Thinking of building a pool...what are the pro's and con's?

The other thing to consider is that the grandkids will probably only be interested in the pool for a limited number of years... the older they get the lower their interest in hanging with gram and gramps at their pool will be. $100k is just the initial cost... you have maintenance costs after that. But even just the $100k initial cost divided by 15 or so year that the grandkids will be interested is over $6k a year.

We used our pool quite a bit when my kids were young. Then, it sat mostly unused for the last 20 years, while I put a lot of money into it.

This year, when my 5-year-old grandniece came to swim in my pool everyday, and I joined her along with her grandpa (my BIL), the pool gets used again. I have been in the pool this year more times than in all of the last 10 years.

My grandniece keeps urging my wife to join in. My wife said she would do so when the water temperature gets in the 80s.

During Covid isolation last summer, we enjoyed our pool a lot more than usual.

Regarding cost: Consider the cost of landscaping around the pool. That cost a lot more than the pool itself. I recommended concrete. We put in paver, which is much more difficult to keep clean. The landscaper we hired came highly recommended, but he did not do the paver drainage very well and we had to redo a lot of it, which added to the cost.

We put a fiberglass pool in 19 years ago. Gunnite would have been more expensive, but we live a couple of miles from a quarry, and when they dynamite a new section, it registers about 3 on the Richter scale and has been enough to put cracks in one of our neighbor's pools. It has held up well. It isn't to hard to do the chemistry and it needs cleaning, but swimming in it regularly helps as well as using the robot vacuum.

We will continue to use it far more now that I am retired. I like to swim for exercise-can't really do it in our pool. But that's not the only exercise I do.

Regarding Harley's swim spa comment. There are several brands of swim spas. We have one of the smallest ones, When we redid our deck, we built it around a new swim spa. Usually we use it as a spa, and I have to let it cool to swim for exercise. If you are thinking about putting one in the basement, think again. You need a wide entrance to have it installed. And you will have humidity issues.

Wow, I did not know pools are getting so expensive. Could you share the size of the pool, or any special feature it may have?

Hi, OP here. The responses have been very helpful. Regarding the pool budget, the pool is rather small but the other stuff adds up as follows:

Pool in ground $72K (includes pumps/heater etc)
Add electric and Plummer $5K
hardscape to connect to the house (tabby) $8K
Landscaping $4K
Water features $2K
Gate around pool area $6K
Cover $3K

The wait list is similar to what others have suggested (late 2021). Just trying to decide whether to push ahead or call it off. GK's visit only twice a year and we have access to a pool at the nearby club (as plan B). We have a dock and canal/creek (w/boat) but also have an occasional alligater which dampens the swimming mood. Thankfully never had any issues. Can't decide!!

Given that you have access to a club pool and the grand kids only come a couple times a year, I think you’d have to decide solely based on your desire to use the pool (you and your spouse). Unless the budget and work involved are no big deal to you, it doesn’t sound like the pool will get used enough.

Lots of good information here, so I won't add too much. Depending on where you are and how big the pool will be, watch the depth sizes. If you have a smaller "sport pool" (say 15,000 gallons) if it's too shallow (say from 3.5 to 5.0' deep) then it can get VERY warm in the summer. Also, before you contract to build, make sure the builder has ALL THE MECHANICAL items IN STOCK. Pumps, valves, heaters, etc....there is quite the shortage on many items because of COVID and the freeze that destroyed so much in TX/OK/LA a few months ago. I am sure you would love to have a big concrete hole in the ground sitting empty for months while waiting for a pump to show up in the supply system.

+1 on a SWCG (salt water chlorine generator). Chlorine pucks are getting pretty expensive and some areas of the country getting liquid chlorine can be quite the pain.

Get a variable speed pump as opposed to a single or two speed. They are MUCH cheaper to run and next month, there is a law that will pretty much preclude selling single speed pumps for pool use.

Last thing...there is a pool forum (Trouble Free Pools) that was/is absolutely instrumental in me learning all about having and maintaining a pool. It's free and there are a lot of very smart folks on there and many threads on builds past and present. Those folks save my arse when we had a few days of -15 degree temps and a pool that I don't winterize. There is also a lot of great info on the dependability on systems (pumps/heaters/SWCG/etc) that is also helpful.

Last edited:
I just took a quick look at your budget. We added a pool in 2018 and the extras were all more than I had planned, sometimes 2 x more. As others have mentioned, we did redo our whole city backyard and two decks (with Trex). The whole project took about a year and cost just under $100K with my DH doing the work that he could, including the deck, dirt work and landscaping.

We pay the pool company to open and close, each is about $400. We have a salt generator and I would recommend that. I am able to do all of the chemicals and testing. I would also recommend an automatic cover.

We live in Iowa so the season is short, early May to mid September. A heater is a must here.
That all said, we love it, we swim every day that we can and my only regret is not doing it earlier.

Hi, OP here. The responses have been very helpful. Regarding the pool budget, the pool is rather small but the other stuff adds up as follows:

Pool in ground $72K (includes pumps/heater etc)
Add electric and Plummer $5K
hardscape to connect to the house (tabby) $8K
Landscaping $4K
Water features $2K
Gate around pool area $6K
Cover $3K

The wait list is similar to what others have suggested (late 2021). Just trying to decide whether to push ahead or call it off. GK's visit only twice a year and we have access to a pool at the nearby club (as plan B). We have a dock and canal/creek (w/boat) but also have an occasional alligater which dampens the swimming mood. Thankfully never had any issues. Can't decide!!

Follow your gut instinct: Don't do it. Use that $100k for college fund for grandkids. Use the community club pool.

We built a new house 4 years ago, then put in ground fiberglass pool about 3 years ago. Salt system, and a pool cleaner robot. It really is not any significant work. No heater, just the sun and ambient temps. Big cartridge filter that is easy to clean or replace. The biggest work is closing pool in winter, about 2 hours start to finish including putting everything away and the safety cover on. Opening in spring is about 1 hour. The fiberglass is quick install, as Bamaman said approx 2 days to install it. The some additional electric work for the pump, and then whatever the concrete around the pool takes to get done.

The pool does get some small junk that either floats into the skimmer basket, or sinks and the robot picks it up. Beyond that the chlorine is automatically controlled by the salt system. I check the water chemistry a few times a year, but for the most part it really is not any work once the pool is open and running the normal pump cycle. I get about 4, maybe 5 months of use depending on the spring and fall temps. I could extend that with a heater, no need at this time.

Would I do it again? Not sure, my DW is the one that really wanted it. The pool does allow for great family parties with the younger kids. To me it is the money spent and not the increased workload. That money could have stayed invested or used for different purpose. But it was part of the total house cost.

...Things we'd do differently
1. I hate dealing with DE. I would go with a sand filter next time, even if the filtration isn't as good as DE....

I'd take a look at new cartridge filters before sand. I've had DE, sand, and now cartridge. For me, cartridge is the easiest to deal with. No backwashing which wastes water... and no backwash valve to restrict flow. No DE or sand to be replaced. You just have to hose down the cartridges once or twice a year. It's still a pain but WAY easier than DE. The grids in a DE filter are near-impossible to put back together correctly after cleaning. In my experience, sand is the worst of the 3, in terms of effective filtration and requires more backwashing than DE. DE is the best, but recent improvements in cartridge filters are starting to rival DE at 5 microns.

What's not to like about this? Arrange unlimited use for you and your family in exchange for taking over managing the maintenance of the pool, maybe even paying or sharing the cost. If no fence, add a fence at your expense or share expense with a convenient gate from your property. Write down the agreement, at least informally, and agree on a term with escape clauses for both sides as necessary.

Keep the $100K in your pocket.

Give that a try before you put in a pool.

We had a pool at our house in FL, never again. Once the novelty wore off, we only used it to jump in to cool off, and then back out again. Not worth the expense and upkeep for that. And we found out the hard way what happens if you don't maintain Cl, pH, etc. (yellow algae bloom), though I've heard saltwater pools have become very popular - I don't know anything about them. The only people I've known who found pools worthwhile were those with kids and/or grandkids that wanted - it's a big draw for kids of all ages.

.The only people I've known who found pools worthwhile were those with kids and/or grandkids that wanted - it's a big draw for kids of all ages.

And that last part "draws kids" means it can also be a liability. Attractive nuisance for neighbor kids.

Too many stories of kids drowning in pools. Even kids getting caught under pool covers.

Remember Lou Costello, the famous comedian of Abbot and Costello fame? He and his wife had a child drown in their pool. He was never the same after that. Ruined his life.

....GK's visit only twice a year and we have access to a pool at the nearby club (as plan B). We have a dock and canal/creek (w/boat) but also have an occasional alligater which dampens the swimming mood. Thankfully never had any issues. Can't decide!!

We often load up on our pontoon and head out on the lake and then swim from the pontoon boat. We also have spots on the lake that are shallower that we can anchor and then swim and walk around. Is there a better place that you could boat to and then swim that would be safer from alligators?

We often load up on our pontoon and head out on the lake and then swim from the pontoon boat. We also have spots on the lake that are shallower that we can anchor and then swim and walk around. Is there a better place that you could boat to and then swim that would be safer from alligators?

yep, plenty of water all around but best to be in the boat until we get in the open waters. We do swim once we get out of the creeks and find a sand bar.

We bought a house with a pool already built.
It is a saltwater pool. We use it 7 months a year. It is large enough to swim in it.
I don't find the maintenance to be that difficult at all. I bring the the water sample to the pool store and they test it and tell me what I need.
It requires scrubbing from time to time and cleaning the filter.
All in all, we love it in our lanai and it looks good from the entrance way.

We used our pool quite a bit when my kids were young. Then, it sat mostly unused for the last 20 years, while I put a lot of money into it.

This year, when my 5-year-old grandniece came to swim in my pool everyday, and I joined her along with her grandpa (my BIL), the pool gets used again. I have been in the pool this year more times than in all of the last 10 years.

My grandniece keeps urging my wife to join in. My wife said she would do so when the water temperature gets in the 80s.

My grandniece came for her daily visit, and I swam with her again today.

The air temperature was 116F. The water was 81F. My wife still has not been in the water. Yet, because the air was hot, she did not stay out in the backyard long to watch us swim.

I have to second the recommendation to visit troublefreepool.com if you want to learn everything you need to know about proper pool care. Amazing community.

Maintaining a pool can be very easy and inexpensive if you stay away from the pool store and their "advice". Get your own professional titration based test kit, and read up on proper pool chemistry and maintenance. Salt water chlorine generators make chlorination very easy, but there are other ways to add chlorine such as Stenner pump systems which is what I have.

I do all my own testing, chemical adjustments, repairs, maintenance and opening/closing. I find taking care of the pool to be very relaxing and rewarding. Key to proper pool sanitation is knowing the FC/CYA relationship. If you don't know your CYA level, you can't know your proper chlorine level...they are linked.

I only and have two words for you: Don't do it.

And pool is NOT an investment, its an expense.

PS: We had ours' built. Used it for the first 3 years and then just maintained it rest of the time.

We built a new house 4 years ago, then put in ground fiberglass pool about 3 years ago. Salt system, and a pool cleaner robot. It really is not any significant work. No heater, just the sun and ambient temps. Big cartridge filter that is easy to clean or replace. The biggest work is closing pool in winter, about 2 hours start to finish including putting everything away and the safety cover on. Opening in spring is about 1 hour. The fiberglass is quick install, as Bamaman said approx 2 days to install it. The some additional electric work for the pump, and then whatever the concrete around the pool takes to get done.

The pool does get some small junk that either floats into the skimmer basket, or sinks and the robot picks it up. Beyond that the chlorine is automatically controlled by the salt system. I check the water chemistry a few times a year, but for the most part it really is not any work once the pool is open and running the normal pump cycle. I get about 4, maybe 5 months of use depending on the spring and fall temps. I could extend that with a heater, no need at this time.

Would I do it again? Not sure, my DW is the one that really wanted it. The pool does allow for great family parties with the younger kids. To me it is the money spent and not the increased workload. That money could have stayed invested or used for different purpose. But it was part of the total house cost.

I forgot, I would highly recommend the robot pool cleaner, we love ours. The pool guy called him Steve, so that name stuck.

We put one in 12 years ago. In addition to the pool installation cost, factor in the natural gas source if you don't have gas in your neighborhood, your fence, and decking. We got something called coolcrete because we live in the south. I expanded the deck area when I build so it would be more usable for entertaining. Also consider where the pump will go because you don't want to hear it at night in the winter when it kicks on to avoid freezing in sub-32 temps. Also consider the monthly pool service and repair costs. We pay a service $260 per month, plus expect about an extra $1,000 per year worth of items that need to be replaced (motors, remotes, cleaners, filters, etc).

We got the Salt Water pool, so chlorine is automatic and easy (my simple non-scientific understanding is an electric charge turns NaCl into sodium and chlorine). Imagine we have saved a bunch on chemicals over the years.

We use the back yard for entertaining, and use the hot tub fairly regularly. On the plus side, the 500 gallon gas tank we buried in the yard to heat the tub (and pool if we wanted) serves to run our grill too, which is a plus since we live on a hurricane zone and face the threat of losing power.

Cheap...our small HOA community pool is considered public & so must be tested every day...contract with the pool service runs $1,200/month during the season, not including $75/month for the required phone, which the city department that does pool inspection "prefers" we leave connected year-round.

No heater, so only usable late May to early September most years.

Even in the summer a thunderstorm can cool it off to the point of having to wait for a few days of full sun to restore it back to a comfortable temperature.

Too much money... too much work

We had a pool built in 1999 and sold that house in 2012 so we have a pretty good experience of the highs and lows. Initially, the experience was euphoric, exhilarating - we had made it! The kids played in it a lot and we had pool parties and enjoyed using it. After a couple of years we used it less and less - our dog loved to cool down in there and we spent hours throwing the ball for her - we had encouraged her to swim as I had a fear of her drowning. The bills mounted, the equipment was struck by lightning (I kid you not :() maintenance was a pain, especially if we wanted to be away for a few weeks at a time.

This was a 34' free-form gunite pool, with spa, heated. It cost $37k to put in, plus landscaping (1999 prices). It cost us a further $18k to maintain and repair over the next 12 and a half years until we moved. Today, it would cost about treble to build and waiting lists are long. In addition, don't forget to consider the additional electricity cost for the pump and gas for the heating.

We would not do it again, although we have considered it from time to time. We have a 'splash pass' to our local city pool for $130 a season and swim there 6/7 mornings a week from Memorial Day through mid-August when it closes weekdays when the schools go back. The pool stays open on weekends until the end of September. The pool is heated and has lifeguards. Most mornings when they have 6 lanes roped off for laps, we have the place to ourselves.

Last edited:
In the middle of blowing that dough. Costs from the pool page of the project for the curious. About twice our guess, and we normally are not too far off on projects. Got three quotes, all similar. These guys had best plan, and could start the soonest. Also a big fish in the area with excellent reviews. We signed on late Feb. Hole dug mid May. Rough plumbed and rebar in. Just notified that concrete is currently not available so things will be backing up further on construction. Feel like the third car in a 300 car pileup.

Details edited out.

CUSTOM BUILT SHOTCRETE SWIMMING POOL
* Dimensions ~ 20' x 11' straight line ~ 62 linear ft ~ 220 sq ft
* see price sheet for all included items and options
$38,950.00
Permit and Site Plans (Allowance)
Pebble Tec® or Pebble Sheen® Pool Finish - Pool
** Upgrade to Premium Colors (Add $4/sq ft $4,800.00
SUB-TOTAL - SWIMMING POOL SECTION: 44,750.00

*** POOL CONTROLS & CUSTOM FEATURES *** 0.00
Jandy Pro Series WaterColors Nicheless LED lights
2x 700.00. $ 1,400.00
Jandy® Pro Series Aqualink RS8 Automation System
with Jandy® iAquaLink™ 2.0 - Smart Device.$ 4,350.00
EcoSmarte System (to be priced and added as a change order) - PRICE TBD
* this would be installed in lieu of the Jandy® AquaPure® Electronic Salt Water Chlorine Generator

Jandy® Pro Series JXI400N™ 400K BTU Natural Gas Pool Heater
* Heater can be used to heat the pool and spa
* Gas line not included. See gas line section for cost details
$ 3,950.00
***** Gas Line Notation *****
Gas Lines are not included in our price.

SUB-TOTAL - POOL CONTROLS & CUSTOM FEATURES 9,700.00

Ecosmarte ozone system was price competitive, will require no Chemicals and less maintenance.

Also decking, retaining walls, planters, outdoor kitchen and fireplace.

Told you we were blowing that dough.

We bought a house with a pool (solar heated, no jacuzzi), and we only use it a few times a year. We also live in a coastal climate that only gets super warm for a short time during the summer. The solar panels work very well in the spring and summer - the pool will get to 90+ degrees! - but by October the pool gets way too cold to swim in. I'm guessing it costs us about $2-2.5K a year in maintenance and repairs - we have a weekly pool service.

Even though we rarely use it, I still love having the pool. The backyard is much more inviting, it requires less effort to maintain than a lawn, and it adds to the value of our home. (It's also great for when our friends come over with their kids.) It definitely makes it hard to ever want to swim in a public pool again with all the chlorine and people...

If I were considering adding a pool for $100K for just the two of us in retirement, I'd have to think really hard about it. If we had kids, or lived in the desert, it would be a no-brainer. It definitely adds to the value of the home, but the ROI is low - they say 25% - and not every buyer wants a pool. (Backyard hardscaping can have a 150%+ return, so doing a more complete backyard makeover might help the overall ROI.)

Back
Top Bottom