Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-26-2021, 03:09 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

In better restaurants, ones where they bake their own artisanal bread and muffins, the selection can be delectable. Rosemary-basil whole grain bread with toasted cheese edges? Corn muffins with sundried tomato? Yum! And good for sopping the sauce from the entree, too! Now I'm hungry.

For various reasons, we rarely eat out, so it may be a while before we find out if the bread basket now is a la carte.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
Honestly, most of the bread in the restaurant bread baskets is not worth eating. .
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2021, 03:41 PM   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo111 View Post
Our longtime dentist used to give a goodie bag after cleaning that included a little floss pack, a toothbrush, and a little tube of toothpaste. After my cleaning last week, I asked about the swag bag and was told "due to covid and the cost of PPE, we discontinued this." I was really disappointed.
Y'know, come to think of it, I haven't gotten a free lollipop after a shot for decades.
Old 09-26-2021, 04:27 PM   #103
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo111 View Post
Our longtime dentist used to give a goodie bag after cleaning that included a little floss pack, a toothbrush, and a little tube of toothpaste. After my cleaning last week, I asked about the swag bag and was told "due to covid and the cost of PPE, we discontinued this." I was really disappointed.
My dentist started charging for the "free" goodie bag - $6 - so I told them to keep it. I know they get that stuff for free.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 04:30 PM   #104
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Choosing your seat on an airline in advance (prior to checking in at the airport). Nowadays, there is simply no way to do this for free. If you want to do it "for free", you must buy a ticket that's usually about $40-70 more expensive than the lowest priced "basic economy" ticket.
You couldn’t even get anything near as cheap as basic economy before.
Old 09-26-2021, 04:50 PM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
My dentist started charging for the "free" goodie bag - $6 - so I told them to keep it. I know they get that stuff for free.
That's tacky.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 04:50 PM   #106
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Yes. I was on my bike and the front tire was low so I stopped at a gas station to get air---75 cents. I left and stopped at a different one---25 cents. I'm only aware of one local chain that has free air now.
Costco - but it’s nitrogen.
Old 09-26-2021, 06:21 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Costco - but it’s nitrogen.
Dollar Tree has helium tanks, but it might cause the bike to float away if left unattended.
Old 09-28-2021, 03:37 PM   #108
Full time employment: Posting here.

I sold my last car via the "Offer Up" app for free. Now, I would list things on Facebook Marketplace - also currently free.
imnontrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 04:15 PM   #109
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
Been a while but we found out battery dead in a hotel parking garage. Few people around. I had cables.

Then saw a couple of dudes just about to get in their car. DW went to ask them, they obliged with no request for cash. Thanked them profusely.

Helps if a female asks I think. If easy on the eyes, so much the better.

I once took my young daughter to a local marina at about 2am in the morning to watch a meteorite shower. We parked a about 100ft to 120ft from another vehicle. we were watching through the windshield when I rolled my window down. there were, um, noises, specifically female noises coming from the vehicle, I rolled the window back up and my daughter didn't seem to notice. Any when the action was over, "not the meteorite shower' I heard the car motor turn over very slowly and then just click. I did my civic duty and offer them a jump and got there car running. we went back to watching the meteorite shower.
Yesterday my meth addicted redheaded female neighbor knocked at my front door and ask if I would jump her truck. I said yes and drove over to her driveway, we had a lot of trouble, because it wasn't really a low battery, it was a bad connection to her battery. She was gone before I even loaded up the battery cables, I suspect she was in a hurry to purchase her drugs. Maybe next time I'll ask her name, she's lived there 6 or 7 years, although 2 years of that were spent in jail. It's an irregular soap opera!
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:04 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23window View Post
Air and water. Two basic necessities of life that should be free. Not so at many gas stations any more.

They are still free. Step outside. Inhale. It's free.

Want water? Wait for rain, or find a body of water. No one will ask you for a credit card. Wade in.

Stay away from the gas stations.

#perspective
Old 09-28-2021, 07:08 PM   #111
gone traveling

oh. the good ol days... can remember I could pick up my date, fill the car up and we would get each of us a hamburger and fries... the whole cost was $5 and yes, that included filling up the car with gas... then as I got older you could buy a quart of beer for 50 cents...
dixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 07:23 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by doneat54 View Post
They are still free. Step outside. Inhale. It's free.

Want water? Wait for rain, or find a body of water. No one will ask you for a credit card. Wade in.

Stay away from the gas stations.

#perspective
I absolutely agree with "stay away from the gas stations".
Mr. Tightwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 06:47 AM   #113
Full time employment: Posting here.

The tire stations at our Costco are nitrogen, but are not self service. The same hose they fill tires they put on the cars, is the one they will fill your tires with.
Perryinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 08:24 AM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbervest View Post
Bread in high end restaurants. Now it's "bread service" for $4.
Hmm. That has not been our experience in the last couple of high end restaurants we have gone to.

Last week I was listening to a podcast and they were discussing that many restaurants (California) are adding "service fees" to the checks but they still are expecting gratuities. They aren't sure what the deal is...if this is true or if the wait staff is trying to double dip.

Quote:
That's crazy to me. As I understand, they are used as marketing items. My local DDS said they pay nothing for them.
Old 09-29-2021, 09:17 AM   #115
Recycles dryer sheets

When I bought common stocks back in the 1970's the commission was around $24.95 per trade. Now I can buy or sell any number of shares commission free. Life is good.
FLJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 10:01 AM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Ours are still free...we don't use them, except maybe for the guest room, or travel. When there are enough, we donate to a homeless shelter. We use battery toothbrushes, so the regular ones are useless to us except for cleaning drains, etc.

Quote:
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 10:09 AM   #117

Quote:
That's too funny! Really! Why would anyone pay $6 for that? I sure hope your goodie bag is different from mine (small pack of floss, tiny toothpaste, one toothbrush), because there is no way it is worth even close to that!
euro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 11:18 AM   #118
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doneat54 View Post

Yep. Oh, someone wants water that's safe to drink? Yeah, that'll cost them, as it should.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 01:26 PM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
That's too funny! Really! Why would anyone pay $6 for that? I sure hope your goodie bag is different from mine (small pack of floss, tiny toothpaste, one toothbrush), because there is no way it is worth even close to that!
Nope, it was the standard little toothpaste tube, a couple of brushes and some floss. On my last visit, this week, I asked if they were still charging and they denied that they ever had. I had to go back and look at an old bill to convince myself I'd not dreamed it.
Old 10-02-2021, 01:10 PM   #120
Give me a forum ...

Blue LED puck lights used to be free at Harbor Freight - but wait! They are back. LINK