Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-14-2020, 05:33 PM   #41
Confused about dryer sheets

Just want to mention that a Wyze cam with an exterior enclosure will do similar for under $35
powlusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2020, 05:34 PM   #42
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnyfrombrooklyn View Post
Was listening to a podcast yesterday and the service had someone actually watching your ring like device and tell the intruder to scram and call police.
Hmm, how does this work?

I hear lots of people having a Ring but I don't even know how it is installed and how the whole concept works. I get a feeling that the more gadgets are out there to 'protect' the bad guys are getting pretty aggressive and not afraid to come buy and check out cars and take stuff out if they are unlocked.
I think I would be more afraid to go to bed if the Ring kept sending me alerts.
AbbA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:53 AM   #43

The more Ring doorbells the better for the rest of us. I'm going to looks for a broken RingDoorbell on eBay, being sold for parts, and "install" it, hehe!
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 11:05 AM   #44
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
The more Ring doorbells the better for the rest of us. I'm going to looks for a broken RingDoorbell on eBay, being sold for parts, and "install" it, hehe!
I notice most criminals, don't really see the ring doorbell, so it won't be much of a deterrent.
Besides, everybody knows the ring doorbell is expensive, so folks that have it must be rich ... worth stealing from
Old 02-15-2020, 01:22 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Is this what the "Ring" you're all talking about is?

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/all/cut...c-rss_20200215

It's kind of a long article but information is what we want anyway.

Quote:
Ring promises to “make neighborhoods safer” by deterring and helping to solve crimes, citing its own research that says an installation of its doorbell cameras reduces burglaries by more than 50 percent. But an NBC News Investigation has found — after interviews with 40 law enforcement agencies in eight states that have partnered with Ring for at least three months — that there is little concrete evidence to support the claim.

Thirteen of the 40 jurisdictions reached, including Winter Park, said they had made zero arrests as a result of Ring footage. Thirteen were able to confirm arrests made after reviewing Ring footage, while two offered estimates. The rest, including large cities like Phoenix, Miami, and Kansas City, Missouri, said that they don’t know how many arrests had been made as a result of their relationship with Ring — and therefore could not evaluate its effectiveness — even though they had been working with the company for well over a year.

Ring’s rise also comes at a time when reports of property crimes, including package theft and burglaries, are already in steep decline across the United States.
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 02:02 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

I would prefer not to know if someone does that.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 06:59 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
I notice most criminals, don't really see the ring doorbell, so it won't be much of a deterrent.
Besides, everybody knows the ring doorbell is expensive, so folks that have it must be rich ... worth stealing from
wow. hope your tongue was firmly planted in your cheek when you wrote that post.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 07:00 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
why?
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 07:03 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

I use the rings more for seeing that the dogs are OK when we are gone than for preventing criminal activity.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 11:44 PM   #50
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
3 rings
2 dogs
a .45
and a 12 gauge
This is us as well lol
NanaW is offline   Reply With Quote