Join Early Retirement Today

Thinking About Vegetables - Why don't we cook Lettuce?
Old 04-11-2012, 10:25 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thinking About Vegetables - Why don't we cook Lettuce?

We cook Spinach, Cabbage, Corn, Beans, Peas, Potatoes, Beets, Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts, Cauliflower, Carrots, Tomatoes, Onions, etc. (though the last three are often eaten raw, too), but I have never heard of Lettuce being cooked.

Never thought about it before, but while eating a sandwich, I realized Lettuce doesn't seem to be cooked ever. Is it a conspiracy of some sort?

Seems a bit odd, doesn't it, that of all the vegetables, somehow Lettuce doesn't get cooked?

Any ideas? Or crack-pot theories? Enquiring minds want to know!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2012, 10:33 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

While I have never tried it, cooked lettuce is apparently quite good:

Cooked lettuce becomes a hot topic

Quote:
Cooked lettuce has a long history. The oldest known cookbook, by the Roman Apicius, includes a recipe for pureed lettuce and onions (cheerfully titled "Another Mashed Vegetable"). Auguste Escoffier, the father of modern French fine dining, gives several recipes in "Ma Cuisine" (1934) for sauteed, braised or stuffed lettuce.

Cooked lettuce is still popular in French and Chinese cuisines -- and anything both cultures cook is especially worth noting. The Chinese cook lettuce as they might any other greens.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:42 AM   #3
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
We cook Spinach, Cabbage, Corn, Beans, Peas, Potatoes, Beets, Broccoli, Brussel Sprouts, Cauliflower, Carrots, Tomatoes, Onions, etc. (though the last three are often eaten raw, too), but I have never heard of Lettuce being cooked.

Never thought about it before, but while eating a sandwich, I realized Lettuce doesn't seem to be cooked ever. Is it a conspiracy of some sort?

Seems a bit odd, doesn't it, that of all the vegetables, somehow Lettuce doesn't get cooked?

Any ideas? Or crack-pot theories? Enquiring minds want to know!
It could be a conspiracy, but it might also be that cooked lettuce has no texture, unlike all the other veggies you mention.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:31 AM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

Are you planning to eat cooked lettuce in hot, lukewarm or cold?

As Michael said already, cooking lettuce might destroy its texture. If you do want to give it a try, I would suggest to cook it in a large cooking utensil (more heat mass) with hot oil in it. Let lettuce to go through very quickly without losing too much on its color and texture. Also stop cooking and immediately take lettuce out when you think it's about 60-70% done because the residual heat will keep working on it. Of course, finding a perfect set of seasonings to match or complement the cooked lettuce would be another topic and experiment.
ratto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:35 AM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Here's a great recipe for 'cooked' lettuce. Made with BACON!

Wilted Lettuce Salad Recipe - Allrecipes.com
Old 04-12-2012, 06:16 AM   #6
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post

Looks good. DW will never make it but I will keep a copy and maybe when she is visiting friends I can try it.

― Rudiger Dornbusch
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:20 AM   #7

Quote:

I love wilted lettuce salad. My mother made the best. You mentioning "cooked" lettuce got me to look at the recipe and nowhere does it say anything about cooking the lettuce. It's just rinsed and then the bacon and drippings are poured over it. Still looking for a cooked or boiled lettuce recipe. Doesn't sound good to me.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:34 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What's wrong with you people? There's one way you can cook any food and it's delicious. Fried Lettuce

Seriously, though, I do use various lettuces in stir fries, which I guess is similar to the wilted lettuce recipes. It's good that way. Also it's good pickled, which requires some cooking.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:46 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
What's wrong with you people? There's one way you can cook any food and it's delicious. Fried Lettuce

Seriously, though, I do use various lettuces in stir fries, which I guess is similar to the wilted lettuce recipes. It's good that way. Also it's good pickled, which requires some cooking.
Never heard of this but sounds delicious and I'm printing out the recipe. DW says she can't wait to try it.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:04 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
You mentioning "cooked" lettuce got me to look at the recipe and nowhere does it say anything about cooking the lettuce. It's just rinsed and then the bacon and drippings are poured over it.
Uh, Johnnie, that's why I put "cooked" in quotation marks. Pouring hot bacon grease over lettuce does "cook" it, in a fashion. And that's about as far as I want to go when it comes to cooking lettuce...
Old 04-12-2012, 08:04 AM   #11

Quote:

My uncle used to make it for us kids. It was a local favorite in the NC mountains. It is called "Kilt Lettuce". We also ate poke salad, and had scrambled eggs with cracklin's in them, (hog brains).
Old 04-12-2012, 08:48 AM   #12

Next time you have the grill fired up, split a head of romaine, brush with olive oil and spices of your choice, and grill it till it chars the side a bit. Surprisingly good.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 11:02 AM   #13

Quote:
Uh, Johnnie, that's why I put "cooked" in quotation marks. Pouring hot bacon grease over lettuce does "cook" it, in a fashion. And that's about as far as I want to go when it comes to cooking lettuce...
Okay?
Old 04-12-2012, 07:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Also eaten raw are spinach, cabbage, peas, broccoli and cauliflower.

I cook lettuce, ever eat escarole soup?
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #15

DW makes a great Lettuce soup. Haven't had it for a while, I'll have to ask her to whip it up.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:28 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
Next time you have the grill fired up, split a head of romaine, brush with olive oil and spices of your choice, and grill it till it chars the side a bit. Surprisingly good.
I had this at a restaurant the other night. Excellent.
spncity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:52 AM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

I never considered cooked lettuce until a friend of mine from Taiwan came to visit with me for a while. She broke it up and sauteed it in some olive oil and garlic, and I was amazed at how good it was. Would have never thought.
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:23 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Here's a blog on grilling romaine with some nice pics.

Grilled Romaine Lettuce | GrillinFools

I just hooked up our new Natural Gas grill, will be christening it with steaks this Saturday, and this lettuce, and maybe some grilled garlic bread will be part of it. My mouth is watering.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:28 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
DW makes a great Lettuce soup. Haven't had it for a while, I'll have to ask her to whip it up.
I have a great soups and stews only cookbook I bought years ago. I found a lettuce soup recipe in it and tried it for the adventure. It was fabulous.

Here is a recipe from one of my favorite chefs. BAM!!!!

Lettuce Soup Recipe : Emeril Lagasse : Food Network
Old 04-13-2012, 10:12 AM   #20

Quote:

Oh, man, that brings back memories. My mom made a very similar dish (no lemon juice and a little more sugar if I remember right) every summer. I haven't made it in years. Guess I'll add bacon and leaf lettuce to my shopping list for next week! Thanks!
MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote