Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-22-2021, 03:35 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post

I'm also annoyed at having to pay for air and I now have a compressor at home.
I guess this should go into the "opposite" thread but air compressors are actually a good example of something that used to be quite expensive but is now (close to) FREE. Less than $10 anyway, so really no need for anyone to go to the gas station anymore.
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2021, 03:42 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
We got an Uber Eats coupon for $20, so I'm about to place a very rare (for us) delivery order to a local restaurant. In addition to tax, and requesting a tip in advance for the driver (since I have no cash to hang on the door for him/her, I'm adding one, but not the 20% suggested), they have added $4.50 in "fees." No explanation, just "fees."
I got an offer from Uber Eats too, but did not use it, so do not know how it works.

Is the $4.5 the fee paid to the restaurant? Perhaps the $20 only covers the delivery cost, and the restaurant charges extra for packing?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 03:53 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I'm also annoyed at having to pay for air and I now have a compressor at home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
I guess this should go into the "opposite" thread but air compressors are actually a good example of something that used to be quite expensive but is now (close to) FREE. Less than $10 anyway, so really no need for anyone to go to the gas station anymore.
For the homes, of course I have large compressors for air tools. For the car, for years, no decades, I have had a small 12V compressor in the trunk for emergency use.

A brother-in-law who lives near me, despite being a multi-millionaire, used to find it more convenient to come and borrow mine than to buy his own. He stopped doing it for a while now.

Then, just recently he said that Costco now no longer checked his tires as a free service. Instead, they had mounted a compressor outside the tire shop, and directed customers like him to do their own.

I guess I am different from my BIL, in that I find it a lot more convenient to spend a little bit of money to be able to do something myself, than to drive around asking for help or to borrow tools on a frequent basis. And how long did he have to stand there to wait for a Costco guy to free up to check his tires? I forgot to ask him that.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 09-22-2021, 04:04 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I guess I am different from my BIL, in that I find it a lot more convenient to spend a little bit of money to be able to do something myself, than to drive around asking for help or to borrow tools on a frequent basis. And how long did he have to stand there to wait for a Costco guy to free up to check his tires? I forgot to ask him that.
This!!! Agree 100%

That said, my FIL used to ALWAYS have his tire pressure checked when he went to Costco (once a week, maybe). He absolutely LOVED collecting freebies of ANY kind, including free pressure checks.... When he passed away, we disposed of many trashbahgs full of little free gizmos he collected at trade shows, sporting events, etc. It was his hobby.
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 04:13 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
This!!! Agree 100%

That said, my FIL used to ALWAYS have his tire pressure checked when he went to Costco (once a week, maybe). He absolutely LOVED collecting freebies of ANY kind, including free pressure checks.... When he passed away, we disposed of many trashbahgs full of little free gizmos he collected at trade shows, sporting events, etc. It was his hobby.

I guess Costco did this free service to appease the portion of their members who felt that this privilege was truly worthwhile. That tire check alone was worth the annual membership, perhaps.

Then, they found out that it distracted too much time from their service guys, and had to call it quit.

Old 09-22-2021, 04:19 PM   #46

Quote:
I guess Costco did this free service to appease the portion of their members who felt that this privilege was truly worthwhile. That tire check alone was worth the annual membership, perhaps.

Then, they found out that it distracted too much time from their service guys, and had to call it quit.
But they have a missed opportunity. They should give everyone who asks for a pressure check a brand new $15 (list price) pressure gauge. Would probably cost a buck or three, but would guarantee re-enrollment for a few years.
Old 09-22-2021, 04:27 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
I don't pay to peruse SA. I am a member, but not "premium" level.
3 articles a month or something?

Edited to add: they have sharply cut down the free content but it looks the site is no longer linked to my account.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 04:30 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Then, they found out that it distracted too much time from their service guys, and had to call it quit
Very odd. When I had new tires installed @ Costco, they were filled with nitrogen. While I am not convinced this is necessary, they did tell me that I can "swing by" anytime to have them checked...and as far as I know, there isn't a nitrogen filling station there (for customers to use) and adding ambient air defeats the purpose of nitrogen-only. Perhaps they have modified the policy to those that purchase tires @ Costco?
Old 09-22-2021, 04:34 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
But they have a missed opportunity. They should give everyone who asks for a pressure check a brand new $15 (list price) pressure gauge. Would probably cost a buck or three, but would guarantee re-enrollment for a few years.

But, but, but there will be people who come by every week to get their "weekly" free pressure gauge.

Costco guys would have to log into their computer to note who has been given a pressure gauge, and who has not. Lots more work!

You cannot win.

PS. No. People will ask how they are going to fill their tires if the pressure is low. You've got to give them a free compressor too, to go with the pressure gauge. Costco definitely cannot win!

Old 09-22-2021, 04:39 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

About the only free thing I miss is the content of WSJ and Bloomberg Web sites.

Now, I would not mind paying for a subscription (I used to subscribe to several monthly and weekly printed periodicals), but their fee is way too high.

Old 09-22-2021, 04:42 PM   #51

Quote:
But, but, but there will be people who come by every week to get their "weekly" free pressure gauge.

Costco guys would have to log into their computer to note who has been given a pressure gauge, and who has not. Lots more work!

You cannot win.

PS. No. People will ask how they are going to fill their tires if the pressure is low. You've got to give them a free compressor too, to go with the pressure gauge. Costco definitely cannot win!
Yeah. You got me. No good deed goes unpunished.
Old 09-22-2021, 04:43 PM   #52

Gas station near me said, just punch in the code written on the side of the machine.
Had to wait 5 minutes in line to learn that. Oh well, pay more attention and fill at home before the light comes on is easier.
MC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 04:48 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

And speaking of air/water at gas stations, one gas station/convenience store a few miles from me has a nice row of vacuuming stations.

Yes, you read that right. In a section of their large parking lot, there are about 10 bays, where you pull in, and use a large overhead vacuum hose to clean the interior of your car. Free. I drove by several times, and always thought it was coin operated. My SIL who lives in the area said it was free. And indeed it was. Son of a gun!

Now, that's something really against the trend. And servicing these vacuums and cleaning out their filters is a lot more work than maintaining the air/water dispenser hoses.

PS. I have used that vacuum station only once. I still find doing at home on my driveway, using my own vacuum is better. I do it at my leisure and without having other cars crowding around me.

Old 09-22-2021, 04:52 PM   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
3 articles a month or something?

Edited to add: they have sharply cut down the free content but it looks the site is no longer linked to my account.
Actually, I get a email from them daily after market closes that contains four articles. I also look at a few I find during the look at the four. I have no idea why I have this access but I have been a non-paid member for a very long time.
Old 09-22-2021, 05:07 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
We got an Uber Eats coupon for $20, so I'm about to place a very rare (for us) delivery order to a local restaurant. In addition to tax, and requesting a tip in advance for the driver (since I have no cash to hang on the door for him/her, I'm adding one, but not the 20% suggested), they have added $4.50 in "fees." No explanation, just "fees."
I've gotten those discount coupons from various food delivery places but don't use them.

Uber Eats and others charge the restaurant 30% of the food cost, so basically the restaurant cannot make money. This is in addition to what they charge the customer.
Old 09-22-2021, 05:33 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Very odd. When I had new tires installed @ Costco, they were filled with nitrogen. While I am not convinced this is necessary, they did tell me that I can "swing by" anytime to have them checked...and as far as I know, there isn't a nitrogen filling station there (for customers to use) and adding ambient air defeats the purpose of nitrogen-only. Perhaps they have modified the policy to those that purchase tires @ Costco?
I fill my tires for free at home and get at least 78% Nitrogen in the process. If i use the bicycle pump I also get some exercise to keep my beefcake figure for my wife or I could use the little electric pump.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 05:53 PM   #57

Quote:
I'm told this has to do with averting damage to the site, caused by stupid, careless visitors. You wouldn't think people could damage gigantic stone slabs, but given enough of us, we can mess up just about anything
I think you're correct:
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 06:23 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
About the only free thing I miss is the content of WSJ and Bloomberg Web sites.

Now, I would not mind paying for a subscription (I used to subscribe to several monthly and weekly printed periodicals), but their fee is way too high.
Same here.
Old 09-22-2021, 06:47 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

I've always (3 decades) had an air compressor in the garage. The latest is copper piped T split to a drop on either side of the door. One drop is plugged to a 50 foot hose reel and air at home is no problem.

If I have to pay on the road, it will be very easy compared to changing the tire (slow vs fast leak) not to mention if I buy gas (in California) the air is free.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 09:21 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
Been a while but we found out battery dead in a hotel parking garage. Few people around. I had cables.
These days I carry a charged up jump start battery in my trunk. If my main battery ever goes dead I can jump start myself. No need to rely on anyone else who thinks I owe them for doing the right thing.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote