Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-07-2021, 10:02 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
You will have to offset the value of two years of healthy retirement against the opportunity cost of acceding to your director's request.

Just one thing....you cannot buy time. Especially healthy retirement time. Once it has passed it has gone forever.
+1 You will "never" ever get back that two years. And you still have to option to w*rk parttime if you really fell you need that little extra bit of money.

If it were me, I would retire!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-07-2021, 10:16 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out-to-Lunch View Post
If "they" = "mafia," then yes, stay.
If "they" != "mafia," then no!
https://images.app.goo.gl/wWyhssXGvAqdtDPu5

just when I thought I was out....they drag me back in
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 10:44 AM   #43

The "company" is actually public service... and they aren't making any profit from me..
Well except off my property tax... Its the dedication and experience that they don't want to loose. Half the medics we have were not even born when I started, and the mind set shows in many of them.
old medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 10:47 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by old medic View Post
The "company" is actually public service... and they aren't making any profit from me..
Well except off my property tax... Its the dedication and experience that they don't want to loose. Half the medics we have were not even born when I started, and the mind set shows in many of them.

That makes it easier you have provided plenty of public service, don't let them guilt you into providing more.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 10:51 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old medic View Post
I wouldn't let this change your decision.
dirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 12:33 PM   #46

Old_Medic, even though the consensus here seems to be, get the hell outta Dodge, and as quickly as possible, it's still reasonable, that you posted your question. After pretty much spending your entire life either working in your career, or leading up to it (school, training, etc), it's hard to make a decision that's suddenly going to leave that all behind. So, even though the answer might seem obvious in retrospect, it's still good to bounce your thoughts off of us here, just for that added peace-of-mind that you're probably doing the right thing. Or, in the off chance there's something you're missing, I'm sure someone here would catch it.

I'm in a somewhat similar situation, where I could easily retire, presuming my FireCalc assumptions are correct and I didn't make any mistakes with the input. But then, for each month I keep working, I think about how much is going into my checking account to cover expenses, how much is still going into my 401k, and how much it's saving me on health insurance. And, as a result, it's hard to make the jump into retirement.

When I do start getting serious about it, I might be posting a similar question, with my own specifics, just to get sort of a reality check.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 12:55 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

After a certain age, time is your most important commodity, not money. After age fifty or so, you realize that there is more of the landing strip behind you, than in front of you. And the plane does not go backwards under any circumstances. Tell your managers or whomever that your retirement plans are firm and make the most of whatever space you have left on the runway in front of you.
FloridaJim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 01:29 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Do you want to work 2 more years or do you want to retire? The money is secondary at this point, you’ve reached your goal!
nhcycling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 02:35 PM   #49

You can add more years to your working, but you can't add more years to your retirement.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
They want me to stay.... What Would You Do?
Old 04-07-2021, 02:58 PM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

They want me to stay.... What Would You Do?

Good heavens, in your situation I'd RETIRE. You can afford it and time is slipping by.
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:10 PM   #51
Dryer sheet aficionado

I think what they are really asking is for you to do the job so they don't have to look for your replacement. Offer to take on finding your replacement as your last project before retirement.
Bee4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:13 PM   #52
Dryer sheet aficionado

great thoughts. I continue to be amazed at the hurdle from growing my 401k to spending it. It is a psychology barrier I never anticipated.
Bee4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 09:26 PM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.

Perspective is important. Keeping you on for 2 years would likely seem different than returning to work after experiencing some retirement lifestyle.

I left mega-corp after completing a negotiated severance work requirement (1 year retention). 3 months after retiring, I was offered a 1 year contract to return to my old position at pretty good terms (day rate contractor as opposed to benefit employee). It had absolutely no appeal to me after only 3 months away from the grind. But if I had been offered the same deal as an extension when I was leaving work ? I very well might have taken it.

I'm finding retirement better than I had imagined, even with the Covid lock downs. Knowing what I know now, I wish I'd had the where-with-all to pull the plug even earlier. Certainly not looking for a way to extend or return to the old grind.
bada bing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 06:43 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaJim57 View Post
After a certain age, time is your most important commodity, not money. After age fifty or so, you realize that there is more of the landing strip behind you, than in front of you. And the plane does not go backwards under any circumstances. .
I LOVE your analogy
Old 04-10-2021, 07:03 AM   #55

Many thanks again....
Andre1969, When I posted the question I was 99.9% sure that I would still be retiring, but It doesnt hurt to consider the option, and get others opinions. And there is no doubt that it would be financially beneficial to us for me to stay 2 more years.
My grand father always said consider your Wants VS Needs....
Do I WANT to stay... Not really...
Do We NEED the extra money.... All though it would be nice... Not really.
And no one on here seems to think I NEED to either....
Old 04-11-2021, 09:47 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
You can add more years to your working, but you can't add more years to your retirement.
Bingo!! +1
Old 04-11-2021, 10:50 AM   #57

Glad we could be of assistance, medic.
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 11:16 AM   #58

Well, I went back after a few months of retirement. I got the 2 day a week part time schedule I had always wanted and limited the duration. They were were fully staffed when I left but lost someone. The pandemic limited travel and we were staying home anyway. I don't think anyone who is FI should sign up something miserable.
RetMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 12:01 PM   #59

If you are really comfortable with your savings now .... I'd say "RUN ..and retire". If you feel miserable everyday .. 2 years is a long long time.
Old 04-11-2021, 01:01 PM   #60
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you are an experienced medic you could associate with a community college medic training program and do some teaching.