They Had to Invite Me

redduck

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Next month I’m going to do something that I’ve never done before: I’ll be attending my 50th high school reunion. For those of you folks who may be a bit too literal, this is not the 50th time I’ll be attending a high school reunion. This more has to do with graduating from high school in 1962.

Anyhow, it seems about a third of the class will be showing up, which I guess is pretty good. I’m actually more curious about the ones not showing up. (I am so glad I'll be showing up).

From what I gather, most of the attendees are retired or sort of retired. I, on the other hand, am not—but, this is mainly out of spite. I remembered when I graduated (bottom 5% of the class—keep in mind the competition was tough) everybody said, “Hey, Duck, nobody’s going to give you a job.” Well, I showed them. Just who’s not working NOW?

The other weird thing (actually, it’s all weird) is that after we email one another about high school memories/teachers/classes, we go onto to more recent events: travel/children/grandchildren (all basically pretty boring stuff) and then back to relationships/missed opportunities/hate/lust/love/insecurities/goofy times—none of which is boring. Remember, this is a group of 68 year olds that have known each other for 50 years (or more). (To be continued. Please see below).

Ah, here we are: welcome back…

We are also having elementary school reunions the night before the high school reunion. So, many of us have known one another for a mere, let’s say, 58 years or so.

Every ten years I win the vote: "Mostly likely not to change, but should." I’m pretty sure I’m the favorite to win it once again.

"Mostly likely not to change, but should."

In what way? Physically or physiologically, we all change (or did you discover the fountain of youth and are keeping it to yourself?). So, it must be mentally, spiritually, attitudinally or something like that (something that is not physical yet observable, but I am at a loss of words here).

Do you care to characterize yourself further? And why did they say you should change? That implies that it is something bad! Come on, come clean now.

Last edited:
I know people (my son for example) who refuse to attend a reunion.

Personally, I've found them very comforting. Sort of a "the more things change the more they stay the same..."

I've rekindled some wonderful old relationships, which, as an only child, are good to have. One can't have too many friends.

Let us know how it goes. Sounds like you have a great group.

e
I've rekindled some wonderful old relationships...

Me too at my 50th.

In many ways it is a celebration of life.. you are still among the living. It is interesting to observe those who have traversed the intervening years smoothly, and others who haven't. "Success" in an economic sense is much less important and when it is usually it is concern for a classmate who is having a rough time. Some of your classmates who were predicted to soar crash and burn. A couple smart classmates will have dementia now.

Go, have fun.

My fiftieth class reunion. We're all sitting around bragging about our accomplishments, how successful we've been and how much money we all have. Up drives the class dummy in a limo, gets out, dressed to the nines with a beautiful woman on his arm. Diamonds, Rolex, etc. We're all looking at each other like what the hell? We get to talking over a couple drinks and say to the dummy "hey, what's going on. You look so successful and we're wondering what you do for a living". He says, "I'm into eggs. Not chickens but them eggs. Millions of eggs. Millions and millions. I buy them for a penny each and sell them for three cents each.
That 2% really adds up".

I went to my 50th and was glad I went. The best part was having old classmates tell me what I meant to them.......and, some of it was a little surprising. The sad part is the list that was passed out of those that have departed from this world......lots of kids I would have thought would probably had outlived me. Some of the "dogs" turned into cuties, one gal that worked as a Playboy bunny now weighed over 350 lbs. I may have been the most successful financially but the "winners" were/are those that had health, family and financial security.....and, I'm one of the lucky ones. I'd suggest everyone go when you have your 50th......not to brag but to reconnect with everyone that meant something to you and to listen to those that you may not have realized at the time but you meant something to them. I wish that there would be a 60th but I'm told not enough would be around to make it worthwhile.....that's something worth thinking about as well.

I had few friends in HS and was for the most part treated like dirt when I was there. I have had some on-and-off contact with a few HS classmates but that is all.

That being said, I would consider going to my HS reunion (the 25th was was back in 2006) if they would hold it in a less formal setting. They always have it in some gala hotel charging more than $100 a person when they could have it perhaps in the HS itself or as a picnic in a state park nearby (where those with children can bring them along and make a day out of it). If I were to go, it would be something in a "Revenge of the Nerds" motif, being able to boast about having retired at 45.

Without having attended any reunions, I was able to obtain a compilation of what some of my fellow graduates wrote back in 2001 (before the 20th reunion), describing what they had been doing in the last 20 years. Made for an interesting read and it helped my locate one of them years later I had been friends with but had lost touch with.

I'm guessing they meant underwear, but I could be wrong...

When I asked Redduck to "come clean", I did not think anyone would take it in the above literal sense. But we just have to wait for his reply.

E-mail (and Facebook photos) have cured me of the desire to attend any further reunions... especially college & high school.

If I cared about any of these people then I'd communicate with and visit them more frequently, and I wouldn't need a reunion to make it happen.

My fiftieth class reunion. We're all sitting around bragging about our accomplishments, how successful we've been and how much money we all have. Up drives the class dummy in a limo, gets out, dressed to the nines with a beautiful woman on his arm. Diamonds, Rolex, etc. We're all looking at each other like what the hell? We get to talking over a couple drinks and say to the dummy "hey, what's going on. You look so successful and we're wondering what you do for a living". He says, "I'm into eggs. Not chickens but them eggs. Millions of eggs. Millions and millions. I buy them for a penny each and sell them for three cents each.
That 2% really adds up".
LOL!

I missed my elementary school reunion because I had just been in a car crash and could not travel. I went to my HS reunion and really enjoyed it. There I renewed a friendship with a guy who had been on sports teams with me in HS, and also my freshman year roomate at university. We live nearby, and now see one another frequently.

This past spring was my 50th college reunion, but I didn't feel like traveling that far. I spent some time looking for an old girlfriend who used to live in the same town as the school, but it can be hard to find women. It turns out that although I dated her frequently for 3 years, I apparently did not understand where she had gone to college, or where she worked. I didn't want to try to rekindle a romantic relationship, because face it she is as old as I am. But she was a super woman, and she had the kindest most understanding way of telling me I was full of it. So many times I have thought, if I had just paid more heed to Bettie things might have gone more smoothly for me. I would have liked to just enjoy her companionship and wit once more. And hey, if she had taken off her clothes, what's not to like?

But not finding her, I thought to hell with the trip. I plan to make the 60th.

Ha

Last edited:
Nords said:
E-mail (and Facebook photos) have cured me of the desire to attend any further reunions... especially college & high school.

If I cared about any of these people then I'd communicate with and visit them more frequently, and I wouldn't need a reunion to make it happen.

This is my attitude as well. Went to one maybe 20 years ago. Was OK but it was amazing how much we had all changed. Really had very little in common with these guys and the years have confirmed that. If you are into nostalgia(I am not) they can be fun I think. I guess the most fun was seeing the "big guys on campus" turn out like very average and even less than average guys. Not a positve motive for attending though.

I only attended one - my 30th.

I reminded a guy there about the time in 8th grade that he had packed a hollowed out book with batteries and flashbulbs and set it off in the middle of a darkened classroom.

He was horrified that I'd remembered and begged me not to tell the story to his kids.

We both went on to be engineers. :LOL:

Many posters seem to be caught in competion, talking about winners and losers, cuties and fatties, etc.

As ERs we have dropped out of the race, so why not enjoy that freedom? No one really cares how cool we once were, or more likely, how cool we thought we were.

Maybe we have to be older to leave that behind.

Ha

haha said:
Many posters seem to be caught in competion, talking about winners and losers, cuties and fatties, etc.

As ERs we have dropped out of the race, so why not enjoy that freedom? No one really cares how cool we once were, or more likely, how cool we thought we were.

Maybe we have to be older to leave that behind.

Ha

Agree

I have gone to two reunions with my SO .At the last one a classmate of his remembered me from school and had lots to recall .It was hard to break it to him that not only had I not graduated that year but I went to a school in a totally different state.

Last edited:
I have not been to any class reunions. I'm just not interested and don't have much in common with any former classmates. There are a few I see on FB, but there is little interaction with them.

Ienjoyed my 10 and 20 year reunions. Haven't reached 30 yet. Ithink the key was that I had some key friends that I knew would be there. Yes, I do see those guys outside of reunions, but them being there was a "fun guarantee."

Went to my 20th HS class reunion, and - while interesting - that was enough for me.
The group of people I had looked forward to seeing had stayed away in droves, and the ones that I didn't particularly care for were just as full of themselves, officious and irritating as they were 20 years ago (with a few pleasant exceptions).

It did thoroughly reinforce my decision to get the heck out of my home town as soon as I could - it's a one "industry" town, and if you're not interested in participating in the industry discussions, you really have little in common to discuss.

My 15 year HS reunion was on Aug 10th. I didn't go. I didn't have any close friends in highschool and haven't kept in touch with anyone from my class. I didn't see any reason to go. I guess i'm anti-social.

I have been to every reunion of the high school I graduated from. Having been a Navy Brat, I attended 10 different schools from kindergarten to 12th grade. The schools ranged from Illinois to Pennsylvania to California (twice) to Mississippi to Hawaii and back to Mississippi. I went to the high school I graduated from for almost a full two years so I identify with that group more than the others.

The last reunion in 2003 was the thirtieth. I have lots of acquaintances and a few close friends I have kept in touch with over the years. I enjoy seeing the people and how they have changed and generally have a good time. In high school I was always the "new kid" for the two years (just like every other school I ever attended) I was there and never was part of the so-called, imaginary "in-crowd".

To my surprise, they voted me "most changed" from high school. Not because of my graying hair or weight but because my personality had changed from the wound-too-tight anti-social to someone who was genuinely glad to see the others and talk about anything. The class president had become a doctor but was dying of cancer and we had a long talk about the future of the energy infrastructure. He and I had never talked much in high school but he seemed to really enjoy talking about anything other than his illness.

I've never been invited to any sort of reunion; I suppose because I moved so often in my 20's, and changed my name once or twice. I did succeed in finding some of the boys/young men through FB and Google. The one I liked best, because he was whip-smart, good-looking and kind, had married a gorgeous, blond...man.

Amethyst

I went to a 20 year grade school reunion several years ago.

It was fun seeing what others were up to. But I'm still undecided if I prefer to go to reunions or not. Maybe the past is best left in the past? I don't know.

I do not even get to ponder the choice of going or not. My classmates have been scattered to the wind. I do not even remember most of them. I am still in contact with a couple of friends, and that was it.

Back
Top Bottom