Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 02:32 PM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
It got up to 61° today...starting to drop some now though. We've had about an inch of rain total, since the wee morning hours. Yesterday morning , there was about 7" of snow/frozen yuck on the ground....this afternoon....NADA, except where it was shoveled or lowed into piles, and they're nearly gone also!

S'posed to drop to upper 20's tonight, low to mid 30's & sunny tomorrow, and then back up into the 40's for a couple of days...with sunshine!

This sure beats the ice, sleet, freezing rain, and double-digit below zero wind-chills of the last couple of weeks!!!
Wow, i'm only 200 miles north of you but it only got into low 40's today. Glad we got the rain. Melted a good amount of the snow although there's still alot left. Unfortunetly, temps will drop 15-20 by early morning and we'll get a couple inches of snow.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2008, 03:36 PM   #142
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
68F right now in Dayton OH; windows open.

1F a few days ago.
Old 12-27-2008, 04:07 PM   #143
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
(snip)Do y'all ever have power outages during ice storms?
We do have that problem, but it seems less common here in the city than in the suburbs or country. On my street anyway the power company is pretty good about keeping trees well trimmed. Some power outs seem to come from just the weight of ice on the lines, but around here I think more are caused by icy branches coming down onto the lines.
I can remember one of our Seattle snowstorms (not this one) when my power was out for over 24 hours, within walking distance of downtown. As haha says it is more often branches coming down on power lines that cause the problem, and they will do that with or without accompanying ice loads, if there are strong winds. We had a big windstorm, I forget whether last year or two years ago, and that is the second time my power was out over 24 hours, inside the City limits (not the same house as before, though). There was no snow or ice that time, just heavy rain and very high winds which blew over many entire trees and brought down a lot of branches from the trees that didn't fall. Some of the folks at my church were without electricity for over a week but that was on the east side of the lake, not right in Seattle proper.

I got back here a few hours ago after two days at my parents' home. My car hasn't been out of the garage since before the first snowfall, which is getting close to three weeks now. I took buses, and got within about a mile of my parents' home, then walked the rest of the way (which was actually kind of fun). My aunt had a big adventure. She got in from Southern California on Monday evening—her flight was late but not canceled like so many others. My parents advised her to take a taxi from the airport to their house, and gave her directions for the best (i.e. least hilly) route, but the cab driver said, "Don't worry, I know how to get there". He drove her via a longer, hillier route than provided by my parents, and finally got stuck two blocks from their house. He unceremoniously put my aunt (who will celebrate her 85th birthday in about three weeks) and her suitcase out of the car, in the snow, in the road, at 9 o'clock at night! Fortunately, a neighbor of my parents saw her struggling up the hill and gave her a ride the rest of the way. The cab driver didn't even offer to help her with her bag or knock at the door of a nearby house and ask if she could borrow the phone so my aunt could call my parents!!

Wednesday evening we all got into the car and went off to church for the Christmas Eve service. The services at my regular parish were canceled altogether, but I wouldn't have been able to get there in any case. With chains on my dad's car, we made it to the church OK, as did perhaps 30 other folks. While people were preparing for the service, another member and I cleared the snow off the walkway. We had no de-icer so my mom got the saltshakers out of the kitchen, and there was just enough in them to sprinkle the cleared areas, which kept them from icing up again during the service. Afterwards, several of us helped the organist get her car unstuck from the parking lot.

We nearly made it all the way back to my parents' house after the service, but lost a chain just before the last corner coming up to the house. There was no way we could make it up that hill with only one chain! Fortunately, my dad was able to back the car off the hill and turn down the street before my parents' house. At the end of the block, there is a staircase going up to their street. My dad and I walked up to our house, brought back shovels and implements of destruction (to paraphrase Arlo Guthrie) and cleared some of the snow off the steps so my mom and aunt could get up them. From the top of the stairs, it was only half a block more, but the snow was quite deep, so my mom took my dad's arm and my aunt took mine, and we picked our way the rest of the way to the house. All arrived, tired but safe, had a late dinner and went off to bed.

The storm had a last gasp yesterday. It snowed on and off during the day, but the snow was usually mixed with rain. Today the temperatures are above freezing, and expected to stay there all night. I hope to be able to get to church tomorrow, but there is still a good bit of snow and slush on my street, which has a high crown. It is frustrating that a ten-foot stretch of slush may keep me from getting out of here! I'm hoping it rains a good bit tonight, which will get rid of enough of the remnants that I won't get stuck there.

I hope all had a Merry Christmas and are getting some relief from the storms, snow and "cabin fever".
Old 12-27-2008, 05:08 PM   #144
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyounge1956 View Post
I can remember one of our Seattle snowstorms (not this one) when my power was out for over 24 hours, within walking distance of downtown. As haha says it is more often branches coming down on power lines that cause the problem, and they will do that with or without accompanying ice loads, if there are strong winds. We had a big windstorm, I forget whether last year or two years ago, and that is the second time my power was out over 24 hours, inside the City limits (not the same house as before, though).
I believe that was November 06. Incredible rains and wind, my ex had a good sized Doug Fir come down on the roof of the apartment next to hers. I was staying with her that night, I didn't even wake up. It was plenty cold the next morning though.

Ha
Old 12-27-2008, 06:43 PM   #145

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Quote:
I can remember one of our Seattle snowstorms (not this one) when my power was out for over 24 hours, within walking distance of downtown.
I believe that was November 06. Incredible rains and wind, my ex had a good sized Doug Fir come down on the roof of the apartment next to hers. I was staying with her that night, I didn't even wake up. It was plenty cold the next morning though.

Ha
No, I know it was before 1997, because that's when I moved out of that house. The '06 storm is probably the one I was thinking about for the second time my power was out for over 24 hours, inside the city limits. No snow that time, IIRC, but I could be confusing two different storms.

I spent several hours this afternoon on snow removal and hope I will be able to get the car out and go church tomorrow. It was raining a little as I came in, and that will help.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:27 PM   #146

Talked to my sister Christmas day in Kalamazoo, MI. She was visiting her son and family and they were all going to drive the next day to Chicago to have a little Christmas with her other son. They had a lot of snow in Kazoo, just about a record for December. 54" I think she said. Then I see today its warming up any raining in Chicago. That has to be a real mess. Hope they made it OK. If the weather turns to freezing again, they will be in big trouble. They are returning to Kazoo Sunday and then leaving Tuesday for back home to NC. All the while, I'm sitting here enjoying the 80 degree weather. "Cold" front coming in Sunday, dropping the temps to the low 70's. Dang!
Old 12-27-2008, 07:51 PM   #147
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm - 29 and snowing in Kansas City. Snowed in Albuquerque, New Mexico driving thru yesterday after visiting friends in Sierra Vista, Az for Christmas.

My Sister called Christmas - 8 inches and 32 down the I-5 near Kalama Wa.

Nippy.

heh heh heh - May have to go visit N.O. again.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:30 PM   #148
Recycles dryer sheets

While in Hawaii, my BIL called some friends in Michigan who ask about the temperature. He said it was 68 degrees. They replied that it was 6 or 8 degrees there also.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:01 AM   #149
Moderator Emeritus

Wisconsin has weird weather. In the 50s, higher than Phoenix. However, driving home it dropped from 50 to 34 in the space of 45 minutes as a front came in. A lot of the snow has melted and you can see green grass.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:39 AM   #150
Moderator Emeritus

Sometimes I am glad to be far enough north to miss the freeze thaw thing that some of you are having. Blech. More snow on the way but better than slush. About 10 degrees and sunny today.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Old 12-28-2008, 07:45 AM   #151
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
Sometimes I am glad to be far enough north to miss the freeze thaw thing that some of you are having. Blech.
Making frozen lemonade out of lemons, eh?
Old 12-28-2008, 09:24 AM   #152

Right now it's 30° out and SUNNY!!! The snow is all gone!!! Now we look out and see green grass...instead of grayish-white snow & slop!!!

However, across town the rivers are up, and expected to reach near record levels again.....they set new records in September when the remnants of Ike came up to visit us. Here in town, only a couple of buildings are actually in the flood plain, the rest is open land or parks....so little damage occurs from local flooding.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:40 PM   #153

Just caught up on all the blogs in the forum. The weather notes remind me of a funny saying a friend has about where to live. He's from Ohio but lives in Punta Gorda, FL and says he'll never live north of the signs that read "BRIDGE FREEZES BEFORE ROADWAY". That's his northern limit.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:48 PM   #154
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post
The weather notes remind me of a funny saying a friend has about where to live. He's from Ohio but lives in Punta Gorda, FL and says he'll never live north of the signs that read "BRIDGE FREEZES BEFORE ROADWAY". That's his northern limit.
My brother in Missouri used to joke that we could save a huge amount in tax dollars if a question was included in all written drivers' tests:

"All bridges may ice in cold weather. True or false?"

Then we could take down all of those expensive signs and stop having them made.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 12-28-2008, 12:57 PM   #155
Give me a forum ...

Yesterday the temps were up into the 40's and it was raining steady melting a lot of snow. I was happy. I should've know it wouldn't last. When I got out of w*rk this morning at 5am the rain had turned into snow. The roadways were covered in ice with snow over it and 30mph winds. One of the worst driving experiences of my life. I drove about 8 miles on the highway most of the time not being able to see the road. I just hoped it was in front of me.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:39 PM   #156
Give me a forum ...

We're having a heat wave, a tropical heat wave...high of 58 today.
Hit the outdoor jacuzzi and even got my hair wet.
Wind is now blowing and temps have dropped to 38.
Brrrrrrrr...ol man winter is back upon us.
My first seed catalog arrived today. Hope springs eternal.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:44 AM   #157
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
My brother in Missouri used to joke that we could save a huge amount in tax dollars if a question was included in all written drivers' tests:

"All bridges may ice in cold weather. True or false?"

Then we could take down all of those expensive signs and stop having them made.

Not to hijack the thread but here’s another weather related sign rant for you.
What’s the purpose of the signs that warn: “Danger, Fog Area”? I agree that fog is dangerous but it’s pretty easy to see. It’s easier to see fog than to read a sign about it. If it’s really, truly foggy, then you can’t see the sign anyway! I suspect that highway sign companies are all owned by brothers in law of politicians.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:23 AM   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
(snip)
OOh! ooh! can I see it? Which one did you get??
Old 12-29-2008, 12:21 PM   #159

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Quote:
I got my first plant catalog about 1 1/2 weeks ago....from Bluestone Perennials. The others from Burpee, Forest Farm, Klehm's Song Sparrow, and Jackson & Perkins Roses should start arriving any day now!!! I can hardly wait!!!
Old 12-29-2008, 02:11 PM   #160
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Johnny's Selected Seeds. 6 more arrived today. I called them all last year and had my name removed in the name of saving trees. oh well.
I am finding that seeds by catalog are now too expensive for my taste. So I revert back to my local Agway farm store, right down the road. The seed variety is limited but most of the short season types are exactly right for my area.
weather report - today we are right back to winter again. 35 F today, but it's SUNNY!!!! I needed that after 2 days of cloudiness and rain and gloom. Blech