Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-29-2021, 11:33 AM   #121
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

I have had only a mild wind storm since I put them up. They flapped around quite a bit, but suffered no damage. A really strong wind may break them or the lines. That's the risk I am taking, as the wind here often picks up very quickly giving you not much warning.

PS. A neighbor down the street has had two quite large triangular sails to provide shade for his side yard. Seeing his sails survive the weather a couple of years now emboldened me to put up mine.

Nice. In my case, I only need half my in-ground pool shaded due to the hillside shade which covers the other half. I will probably go with two or three cantilever umbrellas that I can fold up quickly. I also prefer breaking up my concrete patio for an embedded base for the umbrellas.

A pool should be a "must have" in retirement. A shaded pool is even better because you can float all day on the pool while drinking beer, listening to music or even watching TV that I have already set up an older flat screen against my house that I no longer need inside my house.

2177V is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2021, 11:57 AM   #122
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLM View Post
Details edited out.

CUSTOM BUILT SHOTCRETE SWIMMING POOL
* Dimensions ~ 20' x 11' straight line ~ 62 linear ft ~ 220 sq ft
* see price sheet for all included items and options
$38,950.00
Permit and Site Plans (Allowance)
Pebble Tec® or Pebble Sheen® Pool Finish - Pool
** Upgrade to Premium Colors (Add $4/sq ft $4,800.00
SUB-TOTAL - SWIMMING POOL SECTION: 44,750.00

*** POOL CONTROLS & CUSTOM FEATURES *** 0.00
Jandy Pro Series WaterColors Nicheless LED lights
2x 700.00. $ 1,400.00
Jandy® Pro Series Aqualink RS8 Automation System
with Jandy® iAquaLink™ 2.0 - Smart Device.$ 4,350.00
EcoSmarte System (to be priced and added as a change order) - PRICE TBD
* this would be installed in lieu of the Jandy® AquaPure® Electronic Salt Water Chlorine Generator

Jandy® Pro Series JXI400N™ 400K BTU Natural Gas Pool Heater
* Heater can be used to heat the pool and spa
* Gas line not included. See gas line section for cost details
$ 3,950.00
***** Gas Line Notation *****
Gas Lines are not included in our price.

SUB-TOTAL - POOL CONTROLS & CUSTOM FEATURES 9,700.00

Ecosmarte ozone system was price competitive, will require no Chemicals and less maintenance.

Also decking, retaining walls, planters, outdoor kitchen and fireplace.

Told you we were blowing that dough.

This is why I suggested a less expensive above-ground pool with a wood decking to simulate an in-ground pool. An above-ground pool will cost between $5,000 and $10,000 while the decking will cost between $10,000 and $15,000. This type of work can also be done by a DIY guy. Spending $25,000 is easier than $60,000. I have an in-ground pool but the in-ground pool came with the house. If I had to build a pool, it would look something like this:

2177V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 01:33 PM   #123
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vchan2177 View Post
If I had to build a pool, it would look something like this:
Looks good to me.

Just be sure to build the deck out of composite boards.

Else, the deck maintenance is going to make the pool maintenance look like child play.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 01:46 PM   #124
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vchan2177 View Post
This is why I suggested a less expensive above-ground pool with a wood decking to simulate an in-ground pool. An above-ground pool will cost between $5,000 and $10,000 while the decking will cost between $10,000 and $15,000. This type of work can also be done by a DIY guy. Spending $25,000 is easier than $60,000. I have an in-ground pool but the in-ground pool came with the house. If I had to build a pool, it would look something like this:

Now that looks nice.
Old 06-30-2021, 03:08 PM   #125
Give me a forum ...

My grandniece came to have a swim before lunch. Her grandpa used to take her to our home for a visit in the afternoon, but my wife suggested that perhaps a swim before lunch would be better before it gets too hot. The swim also enhances the appetite for lunch.

The water temperature is 85F, while the high is 105F compared to 118F two weeks ago. Back then, the water was 81F. The water has been slowly warming up.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 04:26 PM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Even though I loved our private pool in Scottsdale, my community pool here in Nova is so luxurious I am spoiled. There is a huge "adult" pool with lap lanes, a monster water slide, zero entry section for the small kids, showers lockers lots of lounge chairs and natural shade.

Plus they added a separate kiddie pool which has a pirate ship in the middle, some overhead water features and more chairs and umbrellas. And this is all walking distance from my house.

But sometimes I ride my bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20210625_201615639.jpg (794.2 KB, 14 views)
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote