Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-19-2021, 07:16 PM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, most people run faster with the bear chasing them!
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2021, 12:36 PM   #102
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I'm not showing that one to DW. She already won't let me hike or kayak alone (in FL anyway).
Heh, heh, as the video shows: You're never really ALONE.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 12:58 PM   #103
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetireeRobert View Post
No pool for me!

They sound like one hassle after another after another, ad infinitum.

Required gates/fences, and gates left open "for convenience". What's the point? Dead critters in the pool.
They're definitely not for everyone. But, on days like this (feels like it's well into the 90s, and humid), it makes it all worth while. Now, admittedly, this morning I had to get one small frog and a good-sized toad out of the skimmers. and around 11 am, my housemate got into the pool. I was nearby, and he pointed at something and said "here, this is for you". It was a lizard that was clinging for dear life to the side of the pool, just above the water line. I told him it's a lizard, not a snake or a spider (or anything else he's afraid of), so go ahead and handle it, and he was able to scoop it out.

But it was SOOO nice to be able to just hop in, relax for a bit, and forget about my cares, before hopping back in front of the w*rk computer.
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 01:03 PM   #104
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969 View Post
They're definitely not for everyone. But, on days like this (feels like it's well into the 90s, and humid), it makes it all worth while. Now, admittedly, this morning I had to get one small frog and a good-sized toad out of the skimmers. and around 11 am, my housemate got into the pool. I was nearby, and he pointed at something and said "here, this is for you". It was a lizard that was clinging for dear life to the side of the pool, just above the water line. I told him it's a lizard, not a snake or a spider (or anything else he's afraid of), so go ahead and handle it, and he was able to scoop it out.

But it was SOOO nice to be able to just hop in, relax for a bit, and forget about my cares, before hopping back in front of the w*rk computer.
You might want to try these. We have three of them around our pool.
Froglog: https://www.amazon.com/Swimline-Frog.../dp/B08QX5MN28
Starsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 01:20 PM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Just a couple of years ago a young kid got killed by a gator at Disney.
And if I recall, they were in an area that had signage warning of the gators yet the parents ignored the warning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
We never bought one, but I believe they now have pool alarms that you can arm when you are done using the pool and will sound loudly of there is motion in the pool. Could save a life.
I have not heard/seen any of these that are reliable enough to trust a life with. We had one that was so sensitive that any kind of wind, frog jumping in the pool, bird getting water would set it off. We abandoned it after about two weeks and had a fence put up.

+1 on the "Frog Logs"...they work great. In the couple of years of having them, I have only found one critter in the skimmer.
Old 06-21-2021, 01:26 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsky View Post
You might want to try these. We have three of them around our pool.
Froglog: https://www.amazon.com/Swimline-Frog.../dp/B08QX5MN28
Thanks, I've heard of stuff like that. The guys with the pool company have mentioned something like that, too. I've always wondered if they really work...if the critters are smart enough to actually use them?

They might not work with something like a snake I'm guessing, and definitely not something like a rabbit. But usually, the most common critter in the pool seems to be frogs and toads, so it would help.
Old 06-21-2021, 01:34 PM   #107
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks, I've heard of stuff like that. The guys with the pool company have mentioned something like that, too. I've always wondered if they really work...if the critters are smart enough to actually use them?

They might not work with something like a snake I'm guessing, and definitely not something like a rabbit. But usually, the most common critter in the pool seems to be frogs and toads, so it would help.
It works very well. If you Google "Frog Log" on YouTube, you can see videos of assorted critters using it. We have quite a few rabbits around and we have yet to have one fall/jump into the pool...at least not that I know of. The frogs use it all the time. When I walk around the pool in the evening at least one or two will jump in (we have a large flower bed on the back side of the pool that the frogs love) and they will hop out within a few minutes of my departure. I know a snake was able to use it successfully, as well!
Old 06-21-2021, 01:52 PM   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Yeah, most people run faster with the bear chasing them!

Yeah but as they say. "you don't have to outrun the bear. You only have to outrun your friend."
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 07:00 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Then there is the doggie instead of the froggie escape.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 06-21-2021, 09:09 PM   #110
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
And if I recall, they were in an area that had signage warning of the gators yet the parents ignored the warning.
Actually, there were "No Swimming" signs posted, but no alligator signage. They've installed them since. And the kid wasn't swimming, he was playing on the beach.

There have been a few gators found on Disney property since then, too. At least they're being proactive. Now. 226 alligators removed from Disney World since toddler’s death 5 years ago
Old 06-21-2021, 09:37 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
... around 11 am, my housemate got into the pool. I was nearby, and he pointed at something and said "here, this is for you". It was a lizard that was clinging for dear life to the side of the pool, just above the water line...

How about an 8ft long lizard?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 11:45 AM   #112
Give me a forum ...

No danger of alligators where I am. The sun however will burn you to a crisp.

With the 4 shade sails installed this year, I have been able to use my pool more. Water temperature is 80F or so, even with the pool shaded.

You can see the pool is for swimming. No waterfall or decorative features. It's 12' deep at the diving board.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 06-27-2021, 04:19 PM   #113
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

With the 4 shade sails installed this year, I have been able to use my pool more. Water temperature is 80F or so, even with the pool shaded.

You can see the pool is for swimming. No waterfall or decorative features. It's 12' deep at the diving board.

Looks especially inviting - if you live in the PNW:cool smiley: YMMV

Old 06-27-2021, 04:24 PM   #114

Quote:

Very pretty pool!
Old 06-27-2021, 04:29 PM   #115
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

Great shade. I have a pool but only partially shaded by the hillside. Can you easily remove the shade in case there is a high wind event? If you can, I may get one….or a large cantilever umbella shade that I can fold up.
2177V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 06:14 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vchan2177 View Post
Great shade. I have a pool but only partially shaded by the hillside. Can you easily remove the shade in case there is a high wind event? If you can, I may get one….or a large cantilever umbella shade that I can fold up.
It took me a looong time to put up the sails, particularly as I had to adjust the tension at each line. Taking them down will not be as long, but could be 1/2 hour.

I have had only a mild wind storm since I put them up. They flapped around quite a bit, but suffered no damage. A really strong wind may break them or the lines. That's the risk I am taking, as the wind here often picks up very quickly giving you not much warning.

And standing up on a ladder holding the lines to the sails to disconnect them, you are bound to be pulled off the ladder by a gust.

PS. A neighbor down the street has had two quite large triangular sails to provide shade for his side yard. Seeing his sails survive the weather a couple of years now emboldened me to put up mine.

His sails were attached to the fascia board on the roofline of his 2nd story. That's 20-ft from the ground. Not something you remove in a few minutes. My attached points are only 12-ft up, but I would not do it in a windstorm.

PPS. The larger sails have a steel cable running around their perimeter. My larger rectangular tan-colored one is like that.

Old 06-28-2021, 07:08 AM   #117

Quote:
I knew I'd never have the guts to cough up the money to have a pool built. So to get around that, I bought a house with a pool already installed!

Where I'm at in Maryland, it's really only useful from about mid-May through maybe late September. We have had early, warm springs in the past, but, of course, not since I've owned a house with a pool.

It hasn't given me any regrets, yet. I have a pool company that comes out and opens it, closes it, and does a weekly maintenance. I could probably do most of what they do, myself, but this is one of the few areas I like to splurge on.

The only real annoyance I've had so far, is the cover. My pool is a weird size, 23x51 feet. The closest sized cover I could find, at the time, was 30x55, which left it a bit short on the ends. If the water level dropped too far in the winter, and I didn't keep a watch on it, it would sag, pull a water bag or two in, and get leaves and much underneath the cover.

The cover's also cheap. It had a 5 year warranty, but one of those pro-rated ones. After three winters, it's pretty much shot. The water bags tend to not last very long, either. But, on the plus side, it was cheap!

I've thought about looking into one of those more expensive covers, where they have sort of a zig-zag pattern of supports and it stretches tight, anchoring in the concrete, but I've heard those are expensive.

Anyway, 3 years into it, and no regrets yet. I'm only 51 though; I might feel different when I'm in my 80's. One feature I like about the pool now, but might bite me on the butt as I age, is that it's a bit of a distance from the house, maybe 150 feet. It's also somewhat out in the open. No overhanging trees, and I'd say the closest tree of any real substance is at least 50 feet away. On a hot summer day, it feels like an oasis out in the middle of nowhere, and having it not right up against the house makes it feel kind of like I'm on vacation, somehow. But, as I age, I'm sure I'm going to complain about that distance!

A few years into the pool, we got one of the covers you describe. No regrets! The pool is much cleaner on opening and closing. It will be in the high 90s this week. After dinner last night, DH got in the pool and played some pool volleyball. After sunset, all the garden solar lights came on and we set the LED pool light to cycle between blues and greens. When we got a little cold, we switched to the hot tub. I got too warm and went back into the pool. I think we were there for a couple of hours.

I know I’ll be cooling off every evening this week.

I slept very well last night.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Weeds through pavers?
Old 06-28-2021, 07:42 AM   #118
Recycles dryer sheets

Weeds through pavers?

Question for you who have a pool with pavers as decking.

Our builder says they put polymeric sand and gravel under the pavers. We asked about landscape fabric as well to discourage weeds peeking through. He said it was unnecessary. Any experiences with pavers and weeds?

Thanks!
GLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 07:49 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLM View Post
Question for you who have a pool with pavers as decking.

Our builder says they put polymeric sand and gravel under the pavers. We asked about landscape fabric as well to discourage weeds peeking through. He said it was unnecessary. Any experiences with pavers and weeds?

Thanks!
By unnecessary, he probably means a waste of effort. Weeds will grow no matter what you do, more from what lands on the pavers than what's currently underneath. Weed seeds that land from the wind, birds, critters will sink into the spaces and find just enough soil and sustenance that also gets deposited.

You will get weeds, but it's not a deal breaker. Easy enough to spray and treat from time to time.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2021, 12:51 PM   #120

I just came in from the pool, and hopped back on the computer to get back to work. Today is one of those days that makes it feel like it's all worthwhile! Air temps in the lower 90's, kind of muggy, but not a cloud in the sky. Water temps in the lower 80's. Feels almost tropical!

Oh, we got some of those frog log/critter ramp things. My housemate put them in the pool yesterday. And naturally, since he's almost deathly afraid of spiders, that was the first thing he saw climb up on one of the pads, and then figure out how to get out of it!

This morning though, I rescued two very young frogs, and a pretty good-sized toad, from one of the skimmers. So apparently they're either getting sucked into it, or they're just thinking it looks like an inviting place to go, so they swim in, and are too stupid to come back out!