Thinking of building a pool...what are the pro's and con's?

Yeah, most people run faster with the bear chasing them!

No pool for me!

They sound like one hassle after another after another, ad infinitum.

Required gates/fences, and gates left open "for convenience". What's the point? Dead critters in the pool.

They're definitely not for everyone. But, on days like this (feels like it's well into the 90s, and humid), it makes it all worth while. Now, admittedly, this morning I had to get one small frog and a good-sized toad out of the skimmers. and around 11 am, my housemate got into the pool. I was nearby, and he pointed at something and said "here, this is for you". It was a lizard that was clinging for dear life to the side of the pool, just above the water line. I told him it's a lizard, not a snake or a spider (or anything else he's afraid of), so go ahead and handle it, and he was able to scoop it out.

But it was SOOO nice to be able to just hop in, relax for a bit, and forget about my cares, before hopping back in front of the w*rk computer.

They're definitely not for everyone. But, on days like this (feels like it's well into the 90s, and humid), it makes it all worth while. Now, admittedly, this morning I had to get one small frog and a good-sized toad out of the skimmers. and around 11 am, my housemate got into the pool. I was nearby, and he pointed at something and said "here, this is for you". It was a lizard that was clinging for dear life to the side of the pool, just above the water line. I told him it's a lizard, not a snake or a spider (or anything else he's afraid of), so go ahead and handle it, and he was able to scoop it out.

But it was SOOO nice to be able to just hop in, relax for a bit, and forget about my cares, before hopping back in front of the w*rk computer.

You might want to try these. We have three of them around our pool.
Froglog: https://www.amazon.com/Swimline-FrogLog-Animal-Saving-Escape/dp/B08QX5MN28

Just a couple of years ago a young kid got killed by a gator at Disney.

And if I recall, they were in an area that had signage warning of the gators yet the parents ignored the warning.

We never bought one, but I believe they now have pool alarms that you can arm when you are done using the pool and will sound loudly of there is motion in the pool. Could save a life.

I have not heard/seen any of these that are reliable enough to trust a life with. We had one that was so sensitive that any kind of wind, frog jumping in the pool, bird getting water would set it off. We abandoned it after about two weeks and had a fence put up.

+1 on the "Frog Logs"...they work great. In the couple of years of having them, I have only found one critter in the skimmer.

You might want to try these. We have three of them around our pool.
Froglog: https://www.amazon.com/Swimline-FrogLog-Animal-Saving-Escape/dp/B08QX5MN28

Thanks, I've heard of stuff like that. The guys with the pool company have mentioned something like that, too. I've always wondered if they really work...if the critters are smart enough to actually use them?

They might not work with something like a snake I'm guessing, and definitely not something like a rabbit. But usually, the most common critter in the pool seems to be frogs and toads, so it would help.

Thanks, I've heard of stuff like that. The guys with the pool company have mentioned something like that, too. I've always wondered if they really work...if the critters are smart enough to actually use them?

They might not work with something like a snake I'm guessing, and definitely not something like a rabbit. But usually, the most common critter in the pool seems to be frogs and toads, so it would help.

It works very well. If you Google "Frog Log" on YouTube, you can see videos of assorted critters using it. We have quite a few rabbits around and we have yet to have one fall/jump into the pool...at least not that I know of. The frogs use it all the time. When I walk around the pool in the evening at least one or two will jump in (we have a large flower bed on the back side of the pool that the frogs love) and they will hop out within a few minutes of my departure. I know a snake was able to use it successfully, as well! :cool:

Then there is the doggie instead of the froggie escape.

Reactions: jj
And if I recall, they were in an area that had signage warning of the gators yet the parents ignored the warning.

Actually, there were "No Swimming" signs posted, but no alligator signage. They've installed them since. And the kid wasn't swimming, he was playing on the beach.

There have been a few gators found on Disney property since then, too. At least they're being proactive. Now. 226 alligators removed from Disney World since toddler’s death 5 years ago

... around 11 am, my housemate got into the pool. I was nearby, and he pointed at something and said "here, this is for you". It was a lizard that was clinging for dear life to the side of the pool, just above the water line...

How about an 8ft long lizard?

comp-1571317774.png

No danger of alligators where I am. The sun however will burn you to a crisp.

With the 4 shade sails installed this year, I have been able to use my pool more. Water temperature is 80F or so, even with the pool shaded.

You can see the pool is for swimming. No waterfall or decorative features. It's 12' deep at the diving board.

10965-albums255-picture2427.png

Last edited:

With the 4 shade sails installed this year, I have been able to use my pool more. Water temperature is 80F or so, even with the pool shaded.

You can see the pool is for swimming. No waterfall or decorative features. It's 12' deep at the diving board.

Looks especially inviting - if you live in the PNW:cool smiley: YMMV

Very pretty pool!

Great shade. I have a pool but only partially shaded by the hillside. Can you easily remove the shade in case there is a high wind event? If you can, I may get one….or a large cantilever umbella shade that I can fold up.

Great shade. I have a pool but only partially shaded by the hillside. Can you easily remove the shade in case there is a high wind event? If you can, I may get one….or a large cantilever umbella shade that I can fold up.

It took me a looong time to put up the sails, particularly as I had to adjust the tension at each line. Taking them down will not be as long, but could be 1/2 hour.

I have had only a mild wind storm since I put them up. They flapped around quite a bit, but suffered no damage. A really strong wind may break them or the lines. That's the risk I am taking, as the wind here often picks up very quickly giving you not much warning.

And standing up on a ladder holding the lines to the sails to disconnect them, you are bound to be pulled off the ladder by a gust.

PS. A neighbor down the street has had two quite large triangular sails to provide shade for his side yard. Seeing his sails survive the weather a couple of years now emboldened me to put up mine.

His sails were attached to the fascia board on the roofline of his 2nd story. That's 20-ft from the ground. Not something you remove in a few minutes. My attached points are only 12-ft up, but I would not do it in a windstorm.

PPS. The larger sails have a steel cable running around their perimeter. My larger rectangular tan-colored one is like that.

Last edited:
I knew I'd never have the guts to cough up the money to have a pool built. So to get around that, I bought a house with a pool already installed!

Where I'm at in Maryland, it's really only useful from about mid-May through maybe late September. We have had early, warm springs in the past, but, of course, not since I've owned a house with a pool. :facepalm:

It hasn't given me any regrets, yet. I have a pool company that comes out and opens it, closes it, and does a weekly maintenance. I could probably do most of what they do, myself, but this is one of the few areas I like to splurge on.

The only real annoyance I've had so far, is the cover. My pool is a weird size, 23x51 feet. The closest sized cover I could find, at the time, was 30x55, which left it a bit short on the ends. If the water level dropped too far in the winter, and I didn't keep a watch on it, it would sag, pull a water bag or two in, and get leaves and much underneath the cover.

The cover's also cheap. It had a 5 year warranty, but one of those pro-rated ones. After three winters, it's pretty much shot. The water bags tend to not last very long, either. But, on the plus side, it was cheap!

I've thought about looking into one of those more expensive covers, where they have sort of a zig-zag pattern of supports and it stretches tight, anchoring in the concrete, but I've heard those are expensive.

Anyway, 3 years into it, and no regrets yet. I'm only 51 though; I might feel different when I'm in my 80's. One feature I like about the pool now, but might bite me on the butt as I age, is that it's a bit of a distance from the house, maybe 150 feet. It's also somewhat out in the open. No overhanging trees, and I'd say the closest tree of any real substance is at least 50 feet away. On a hot summer day, it feels like an oasis out in the middle of nowhere, and having it not right up against the house makes it feel kind of like I'm on vacation, somehow. But, as I age, I'm sure I'm going to complain about that distance!

A few years into the pool, we got one of the covers you describe. No regrets! The pool is much cleaner on opening and closing. It will be in the high 90s this week. After dinner last night, DH got in the pool and played some pool volleyball. After sunset, all the garden solar lights came on and we set the LED pool light to cycle between blues and greens. When we got a little cold, we switched to the hot tub. I got too warm and went back into the pool. I think we were there for a couple of hours.

I know I’ll be cooling off every evening this week.

I slept very well last night.

Weeds through pavers?

Question for you who have a pool with pavers as decking.

Our builder says they put polymeric sand and gravel under the pavers. We asked about landscape fabric as well to discourage weeds peeking through. He said it was unnecessary. Any experiences with pavers and weeds?

Thanks!

Question for you who have a pool with pavers as decking.

Our builder says they put polymeric sand and gravel under the pavers. We asked about landscape fabric as well to discourage weeds peeking through. He said it was unnecessary. Any experiences with pavers and weeds?

Thanks!

By unnecessary, he probably means a waste of effort. Weeds will grow no matter what you do, more from what lands on the pavers than what's currently underneath. Weed seeds that land from the wind, birds, critters will sink into the spaces and find just enough soil and sustenance that also gets deposited.

You will get weeds, but it's not a deal breaker. Easy enough to spray and treat from time to time.

I just came in from the pool, and hopped back on the computer to get back to work. Today is one of those days that makes it feel like it's all worthwhile! Air temps in the lower 90's, kind of muggy, but not a cloud in the sky. Water temps in the lower 80's. Feels almost tropical!

Oh, we got some of those frog log/critter ramp things. My housemate put them in the pool yesterday. And naturally, since he's almost deathly afraid of spiders, that was the first thing he saw climb up on one of the pads, and then figure out how to get out of it!

This morning though, I rescued two very young frogs, and a pretty good-sized toad, from one of the skimmers. So apparently they're either getting sucked into it, or they're just thinking it looks like an inviting place to go, so they swim in, and are too stupid to come back out!

I have had only a mild wind storm since I put them up. They flapped around quite a bit, but suffered no damage. A really strong wind may break them or the lines. That's the risk I am taking, as the wind here often picks up very quickly giving you not much warning.

PS. A neighbor down the street has had two quite large triangular sails to provide shade for his side yard. Seeing his sails survive the weather a couple of years now emboldened me to put up mine.

Nice. In my case, I only need half my in-ground pool shaded due to the hillside shade which covers the other half. I will probably go with two or three cantilever umbrellas that I can fold up quickly. I also prefer breaking up my concrete patio for an embedded base for the umbrellas.

A pool should be a "must have" in retirement. A shaded pool is even better because you can float all day on the pool while drinking beer, listening to music or even watching TV that I have already set up an older flat screen against my house that I no longer need inside my house.

raw

Details edited out.

CUSTOM BUILT SHOTCRETE SWIMMING POOL
* Dimensions ~ 20' x 11' straight line ~ 62 linear ft ~ 220 sq ft
* see price sheet for all included items and options
$38,950.00
Permit and Site Plans (Allowance)
Pebble Tec® or Pebble Sheen® Pool Finish - Pool
** Upgrade to Premium Colors (Add $4/sq ft $4,800.00
SUB-TOTAL - SWIMMING POOL SECTION: 44,750.00

*** POOL CONTROLS & CUSTOM FEATURES *** 0.00
Jandy Pro Series WaterColors Nicheless LED lights
2x 700.00. $ 1,400.00
Jandy® Pro Series Aqualink RS8 Automation System
with Jandy® iAquaLink™ 2.0 - Smart Device.$ 4,350.00
EcoSmarte System (to be priced and added as a change order) - PRICE TBD
* this would be installed in lieu of the Jandy® AquaPure® Electronic Salt Water Chlorine Generator

Jandy® Pro Series JXI400N™ 400K BTU Natural Gas Pool Heater
* Heater can be used to heat the pool and spa
* Gas line not included. See gas line section for cost details
$ 3,950.00
***** Gas Line Notation *****
Gas Lines are not included in our price.

SUB-TOTAL - POOL CONTROLS & CUSTOM FEATURES 9,700.00

Ecosmarte ozone system was price competitive, will require no Chemicals and less maintenance.

Also decking, retaining walls, planters, outdoor kitchen and fireplace.

Told you we were blowing that dough.

This is why I suggested a less expensive above-ground pool with a wood decking to simulate an in-ground pool. An above-ground pool will cost between $5,000 and $10,000 while the decking will cost between $10,000 and $15,000. This type of work can also be done by a DIY guy. Spending $25,000 is easier than $60,000. I have an in-ground pool but the in-ground pool came with the house. If I had to build a pool, it would look something like this:

1.jpg

If I had to build a pool, it would look something like this:

Looks good to me.

Just be sure to build the deck out of composite boards.

Else, the deck maintenance is going to make the pool maintenance look like child play.

This is why I suggested a less expensive above-ground pool with a wood decking to simulate an in-ground pool. An above-ground pool will cost between $5,000 and $10,000 while the decking will cost between $10,000 and $15,000. This type of work can also be done by a DIY guy. Spending $25,000 is easier than $60,000. I have an in-ground pool but the in-ground pool came with the house. If I had to build a pool, it would look something like this:

1.jpg

Now that looks nice.

My grandniece came to have a swim before lunch. Her grandpa used to take her to our home for a visit in the afternoon, but my wife suggested that perhaps a swim before lunch would be better before it gets too hot. The swim also enhances the appetite for lunch.

The water temperature is 85F, while the high is 105F compared to 118F two weeks ago. Back then, the water was 81F. The water has been slowly warming up.

Back
Top Bottom