Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-26-2021, 01:27 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncbill View Post
I'd rather be loaded nekkid into the cardboard box aka "cremation container" & have the suit donated.

Exactly my thought - why burn a good suit?
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2021, 01:43 AM   #42

At age 64, we've been thinking if we ever want to get another puppy we need to do it soon
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 04:36 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
At age 64, we've been thinking if we ever want to get another puppy we need to do it soon
I'm 69 years old, and at this point my cockatiel has about a 5 year remaining life expectancy. When my previous one died, I was not just bereft, but I couldn't handle the new silence in my den; hence the reason I have the current one. When I'm 74 or so, I'm sure I'll be getting another one....and that one will be my last.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 05:44 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
Ronstar, what color is that new Bronco going to be? I personally like cactus grey and I see that is an option color for the new bronco's.
The Bronco most likely will be white. But since Ford has delayed/ temporarily quit building broncos due to roof problems, I bought a Jeep. And I postponed my Bronco reservation until 2023 model year. And if I trade my Jeep, I may blow some dough on the new Wrangler V8 instead of a Bronco.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 06:06 AM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
The Bronco most likely will be white. But since Ford has delayed/ temporarily quit building broncos due to roof problems, I bought a Jeep. And I postponed my Bronco reservation until 2023 model year. And if I trade my Jeep, I may blow some dough on the new Wrangler V8 instead of a Bronco.
OHHH! Sorry, if that was explained in a post, I missed that if you did. I did know you bought that Jeep, but thought that Bronco was still going to happen.

Thanks Ronstar.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 06:12 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
OHHH! Sorry, if that was explained in a post, I missed that if you did. I did know you bought that Jeep, but thought that Bronco was still going to happen.

Thanks Ronstar.
Bronco would happen if DW gets her way, but I'm not sure now.
Old 08-31-2021, 05:15 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

It's worth buying a new car once every 10 years, or even more often, for the safety technology upgrades. Whether one still has the cognitive abilities to learn how those features work is a different matter.
cranberryjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 06:07 PM   #48
Recycles dryer sheets

Agree with @cranberryjoe. One problem with buying quality stuff that lasts is that my stingy personality clashes with lust for new technology. So although the 8-year-old coffee maker may be in great shape, the modern ones have the hydraulic ramjet peanut-butter-spreader attachment. Wouldn't that be cool to have?

You don't always know what you're missing, either. The 2012 Camry with still under 100k miles might last longer than we will and still looks and runs fine. But then you rent a car, and even if it's just a new Corolla, it's got lane-minder technology, a backup camera, heated seats and an entertainment system that requires a grandchild to program, and somehow the 2012 just seems kinda lame.

Then we visited Switzerland and I'd reserved a Toyota or something. "Sorry, all we have is a Mercedes. Will that be all right?"
isisdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 06:51 PM   #49

Did you sing,

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz.
MC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 06:54 PM   #50
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by isisdave View Post
You don't always know what you're missing, either. The 2012 Camry with still under 100k miles might last longer than we will and still looks and runs fine. But then you rent a car, and even if it's just a new Corolla, it's got lane-minder technology, a backup camera, heated seats and an entertainment system that requires a grandchild to program, and somehow the 2012 just seems kinda lame....
I hate rental cars. I can't even figure out how to turn on the radio, which is really all I want to do. I don't need all the other geegaws.
Old 08-31-2021, 06:59 PM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormy Kromer View Post
I am 56. Like most here I've lived below my means, even when my means were lean. I have gotten by well by having a low cost of living which means I buy used, or not so high on the shelf items.

The house needs a new roof soon. I could get out my old scaffolding and shingle it again myself and get along for another 20 years...or...I could hire a contractor to put on a steel roof and "get the last roof I'll ever need!"

Anyone else have an example of "This is the last one I'll ever need to buy!"
I am age 70 and I recently tore off 2 layers of roofing shingles and install GAF cool roof title 24 shingles which should last 20 to 30 years or until I am age 90 or perhaps age 100. Cost $5K in material at Home Depot but a contractor wanted $15K. I did it myself without hiring a helper because I am a exercise freak and I needed to maintain my fitness. I also knew that I could not re-roof my house in my 80's. Took me 3 months plus 1 week working about 3 to 4 hours a day. Typical shift was 90 minutes of work and 2 hours of rest and repeat. Must have scaffolding and an Bosnitch air gun nailer. Removing the two layers of old roofing took most of the time. if you only have one layer of old shingles to remove, you should finish the job in less than 3 months. The $10K that I saved will be used to help me buy a used corvette. You should be in a reasonable physical condition to re-roof your house. Be aware that a steel roof can be noisy during a rain event.
2177V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 07:16 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by vchan2177 View Post
I am age 70 and I recently tore off 2 layers of roofing shingles and install GAF cool roof title 24 shingles which should last 20 to 30 years or until I am age 90 or perhaps age 100. Cost $5K in material at Home Depot but a contractor wanted $15K. I did it myself without hiring a helper because I am a exercise freak and I needed to maintain my fitness. I also knew that I could not re-roof my house in my 80's. Took me 3 months plus 1 week working about 3 to 4 hours a day. Typical shift was 90 minutes of work and 2 hours of rest and repeat. Must have scaffolding and an Bosnitch air gun nailer. Removing the two layers of old roofing took most of the time. if you only have one layer of old shingles to remove, you should finish the job in less than 3 months. The $10K that I saved will be used to help me buy a used corvette. You should be in a reasonable physical condition to re-roof your house. Be aware that a steel roof can be noisy during a rain event.

Good on you for diy ing that job. It's a big one. We got a new roof in January, 24 squares of comp shingles and all new OSB plywood, plus a sun tunnel for the hall (worth it!). Almost $18,000. No way I would consider to diy that myself. But, I'm no roofer.
MC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 08:29 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
I hate rental cars. I can't even figure out how to turn on the radio, which is really all I want to do. I don't need all the other geegaws.
For me, the trouble is trying to turn the damn radio OFF!
Old 08-31-2021, 08:53 PM   #54
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
When I was on the road a lot I always got the same most popular car there because I didn't want to learn a another car every other day.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 08:53 PM   #55
Moderator Emeritus

At almost 78, I'm on my last....

House
New SUV
Mustang convertible
Dog
Set of Snap On sockets
50 screwdrivers
Three piece suit
Replacement hips
Set of golf clubs
Wife

Old 08-31-2021, 09:18 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Rider View Post
Did you sing,

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz.
A couple of years ago in Amsterdam the rental company offered me a Jaguar! That was really cool until our next trip to Europe when my co-worker got an Alfa Romeo Giulia! That was the nice thing about renting cars in Europe - I often got to drive cars that I would never be able to afford at home.
jcfradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 06:41 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

We picked up two Aussie pups last week. Almost tearfully, DH declared that these are probably the last dogs we will get. We are in our early 70’s, so could be.
Now if the house can just remaining standing after these two little tornadoes get through puppyhood.
Choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 06:46 AM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

^ Congrats on the pups!
Old 09-01-2021, 06:53 AM   #59

Quote:
I bought my last suit about 22 years ago. It was very high quality and I have taken good care of it. Very expensive, but it still looks great, so I feel it was money well spent. And I am proud to report that it still fits; I wore it to my nephew's wedding this summer.

My dad bought me two JC Penney Suits and a blazer when I started my career (that just ended!) after college 23 years ago. I got away with shirt and tie most of the time for the first three years and then got myself out of NOVA and to FL where the standard was collared shirts and rarely needed to dress up. The only suit I bought since was for my wedding and I still have all three for the odd time I need one (mostly if I go on a cruise and weddings/funerals). I don't know about "quality" but I think my dad got his money out of them... the wedding turned out to be a bad investment but at least it's a nice suit!
Old 09-01-2021, 06:56 AM   #60

Quote:

The worst is when you pick up an unfamiliar car at night and after you are underway, it starts raining and trying to figure out the wipers when the car is too dark to see the markings. I always look for the wiper controls when I get in a rental now.