Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-01-2021, 06:58 AM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Not me, but my dad, who retired at 62 shortly after buying what he told us was his "last" new car. He lived to age 90 and bought three more.
I like your Dad.
When I hit forced retirement at age 60, I bought my last Corvette. Since then, we've bought two more last Corvettes.
Gearhead Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2021, 07:51 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We both bought our last cars in 2019 and 2020. So far they only have about 6-7k miles on them. At 73 and 74 I thought they would be our last cars but with the development and improvements on self-driving cars we may eventually buy again. It will depend on our health and the reliability of the new cars.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 08:53 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

We have a double layer asphalt shingle roof that's still holding up well despite being at least 25 years old. We plan to stay another 30. I'm 66 and don't want to deal with any roofing problems in my 70s. House was built in 1976. So we're buying our last roof and gutters. Getting all plywood boards and 7 skylights replaced, install architectural shingles and 6 inch gutters.
ER2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 07:35 AM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vchan2177 View Post
I am age 70 and I recently tore off 2 layers of roofing shingles and install GAF cool roof title 24 shingles which should last 20 to 30 years or until I am age 90 or perhaps age 100. Cost $5K in material at Home Depot but a contractor wanted $15K. I did it myself without hiring a helper because I am a exercise freak and I needed to maintain my fitness. I also knew that I could not re-roof my house in my 80's. Took me 3 months plus 1 week working about 3 to 4 hours a day. Typical shift was 90 minutes of work and 2 hours of rest and repeat. Must have scaffolding and an Bosnitch air gun nailer. Removing the two layers of old roofing took most of the time. if you only have one layer of old shingles to remove, you should finish the job in less than 3 months. The $10K that I saved will be used to help me buy a used corvette. You should be in a reasonable physical condition to re-roof your house. Be aware that a steel roof can be noisy during a rain event.
That's a lot of hours (300+?). How big is the roof?

I reshingled my house (1200 sq ft of roof) last summer. It took 3 hours to tear off the old roof and about an hour install the water barrier. Installing the shingles took a full day, although I had 2 people helping me for about 2/3 of it.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 08:10 AM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ER2B View Post
We have a double layer asphalt shingle roof that's still holding up well despite being at least 25 years old. We plan to stay another 30. I'm 66 and don't want to deal with any roofing problems in my 70s. House was built in 1976. So we're buying our last roof and gutters. Getting all plywood boards and 7 skylights replaced, install architectural shingles and 6 inch gutters.
I will keep my fingers crossed that you don't have a storm or other disaster prior to your demise!

My Dad was having some dental issues in his very late 80s and early 90s and one of the dentists he saw recommended that he look into implants...to the tune of about $80,000. I remember his response to the dentist, "Are you crazy? You want me to spend $80K just so they can go to the crematorium in a farily short order? Uh, no!"
Old 09-02-2021, 12:06 PM   #66
Recycles dryer sheets

We've always been spenders, so during the last 18 months of no-travel/limited socializing, I was surprised to realize there were items we used every day that were "good enough but not really the best."

Had to make myself lose the mindset of "Oh, these are just a small thing, they'll work well enough" to 'up my game' more consistently.

They were small things, mostly. Steak knives being one example. No way would I spend $1K on a set of steak knives....but the $100 sets were never satisfactory. So I looked at the middle range knives and spent almost 3x more - but I LOVE them! So much so I ended up replacing half my knives with new ones.

I bought my "last car" in 2017, and I still love it. But once I saw that Mustang Mach-E SUV, I decided that I just may be looking for a new car in, say, 2024 or so. LOL!
zippy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 02:16 PM   #67
Recycles dryer sheets

We’re in our last house - we built with no-step entry and 3 ft. wide hallway and doorways. We think we’re on the last Corvette as it’s a custom, but we have a new Jeep and a new SUV on order and those won’t be the last.

I’m not sure I have anything else that is the “last” except for the suit & tie that I bought for my sons wedding years ago. No need to wear it let alone replace it.
JRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 03:06 PM   #68

Some people seem to be able to do it easily. One of my neighbors bought his home over 20 years ago and is currently in his mid-80s. He says he will only move out if he has a toe tag attached, and I believe him.

Two other neighbors only moved out in their mid-90s, and only because they went into nursing homes.

As for me, I have bought my last "serious" camera several times in the last decade, and I can only hope I'm done with that now. Still, you never know...
Old 09-02-2021, 03:59 PM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

I don’t think I’ll need another roof - got one 2 years ago. I won’t need a corvette - had one for 20 years and that was enough. I have a jeep and a truck now, but I’m not ruling out getting at least one more of each.

And I’ve been getting a new camera every 2 years for the last 10 years, and I don’t expect camera purchases to stop. And we’ll need to downsize our house at some point maybe.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 04:13 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
Only wear a suit to weddings and funerals, so this could be the suit I get cremated in.
Wore a suit to the second to last funeral I went to. Most others were wearing Hawaiian shirts. Funeral was for WWII Bomber Pilot, Bird Colonel USAF.

Last funeral, another Bird Colonel, I wore a Polo shirt with logo of organization we volunteered at.

Hawaiian attire was appropriate. Polo shirt was appropriate. I sure don't want people wearing suits at my funeral, don't want to be cremated in a suit. Need to add to my final arrangements document. Really don't get the suit thing.
JT90505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 04:14 PM   #71
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
If New England didn't exist, however, I would move to the Puget Sound area (I was stationed in Bremerton when I was in the Navy).

Bremerton is booming last ten years or so. Lovely area, there is a large retirement community in the area too.
neihn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 04:14 PM   #72

Our current dog is the last one we will have. She is 14, in pretty good shape, but she has slowed down.

We love having a dog (we have had at least one for the last 35 years), but they are a restriction on your freedom to go somewhere on the spur of the moment.

So, we will cater to her hand and foot, but she is the last.
Old 09-04-2021, 07:56 AM   #73

In my early 60s, I might be on my last suit, which I bought earlier this summer.

Probably not the last house, since I don't think I will want to do (or manage) home maintenance past my mid-70s.

Almost certainly not the last car, since mine was used in a long-haul commute for over 4 years before I retired. The numbers say it should hit 200K miles in 2024, and I can't imagine driving a car further than that. I'm interested in an electric car, but cost of one with reasonable range is making me start to think that is 10 years off.
Out of Steam is online now   Reply With Quote