Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-16-2022, 09:00 AM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

This triggered a memory. The store in town that sold Buster Brown shoes had one of these. Anyone recognize it?

Oh, yes! I think my feet should glow from all the radiation :-)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2022, 09:03 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:

This triggered a memory. The store in town that sold Buster Brown shoes had one of these. Anyone recognize it?

Yup...an X-ray machine to see how well the shoes fit a kid's feet.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 09:05 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
my biggest "worry" as a kid i. the summer was getting enough guys to get a ball game going at a vacant lot.
Yep. When we didn't have enough guys to form full teams we would play pitcher's hand with ghost runners and use defensive shifts. If anyone wants these things explained, just ask.

Also, playing sandlot ball with a cracked wooden bat that had been repaired with a nail because Little LeagueŽ season was over and my parents were not going to buy me a new bat until next season since I'd outgrow it by the time next season rolled around.

Quote:
after dinner we could play outside until the street lights came on.
Same here. When I didn't come in right away after the lights came on my dad would let loose a distinctive--and loud--whistle using his mouth and fingers. I knew to come running when I heard that. Other kid's dad's had their own distinctive whistle or yell. (I wonder if they got together and assigned signature sounds?)

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Qs Laptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 09:26 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qs Laptop View Post
Same here. When I didn't come in right away after the lights came on my dad would let loose a distinctive--and loud--whistle using his mouth and fingers. I knew to come running when I heard that. Other kid's dad's had their own distinctive whistle or yell. (I wonder if they got together and assigned signature sounds?)
One family in our neighborhood had a cow bell she rang that could be heard, loud and clear, all over. It would go off about 6pm and 9pm.
All the kids knew it was time to go home for dinner or bed when she rang it!
Old 08-16-2022, 09:50 AM   #65
Recycles dryer sheets

Most of my 10-12 year old friends had 22 rifles. We'd head to our fort by the "crick" and shoot cans floating downstream. On the way we'd "borrow" field corn and potatoes and cook over a fire for lunch at our "fort". If we were lucky we may add a couple of "chubs" or trout to the meal.
The fort is where many of us smoked our first cigarettes.
Rummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 10:17 AM   #66

Making model airplanes. Hanging them with string from my bedroom ceiling. Then we would shoot at them with these Star Trek phaser guns that fired little plastic discs.

Flash light tag

Neighbors and us shooting off so many firecrackers in the neighborhood streets on 4th of July that you couldn’t even see the pavement anymore due to the shredded paper.

Washing cars in the driveway

Desperately desiring one of those all in one receivers, 8-track, cassette, round table units for Christmas.

May pole dance at kindergarten. As a young boy I wasn’t a big fan of this. Standing in the corner with a dunce cap for talking over teacher. Wasn’t a big fan of that either.

Catching horned frogs in the backyard. They used to be everywhere.

Tuning the UHF dial on the TV to try and find Gillian’s Island.

Being my dads remote control. Son, get up and change the channel. Get up turn the volume down.
Old 08-16-2022, 10:18 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

This triggered a memory. The store in town that sold Buster Brown shoes had one of these. Anyone recognize it?.

My friend said he used to spend what seemed like hours watching his toes wriggle with that thing. He always suspected that foot cancer would get him. He's still OK at age 75.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 10:23 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qs Laptop View Post
Also, playing sandlot ball with a cracked wooden bat that had been repaired with a nail because Little LeagueŽ season was over and my parents were not going to buy me a new bat until next season since I'd outgrow it by the time next season rolled around.
What?!? Your parents didn't buy you oven mits a sliding glove to keep your nails clean? For shame!!!
Old 08-16-2022, 10:30 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

My neighbor friend and I used to spend hours throwing a D cell battery on his garage roof and catching it when it rolled back. It was kind of like "Plinko", the battery would dart back and forth and you never knew where it would land.

Hmmm... Probably not too good for the shingles.

Still, those kid games that cost nothing were the "Rosebud" of my youth.

Old 08-16-2022, 11:24 AM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
My neighbor friend and I used to spend hours throwing a D cell battery on his garage roof and catching it when it rolled back. It was kind of like "Plinko", the battery would dart back and forth and you never knew where it would land.
I did this with a tennis ball and then catch it in my baseball mitt. But instead of it rolling off the roof I would throw the ball high in the air so it would bounce off the roof. I got so good at it eventually I was throwing the tennis ball on the garage roof, then ducking under the overhang so I was blind to the ball coming off the garage, then quickly reacting and trying to make the catch. There were many over the shoulder catches ala Willy Mays in the 1954 World Series. Good times.

With my two boys I'd hit them fly balls with a tennis ball and tennis racket in the back yard. We have a big backyard and I could hit the balls fairly high, maybe 75-100 feet or so. I could make them run down fly balls. Also put spin on the balls to make it tougher. Then there were the line drives...

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Qs Laptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 11:49 AM   #71

Muscle cars of the 60s and 70s that were simple enough mechanically that you could swap out an engine or transmission in a couple of hours in the driveway Saturday afternoon, and be ready for cruising late into Saturday evening.
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 11:51 AM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerides View Post
Pantyhose - thankfully women today have enough sense not to bother with that daily nylon constriction.
Ah yes pantyhose. After a day in high school, a friend and I were driving around. A girl we knew was coming out of a local store, and we asked her if she wanted a ride. She hopped in the car, and struck up a conversation about the pantyhose she just bought.

We dropped her off at her house, and rode around a little more before we noticed that she left her purchase in my car. So we went back to her house, I walked to the door with the bag, and when her mom answered the door, I said: “Here’s Nancy’s pantyhose - she left them in my car”
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 11:52 AM   #73

Candy cigarettes, can't find them anywhere anymore!
homestead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 12:02 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

The ball games:

Tennis baseball, played with regular bat but tennis ball which had limited flight. Worked in a big front yard or vacant lot.

Nerf baseball, played with a whiffle bat. Underhand pitching with speed changes and lots of spin. Hard to really "get hold of one" with the bat. Played on driveway, preferably against a fence or garage where a well hit ball could leave the yard and score invisible runners. Just needed 2 to play.

Pickup basketball, played anywhere there was a hoop. Fewer leagues or organized play then.

Riding bikes everywhere. To school, to the mall, to friends' houses, to the pool, to the rec center.

Student safety patrols- 5th and 6th graders who had uniforms and long flags helped stop traffic in front of the school so kids could safely cross the street. No cell phones then so everyone stayed safe as far as I know.

Good memories but a bit sad.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 12:03 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
Written thank you notes - a relic of my youth. I still write them, but no one else I know does.
Interestingly, we still get these for the high school/college graduation and wedding gifts we give. Maybe because the recipients see the gifts as generous and want to stay on our good side for the future . Or their parents force them to write them .
Old 08-16-2022, 12:14 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Being able to openly bring your own food/snacks into MLB/NFL/NBA games, and not feel like a smuggler and risk a full body search. Some teams would even promote "picnic days" for this.
Old 08-16-2022, 12:18 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by homestead View Post
Candy cigarettes, can't find them anywhere anymore!
Amazon sells them, but the price has tripled over the last several years.

Five Below stores used to carry them, but they may not anymore, I have noticed them there for a couple of year.
Old 08-16-2022, 12:19 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
Interestingly, we still get these for the high school/college graduation and wedding gifts we give. Maybe because the recipients see the gifts as generous and want to stay on our good side for the future . Or their parents force them to write them .
I'm glad to hear that the tradition continues (even if the participants have (potentially) dubious motives!)
Old 08-16-2022, 12:54 PM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormy Kromer View Post
I saw a public water fountain the other day in a small town.

Ash trays. They were everywhere. As a kid it was my job to put them out for dinners in the church basement. We kept them next to the old spitoons from the previous generations....Never saw them in use.
Smoking - now there's an enormous, enormous change. Walking through Penn Station or the local train station, stepping on discarded ashes, cigarette butts thrown out the window, the stale smell of smoke. Don't miss those days at all!
Old 08-16-2022, 12:58 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollystomper View Post
Being able to openly bring your own food/snacks into MLB/NFL/NBA games, and not feel like a smuggler and risk a full body search. Some teams would even promote "picnic days" for this.
I can still smell the whiskey wafting through the air in Soldier Field during a Bears game. It was the mid 70s, I was only 12 or 13 and went on a cold November day with Dad. Everyone brought thermoses with "coffee." Even at 12, I knew that wasn't coffee!