tending to the farm animals, or after the harvest season and you are waiting for winter to arrive. People did that for centuries. They did not expect to be paid just to read and study.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:17 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
From the article:

There's nothing wrong with studying Freud, or reading different authors, or do some painting, etc..., after you are done with tending to the farm animals, or after the harvest season and you are waiting for winter to arrive. People did that for centuries. They did not expect to be paid just to read and study.
Well stated. Nothing wrong with pursuing knowledge of the humanities. But shelter, food, and safety should come first. And at one's own expense. I believe my contribution should be discretionary.... Happy to be taxed to send some deserving soul to attain an education that will provide sustenance. But to continue high school lounge debates? I'd prefer to opt out.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:29 PM   #35

Whatever attitude a person has will be shaped by the outside world if that person wants to succeed. I think any attitude of entitlement is fostered by the parents raising those kids. It comes from the need to protect. For the kids, it is a rude awakening if they are going to be truly independent. For me...I left home and went into the military. That was my rude awakening. My thinking cleared and I became successful in my own way.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:25 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
The thread title is certainly misleading, I don’t see that attitude expressed anywhere in the article.
Have to chuckle at your observation. It is very accurate.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:53 PM   #37
Full time employment: Posting here.

Newly minted librarians have to be up to snuff on technology, database access... The books are the last of their worries. Especially research librarians. Bit of a reader, I am, and always fond of the stewards.
indiajust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 10:34 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

We appreciate all the great musicians, actors and performers near us but there seems to be an abundance of them which pushes live event prices down. Sometimes I think there must be more performers than audience members in our area. We've stopped going into the city for plays lately because the regional playhouse, acting school and college productions closer to home are so good.

It doesn't seem fair that someone really talented who can sing, dance and act amazingly well makes less than a mediocre programmer with minimal experience but that seems to be the reality here - abundance of performers, shortage of tech workers and they get paid based on supply and demand.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 11:52 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Geeze, don't ruin a good rant thread with facts. This is another great opportunity for us to pat ourselves on the back.

[emoji23]
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 04:44 AM   #40

I cant help think about my millennial daughter and her friends 1)medschool 2)PhD program molecular something 3)DD over 1/2 through masters (gpa 4.0) and full time developer

Sure shes got friends with environmental sciences and physics degrees, from lesser colleges in poor paying jobs but isnt that a decision they made?

These over achievers have a common trait .. endgame always in sight (med school, job, PhD program), academic excellence and a can do attitude.

Oh and one other little thing they go where the jobs are..
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote