Join Early Retirement Today

This is truly scary.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:29 PM   #1
gone traveling

This is truly scary.

Bible study , thursday April 19 North Carolina.

Comment..

From a group of ladies, George Bush must know what he is talking about and doing because he is a saved Christian!

Oh Boy.
dumpster56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: This is truly scary.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:43 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell are too and they agreed that the 9/11 attacks were caused by "pagans, abortionists, feminists, gays, lesbians, the American Civil Liberties Union and the People For the American Way." So, it must be true.
Old 04-22-2007, 06:09 PM   #3
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc
Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell are too and they agreed that the 9/11 attacks were caused by "pagans, abortionists, feminists, gays, lesbians, the American Civil Liberties Union and the People For the American Way." So, it must be true.
My sister in law said that Katrina happened because of the things that happened in New Orleans!!

she is 49 goes to church and really believes this #hiT!
My wife is soooo sick of her!
Old 04-22-2007, 06:21 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just remember, from another thread on this board we learned that conservatives, like the ones you mentioned, think with their heads. Liberals like you think with your hearts, though.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 06:31 PM   #5
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeeeee
Just remember, from another thread on this board we learned that conservatives, like the ones you mentioned, think with their heads. Liberals like you think with your hearts, though.
Me a liberal? Nah, I am middle of the road, sick of the morons shooting up the schools, I would not take away guns but I sure would re open every last MENTAL hospital in the country and put every last jerk there!

Iraq? $hit we need to have the big dance sooner or later and Iraq was not even in the mix! Iran saudi arabia Pakistan!!
Old 04-22-2007, 07:25 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

To quote John Prine...

"Blow up your tv,
throw away your papers,
move to the country,
build you a home.

Plant a little garden,
smoke a lot of reefer
eat a lot of peaches,
try and find Jesus,
one your own."

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:50 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888
Bible study , thursday April 19 North Carolina.

Glad to hear you were attending Bible study newguy888! After the ladies made the comment, what did you say? How did you contribute to the discussion?
Old 04-23-2007, 06:04 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy888
My sister in law said that Katrina happened because of the things that happened in New Orleans!!
What does someone who thinks like that say when her young child gets cancer, original sin?
Old 04-23-2007, 07:10 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

What do non-Christians say? People suffer and people die. That's what happens in this world. There is NO RELIGION whose God can be claimed to prevent it, so I'm not sure why this question always comes up when Christianity is discussed. However, Christian parents can at least take comfort in the belief that their child is in a better place, with a loving God who did not initially intend for suffering and death to be part of existence.

As a Christian, I know firsthand that Christians are fallible. I certainly am, so why wouldn't I expect George Bush to be? Being a Christian doesn't necessarily make you a better person, or a better President. You can still go off in the wrong direction - I do it all the time.

Ultimately, though, I think most Christians would rather have a President who at least TRIES to follow God than one who does not. I just think it's unfortunate that so many people think reactionary conservatives have the corner on that kind of faith.

I personally don't think it was Bush's Christian faith that got us into this morass in Iraq. I think it was his politics. Not necessarily the same thing at all, even though some will claim it is.
LKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 07:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeeeee
Since you brought it up. I didn't make a value judgement on the statement, so here it is. Many of you believe I feel thinking with your heart is a bad thing. On the contrary I believe it is good that the respective sides tend to think like this. Without thinking with the heart, many times progress would halt. It was the heart that wanted to go to the moon not the head. It is the heart that felt for the oppressed workers in the late 1800's and early 1900's that brought about many labor laws improving the working environment for most people in America.

If one allows the heart to have too much control then we find ourselves in the mess of no limits, which is essentially anarchy. This can be seen by those who live above their means. Many think they deserve to have things when they can't afford them, so they live on credit. Simple psychology shows that people will do as little as possible to recieve a reward. If the government is willing to give me money to sit on my butt and have babies, why should I work to earn the small paycheck I would recieve from a minimum wage job? This is where the coneservative "think with the head" is useful.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:28 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKH

Ultimately, though, I think most Christians would rather have a President who at least TRIES to follow God than one who does not. I just think it's unfortunate that so many people think reactionary conservatives have the corner on that kind of faith.

I personally don't think it was Bush's Christian faith that got us into this morass in Iraq. I think it was his politics. Not necessarily the same thing at all, even though some will claim it is.
I would rather have a president who isn't superstitious and makes decisions based on reality instead of mythology.
Non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:28 AM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

I think it was Churchill who said that if a person wasn't liberal at 20, he had no heart, and if he wasn't conservative by 50, he had no brain. LOL.

My question is, do we really want to live in a world where Donald Trump can brag that he takes in $28k a MINUTE, when young parents who work two full-time jobs can't make that in a YEAR? Does anything else think that something's wrong with that picture?
Old 04-23-2007, 08:30 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non sequitur
I would rather have a president who isn't superstitious and makes decisions based on reality instead of mythology.
You'd have a tough time convincing me there is no God, hon. Might as well try to persuade me my mother doesn't exist.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:30 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

There is definitely something wrong with Donald Trump's picture!!

(I think it's his hair...)

:P

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:35 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKH
You'd have a tough time convincing me there is no God, hon. Might as well try to persuade me my mother doesn't exist.
And that's the whole point. I don't care what you believe and I'm not trying to convince you of anything.
Non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:40 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKH
My question is, do we really want to live in a world where Donald Trump can brag that he takes in $28k a MINUTE, when young parents who work two full-time jobs can't make that in a YEAR? Does anything else think that something's wrong with that picture?
my question is what is wrong with the parents. That wage is only 6.73 per hour for each. That is too close to minimum wage for the parents to have tried to move ahead. You can go to work at McD's or Wendy's for more than that. To answer your question yes I do want to live in a world like that. The reason is it means there is opportunity to succeed. The Donald was well off to start, but he made the billions it wasn't given to him.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:42 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKH
I think most Christians would rather have a President who at least TRIES to follow God than one who does not.
how can you follow what you can not see?

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:44 AM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff
What does someone who thinks like that say when her young child gets cancer, original sin?
Rosie O'Donnell says that lying causes cancer. She on Tv so she has to be right.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 08:57 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Non sequitur
And that's the whole point. I don't care what you believe and I'm not trying to convince you of anything.
If you don't care, then why the "zing" toward Christians? "Superstitious" isn't exactly a compliment, after all.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:59 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazygood4nothinbum
how can you follow what you can not see?
Good question. But people do it all the time, Christian or not. They follow their conscience, they follow their heart, etc. Some folks pray and hope for guidance from someone outside themselves. And some folks think they have that when they don't. Been there, done that, so won't judge someone else who fouls up.